PDA

View Full Version : Administration mulls pared health law

Trinnity
06-19-2012, 09:56 AM
AP Sources: Administration mulls pared health law (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_CARE_OVERHAUL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-06-18-16-22-27)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Covering all the bases ahead of a momentous Supreme Court ruling, the Obama administration plans to move ahead with major parts of the president's health care law if its most controversial provision does not survive, according to veteran Democrats closely involved with the legislation.

Even if the requirement that nearly every U.S. resident have health insurance is declared unconstitutional, the remaining parts of the law would have far-reaching impact, putting coverage within reach of millions of uninsured people, laying new obligations on insurers and employers, and improving Medicare benefits even as payments to many service providers get scaled back.

The White House says President Barack Obama is confident the whole law will be upheld when the court issues its ruling in the next week or two, but officials will be ready for any outcome.

"We do believe it's constitutional, and we ... hope and expect that's the decision the court will render," senior adviser David Plouffe said Sunday on ABC
What a Marxist pita. Get him OUT in November.

Goldie Locks
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Does anyone even know what's in the law yet, including Ubama???

Goldie Locks
06-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Overturning the mandate would have harmful consequences for the private insurance market. Under the law, insurers would still have to accept all applicants regardless of health problems, and they would be limited in what they can charge older, sicker customers.
As a result, premiums for people who directly buy their own coverage would jump by 15 percent to 20 percent, the Congressional Budget Office estimates. Older, sicker people would flock to get health insurance but younger, healthier ones would hold back.
To forestall such a problem, the administration asked the court - if it declares the mandate unconstitutional - to also strike down certain consumer protections, including the requirement on insurers to cover people with pre-existing health problems. That would mitigate a damaging spike in premiums.

Ubama prepared to lose this fight??? Guess he knew it was illegal from the git go.

Cigar
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Does anyone even know what's in the law yet, including Ubama???

Yea I know, but then again, I'm a Job Creator. :)

Trinnity
06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
There may be a ruling on the HC law tomorrow...

wingrider
06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
wait.... now I could have read wrong,, but from my understanding if one part of this law is found unconstitutional, then the whole thing has to be thrown out because there is no severability clause that separates one part from another in its makeup..

Peter1469
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
It would be strange for SCOTUS to read a severability clause into Obamacare, especially considering that there was one present in an earlier form of the bill. It was taken out for some reason.

Chris
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
How Will the Supreme Court Rule on Obamacare? (http://reason.com/archives/2012/06/21/how-will-the-supreme-court-rule-on-obama/1) gives the opinions of a number of "experts" on the case, and the "consensus" seems to be slightly about 50/50 on narrowly striking only the individual mandate. That's my reading of the article anyhow.