PDA

View Full Version : How to turn red states blue and why it will never happen...

nic34
02-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Holder: Change laws to let ex-convicts vote

"Across this country today, an estimated 5.8 million Americans … are prohibited from voting because of current or previous felony convictions,'' Holder said. "That's more than the individual populations of 31 U.S. states. And although well over a century has passed since post-Reconstruction states used these measures to strip African Americans of their most fundamental rights, the impact of felony disenfranchisement on modern communities of color remains both disproportionate and unacceptable.''

"The governor believes that when an individual commits a felony, it is fair they earn their rights back by paying restitution to their victim, court costs and fines,'' spokesman Jimmy Centers said. "Iowa has a good and fair policy on the restoration of rights for convicted felons, and to automatically restore the right to vote without requiring the completion of the responsibilities associated with the criminal conviction would damage the balance between the rights and responsibility of citizens. Too often, victims are forgotten and it is important victims of felonies and serious crimes receive their restitution.''

I think that last part is fair as long as paying restitution, court costs and fines are not exorbitant.

But we all know it will never happen as long as the effort to suppress the vote continues.... and we know why.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/holder-voting-rights-ex-felons/5377119/

Cigar
02-09-2015, 02:03 PM
It's a losing Numbers Game :wink:

Mister D
02-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Not sure if the ex-felon voting bloc is something to brag about...:undecided:

Cigar
02-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Not sure if the ex-felon voting bloc is something to brag about...:undecided:

Why ... they get elected to office with no problem. :laugh:

nic34
02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Its not just ex-felons:

http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/styles/embedded_image/public/voter_rules_2418960.jpg?itok=qHxI5sUJ

Reason10
02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Holder: Change laws to let ex-convicts vote

"Across this country today, an estimated 5.8 million Americans … are prohibited from voting because of current or previous felony convictions,'' Holder said. "That's more than the individual populations of 31 U.S. states. And although well over a century has passed since post-Reconstruction states used these measures to strip African Americans of their most fundamental rights, the impact of felony disenfranchisement on modern communities of color remains both disproportionate and unacceptable.''

"The governor believes that when an individual commits a felony, it is fair they earn their rights back by paying restitution to their victim, court costs and fines,'' spokesman Jimmy Centers said. "Iowa has a good and fair policy on the restoration of rights for convicted felons, and to automatically restore the right to vote without requiring the completion of the responsibilities associated with the criminal conviction would damage the balance between the rights and responsibility of citizens. Too often, victims are forgotten and it is important victims of felonies and serious crimes receive their restitution.''

I think that last part is fair as long as paying restitution, court costs and fines are not exorbitant.

But we all know it will never happen as long as the effort to suppress the vote continues.... and we know why.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/holder-voting-rights-ex-felons/5377119/

You're pretty much admitting that CRIMINALS ARE DEMOCRATS. That sole reason is enough to keep those bastards from voting.

Captain Obvious
02-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Alaska - all that's up there are criminals and republicans.

Where "everyone who's there is running from something".

:biglaugh:

Mister D
02-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Its not just ex-felons:

http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/styles/embedded_image/public/voter_rules_2418960.jpg?itok=qHxI5sUJ

What does that say though when felons, ex-felons etc. are more likely to vote for you? Secondly, when you say "disenfranchisement" people often get the impression that something unfair has happened. I mean...don't go to jail. Seriously. It's not hard.

Reason10
02-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Alaska - all that's up there are criminals and republicans.

Where "everyone who's there is running from something".

:biglaugh:

You've been there, right?

Oh, I see. You got to see that Al Pacino movie, the one with Robin Williams.
So how long have you been using movies to substitute for actual education?
I'm thinking this started for you in middle school.

Captain Obvious
02-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Yes, thanks for noticing that.

nic34
02-09-2015, 02:16 PM
You're pretty much admitting that CRIMINALS ARE DEMOCRATS. That sole reason is enough to keep those $#@!s from voting.

If you've already done your time, you are no longer a criminal.

And thanks for making my point.

Reason10
02-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Here's what I don't get:
These are BAD people. They committed CRIMES. Some have murdered and raped. These people have been sentenced to prison by juries of their peers. Why in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE would you want these douchebags helping pick national leaders?
We don't OWE them the right to vote. In the constitution, there IS NO RIGHT TO VOTE. There are only restrictions on which group Congress can restrict the right to vote, and last time I checked CONVICTED FELONS was not on the protected class list.

Captain Obvious
02-09-2015, 02:25 PM
If you've already done your time, you are no longer a criminal.

And thanks for making my point.

Except if you are a convicted felon, which you are and should be for life.

midcan5
02-09-2015, 02:48 PM

LOL I was there and there is truth to that statement about Alaska. It was a land of those running from something. I wonder if it has changed?

But on topic, an honest news media would change red to blue, let's face it folks most people are middle to lower in America today, and only the democrats have positive job numbers and an improved economy. Check the history in my signature as an example. Build here, develop here, buy here, and we'd be on our way. Leave religion, abortion, regulation to the regulators, gays, and others freedom to do and be left alone and get on with work, real work and not BS economics.

"A final word on politics. As in economics nothing is certain save the certainty that there will be firm prediction by those who do not know. It is possible that in some election, near or far, a presidential candidate will emerge in the United States determined to draw into the campaign those not now impelled to vote. Conceivably those so attracted - those who are not threatened by higher taxes and who are encouraged by the vision of a new governing community committed to the rescue of the cities and the impacted underclass - could outnumber those lost because of the resulting invasion of contentment. If this happens the effort would succeed." John Kenneth Galbraith 'The Culture of Contentment'

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/28281-Just-a-few-Questions
http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/28281-Just-a-few-Questions?p=680502&viewfull=1#post680502
http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/38301-Income-inequality-the-myth-and-the-solution?p=937582&viewfull=1#post937582

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Crepitus
02-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Why ... they get elected to office with no problem. :laugh:
Crap, got Dr.Pepper on my phone!

nic34
02-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Problem is, most in prisons are not violent offenders...

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/prisons_and_drugs#sthash.45ic6IrE.dpbs

Captain Obvious
02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Problem is, most in prisons are not violent offenders...
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/prisons_and_drugs#sthash.45ic6IrE.dpbs

Then focus on the problem, not create another by redefining something that's designed to work.

TrueBlue
02-09-2015, 05:49 PM
You're pretty much admitting that CRIMINALS ARE DEMOCRATS. That sole reason is enough to keep those bastards from voting.
Uh, think again, Bubba! Be sure to read this all the way through!

The Record of Republican Corruption :
[ What kind of "Christian" imagines that
Jesus Christ would want any part of this party? ]

http://liberalslikechrist.org/+Reasonable/gopcorruption-1.html

nic34
02-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Then focus on the problem, not create another by redefining something that's designed to work.

If convicted ex-drug offenders could vote, then maybe the "problem" might finally get addressed....

Captain Obvious
02-09-2015, 05:58 PM
If convicted ex-drug offenders could vote, then maybe the "problem" might finally get addressed....

Why?

If these drug dealers were selling drugs to kids potentially destroying any chance of a decent life to the extent that they earned felonies, fuck'em. Why would anyone want these vermin voting?

Wouldn't be because they're likely to vote democrat if they vote at all, would it?

Captain Obvious
02-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Funny how the left's charge doesn't include the Ted Nugent wackos who hole up and shoot up neighborhoods and earn felonies.

Crepitus
02-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Funny how the left's charge doesn't include the Ted Nugent wackos who hole up and shoot up neighborhoods and earn felonies.
Those are non violent offenders too?

lynn
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Do you really believe that people that have committed felonies care about voting in the first place? Criminals see the government very clearly and the government is the worst in criminal behavior.