PDA

View Full Version : Carter v. Canada

Adelaide
02-07-2015, 09:32 AM
People with grievous and irremediable medical conditions should have the right to ask a doctor to help them die, Canada's highest court says in a unanimous ruling. The Supreme Court of Canada says a law that makes it illegal for anyone to help people end their own lives should be amended to allow doctors to help in specific situations....

The court has given federal and provincial governments 12 months to craft legislation to respond to the ruling; the ban on doctor-assisted suicide stands until then. If the government doesn't write a new law, the court's exemption for physicians will stand...

All nine justices share the writing credit on the ruling, an unusual action meant to signal particular institutional weight behind the decision.

The one-year delay in implementing the ruling means the ban on doctors assisting in suicides remains in place until then.

Supreme Court says yes to doctor-assisted suicide in specific cases - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-says-yes-to-doctor-assisted-suicide-in-specific-cases-1.2947487)

I have to appreciate that our Supreme Court tends to show an ability to correctly gauge most situations. Unanimous common sense ruling quite frankly. I'm not sure how the government will implement this, or if they'll meet the one year they've been provided but this is finally the right direction. The ruling states physician's are under no obligation to assist someone if they do not want to do so.

Directly from the Supreme Court ruling for Carter v. Canada (https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/14637/index.do):

This said, we do not agree that the existential formulation of the right to life requires an absolute prohibition on assistance in dying, or that individuals cannot “waive” their right to life. This would create a “duty to live”, rather than a “right to life”, and would call into question the legality of any consent to the withdrawal or refusal of lifesaving or life-sustaining treatment. The sanctity of life is one of our most fundamental societal values. Section 7 (https://zoupio.lexum.com/calegis/schedule-b-to-the-canada-act-1982-uk-1982-c-11-en#!fragment/sec7) is rooted in a profound respect for the value of human life. But s. 7 (https://zoupio.lexum.com/calegis/schedule-b-to-the-canada-act-1982-uk-1982-c-11-en#!fragment/sec7) also encompasses life, liberty and security of the person during the passage to death. It is for this reason that the sanctity of life “is no longer seen to require that all human life be preserved at all costs” (Rodriguez,at p. 595, perSopinka J.). And it is for this reason that the law has come to recognize that, in certain circumstances, an individual’s choice about the end of her life is entitled to respect. It is to this fundamental choice that we now turn.

I think that is a brilliant summation on what our rights really entail. I believe that it's incredibly sad that so many people who fought for this have already passed away, some choosing to do so in other countries where it is legal and others without the dignity that they wanted and that our highest court has now thrown their support behind.

Peter1469
02-07-2015, 09:36 AM
I suppose it is a good ruling, should the eventual legislation hold the line at true cases where death is unavoidable.

Adelaide
02-07-2015, 09:53 AM
I suppose it is a good ruling, should the eventual legislation hold the line at true cases where death is unavoidable.

It will include severe disability based on what I'm reading in the actual ruling. In my own advanced directive I have very specific instructions that is applicable to this ruling. Due to having a disease where I could one day require neurosurgery I've written in that if anything goes wrong and I reach a certain level of disability that does not improve within 30 days I want all life preserving measures stopped - with this ruling, I'll be able to add in that should that not kill me I would want physician-assisted suicide. You might not die if you experience prolonged hypoxia or part of your brain is injured, but you can very likely be severely disabled which I would never want. I would not want to live with serious deficits, nor would I want to put that strain on my family, friends or even the health care system.

I know a few people that have children with disabilities who are very happy children, and a few friends with serious TBIs who are content. Some people can live with varying degrees of disability and have happy or productive lives. But there are also those who would not lead happy or productive lives or whose disability would be so severe that they can't do anything except feel trapped in a body and mind that doesn't work. That would be more frustrating that a long-term terminal/degenerative disease, in my opinion.

Peter1469
02-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Chris
02-07-2015, 11:01 AM
As a libertarian moralist I have mixed thoughts on assisted suicide. Whether I justify rights as duties akin to natural law or in terms of consequences with regard to society, I sort of lean against it. But as a moralist I lean toward it because you can't be moral without the liberty to choose your actions. So I can say I wouldn't choose it but I can't make that choice for others and can see how someone terminally sick and dying and suffering should have to choice to die in dignity.

Adelaide
02-07-2015, 05:21 PM
As a libertarian moralist I have mixed thoughts on assisted suicide. Whether I justify rights as duties akin to natural law or in terms of consequences with regard to society, I sort of lean against it. But as a moralist I lean toward it because you can't be moral without the liberty to choose your actions. So I can say I wouldn't choose it but I can't make that choice for others and can see how someone terminally sick and dying and suffering should have to choice to die in dignity.

I think the written decision by the court really highlights my own opinion: a "right to life" isn't a "duty to live".

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented because of Canadian federalism. I think that technically each province is going to need to come up with their own legislation outlining what is and isn't legal and I have to wonder if the federal government will create something similar to the act that oversees our health care system to say what must be provided for or prohibited. I'm not sure that our constitutional outline of federal versus provincial powers really outlines clearly who is supposed to act in this case. I believe the ruling touched on it (I honestly skipped that part to get to the decision). Still, the provinces are all different so I think it would be better to see a general legislative act by the federal government that allows the provinces to enact a version suitable to their own systems that meets mandatory requirements.