PDA

View Full Version : Disagree but respect

iustitia
02-08-2015, 08:53 PM
There are few people in politics that I can say I really disagree with but still heavily respect whether it's a matter of intelligence, principle or values. For instance, many on both sides greatly respected McCain for his service even if they disagreed with his beliefs. I was one of them, and I admit I was willing to vote for a war monger in 2008 because I believed it was the lesser of two evils. I sided with a liberal war hero over a liberal community agitator. I was not yet at the point I am now where I see it's all smoke and mirrors. But that said there was a time I did respect McCain and that was before McCain went full retard after the election. Anyway...

I know Newt Gingrich probably has few to no supporters on this forum. That said if given the chance I would've voted for him or Ron Paul in 2012 over Romney had the nomination not been decided by the time my state had its primaries. I admire Newt's intelligence. I also admire his tenacity. Many have plenty to say about his grandiosity, bombastic comments, his questionable past, and even leadership ability. But there's one thing Newt was good at and that was galvanizing everyone against a hated enemy... the media. I made this video years tongue-in-cheek but it still amazes me how much balls he had-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRI-YQxJhk

I also deeply envied him for his knowledge of history. Newt was a history teacher. I care more about history than any topic. He used to post videos on YouTube about the American Revolution. I bought a book of his about it but didn't read it after realizing it was a novel. That said, despite being a "Teddy Roosevelt" Republican in his own words, I greatly respected his intelligence and bravado. I also, despite reveling in individualism and rationalism, was often greatly moved by his romanticism. I reject nationalism but when he talked about space exploration and things like that I did get captured by it. I'm an American and have never not wanted to love what America has the potential of.

I think Jimmy Carter gets a pass on some of his policies. It wasn't Reagan that started supporting the terrorists in Afghanistan and Latin America. He expanded those programs and let the CIA go crazy, but it did start under Carter. That said, I honestly feel Carter is a good man and a man of God. I don't think the things he's done with Habitat were for show and for that I respect him. He may have been a one term president and he may get shit for the economy, Iran, and everything Reagan sycophants can think of, but even though he was a shit president he's probably one of the most virtuous men to have held that office in the 20th century. As a man I respect Carter. I could be wrong, though.

And lastly, Pat Buchanan. I love Pat. I can't deny that he's the most level-headed protectionist I've ever come across. I disagree with him on trade, but his stances on war and culture are spot on. I admire his willingness to stand by principle, even to the point of getting fired. He doesn't care about political correctness, and again even though I disagree with some of his economic beliefs he is one of the best defenders of that position I've seen. And he also is a man of history. I respect his revisionist work on WWII.

That's all I've got for now. Anyone you really disagree with but sincerely respect for whatever reasons?

PolWatch
02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Jerry Ford. I disagreed with his pardon of Nixon and he really did not do much as president. He was too involved in trying to restore some honor to the office. He was not elected as either President or Vice President and did not want the job. He came into office at a terrible time...we had just found out that our presidents lie and do bad things. Until then, we thought they were all men of honor even if we disagreed with their policies. Jerry Ford succeeded in restoring some honor to the office of the President. I will always admire and respect him for that.

Mister D
02-08-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm a Buchanan fan myself. I've said before that you know a man by his enemies and Pat has all the right enemies. I do agree with him on some economic issues. What I find hard to reconcile with my own views at this point in my life is his patriotism. Pat comes from a generation of conservatives that truly loves America.

Anyway, I will think about this and hopefully come up with a response.

Green Arrow
02-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Why Newt? He's just as bad as Romney. They got into an argument in one of the primary debates over which one of them pushed for Obamacare first, lol. Not to mention he has backed very police state policies, he's a neocon on foreign policy, etc.

Mr. Right
02-08-2015, 09:26 PM
I like Pat too. He's tops in my book and that makes him a prime target for leftist "enthusiasm" and lies. They spend so much time attempting to discredit him that they have little time to eat.

iustitia
02-08-2015, 09:31 PM
Why Newt? He's just as bad as Romney. They got into an argument in one of the primary debates over which one of them pushed for Obamacare first, lol. Not to mention he has backed very police state policies, he's a neocon on foreign policy, etc.

My beliefs have changed over the years. That said I supported Newt's proposed "second contract with America". I respected his intelligence, cleverness and creativity. Though he often over-stated his influence in the Reagan years, his success in the 90's was something I did not question. I also accepted at face value his traditionalism and opposite to abortion. I admit he is a progressive Republican. In my eyes he got results, his ideas were charming, he was mostly consistent, and unlike others he was actually able to communicate and speak clearly. Just listening to him talk was a treat. His knowledge and vision were assets, as was his resoluteness and outright refusal to back down on stage or in the race itself. Romney on the other hand was just a douchebag liberal from Massachusetts that was inconsistent on gun rights, abortion, taxes and so on. I always believed Romney was just a two-faced New England chameleon. Gingrich I saw as a powder keg pragmatist, if that makes any sense.

But again, this was years ago when I still believed elections mattered. I never even got to vote in the primaries; Romney go the win by the time my state got to vote in the primary. I mainly respect his intellect and command of language. And watching him come to blows with other candidates and the media was highly enthralling. I wanted him against Obama.

domer76
02-08-2015, 09:35 PM
There are few people in politics that I can say I really disagree with but still heavily respect whether it's a matter of intelligence, principle or values. For instance, many on both sides greatly respected McCain for his service even if they disagreed with his beliefs. I was one of them, and I admit I was willing to vote for a war monger in 2008 because I believed it was the lesser of two evils. I sided with a liberal war hero over a liberal community agitator. I was not yet at the point I am now where I see it's all smoke and mirrors. But that said there was a time I did respect McCain and that was before McCain went full retard after the election. Anyway...

I know Newt Gingrich probably has few to no supporters on this forum. That said if given the chance I would've voted for him or Ron Paul in 2012 over Romney had the nomination not been decided by the time my state had its primaries. I admire Newt's intelligence. I also admire his tenacity. Many have plenty to say about his grandiosity, bombastic comments, his questionable past, and even leadership ability. But there's one thing Newt was good at and that was galvanizing everyone against a hated enemy... the media. I made this video years tongue-in-cheek but it still amazes me how much balls he had-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRI-YQxJhk

I also deeply envied him for his knowledge of history. Newt was a history teacher. I care more about history than any topic. He used to post videos on YouTube about the American Revolution. I bought a book of his about it but didn't read it after realizing it was a novel. That said, despite being a "Teddy Roosevelt" Republican in his own words, I greatly respected his intelligence and bravado. I also, despite reveling in individualism and rationalism, was often greatly moved by his romanticism. I reject nationalism but when he talked about space exploration and things like that I did get captured by it. I'm an American and have never not wanted to love what America has the potential of.

I think Jimmy Carter gets a pass on some of his policies. It wasn't Reagan that started supporting the terrorists in Afghanistan and Latin America. He expanded those programs and let the CIA go crazy, but it did start under Carter. That said, I honestly feel Carter is a good man and a man of God. I don't think the things he's done with Habitat were for show and for that I respect him. He may have been a one term president and he may get shit for the economy, Iran, and everything Reagan sycophants can think of, but even though he was a shit president he's probably one of the most virtuous men to have held that office in the 20th century. As a man I respect Carter. I could be wrong, though.

And lastly, Pat Buchanan. I love Pat. I can't deny that he's the most level-headed protectionist I've ever come across. I disagree with him on trade, but his stances on war and culture are spot on. I admire his willingness to stand by principle, even to the point of getting fired. He doesn't care about political correctness, and again even though I disagree with some of his economic beliefs he is one of the best defenders of that position I've seen. And he also is a man of history. I respect his revisionist work on WWII.

That's all I've got for now. Anyone you really disagree with but sincerely respect for whatever reasons?
Reagan. He gave this country a positive feeling when it needed it. Likeable kinda guy, too.

Mister D
02-08-2015, 09:42 PM
I like Pat too. He's tops in my book and that makes him a prime target for leftist "enthusiasm" and lies. They spend so much time attempting to discredit him that they have little time to eat.

The neocon "right" isn't fond of him either.

iustitia
02-08-2015, 09:59 PM
I admire his paleo-conservatism. And you're right about being known by your enemies. Do you know how much shit he caught for his book about Churchill, Hitler and WWII? He was immediately called an anti-semite. We'll never again have Taft-era conservatives in American politics. It's either neocons or libertarians.

birddog
02-08-2015, 11:45 PM

Newt or Mitt either one would have been better than the lying muslim we have now!

texan
02-09-2015, 12:08 AM
Ever heard this joke? What team do you pull for? Who is playing Notre Dame this weekend?

Who is running against a democrat? That's my favorite team for now......Why you ask? Most lying rotten admin in a long while, no shame whatsoever, they look you right in the eye and lie like no other.

iustitia
02-09-2015, 02:03 AM
Aaaaand derailed.

PolWatch
02-09-2015, 02:06 AM
This topic is about someone you disagree with but respect...stay on topic please

donttread
02-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Ralph Nader . while I disagree with the big government aspects of some of what he says , everything else sounds very sensible to me and not that out of line with other non Donkephants

Reason10
02-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Newt balanced the budget in the late 90s, while the LIAR/RAPIST tried to take credit.
Newt may be the most intelligent politician alive today. I voted for him in the primaries that year.

Mister D
02-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I admire his paleo-conservatism. And you're right about being known by your enemies. Do you know how much $#@! he caught for his book about Churchill, Hitler and WWII? He was immediately called an anti-semite. We'll never again have Taft-era conservatives in American politics. It's either neocons or libertarians.

Jewish organizations have vilified Pat for a long time now. I think it all started before he wrote that book. He has a history of voicing unacceptable opinions.

I cancelled my subscription to National Review because it became too neoconservative. I still visited their website until they fired John Derbyshire. Haven't returned since.

Anyway, I respect Dennis Kucinich. He is an uber progressive but he's a consistent guy. There is a lot to be said for that. So many people (including many of our members) will do a 180 degree turn depending on who is involved.

iustitia
02-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Jewish organizations have vilified Pat for a long time now. I think it all started before he wrote that book. He has a history of voicing unacceptable opinions.

I cancelled my subscription to National Review because it became too neoconservative. I still visited their website until they fired John Derbyshire. Haven't returned since.

Anyway, I respect Dennis Kucinich. He is an uber progressive but he's a consistent guy. There is a lot to be said for that. So many people (including many of our members) will do a 180 degree turn depending on who is involved.

Yeah I thought Kucinich was nuts but looking back you have to admire a crazy nobody sincere in their beliefs over a popular sociopath saying whatever to win people over. In that sense I guess he was a progressive Ron Paul. Minus the cult.

Mister D
02-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Yeah I thought Kucinich was nuts but looking back you have to admire a crazy nobody sincere in their beliefs over a popular sociopath saying whatever to win people over. In that sense I guess he was a progressive Ron Paul. Minus the cult.

I'm troubled by the fact that virtually anybody with sincere beliefs is dismissed as a loon. There exists a set of liberal beliefs (tired of qualifying term...the folks who pay attention know what I mean) that the discussion of which is verboten.

The Xl
02-13-2015, 10:20 PM
People who I've believed weren't puppets for special interests, on either side, I have some level of respect for, even if I disagree with them