PDA

View Full Version : Mubraraks HORRIFIC human rights legacy

Sultan
06-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Mubarak's Horrific Human Rights Legacy

—By Emily Loftis

http://mjcdn.motherjones.com/preset_16/hosni_mubarak_ritratto425x320_0.jpg

Hosni Mubarak, sentenced to life in prison this month and in deteriorating health, was reportedly put on life support in an Egyptian military hospital on Tuesday. (Reuters initially reported that Mubarak been declared "clinically dead" by Egyptian authorities.) Below is an overview of his brutal legacy, as Egyptians ousted him from power in spring 2011.

Cario has been ablaze for the past week. As the Egyptian people have faced expired tear gas (from cans stamped "Made in America"), army tanks, water hoses, bullets, and imprisonment, it is important to know just how bad this United States-supported dictator is. Below, some examples of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's misdeeds which illustrate nicely why so many Egyptians want him out for good.

Torture

Mubarak is most well-known among human rights advocates as a serious offender of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention against Torture [PDF], and Egypt's own constitution. The offenses are innumerable:

The Egyptian Organization of Human Rights reports that between 1993 and December 2008, 460 torture cases were reported, with 167 cases of death due to torture or ill-treatment.
The families of suspects are often tortured to extract information about suspects. One account from 2008 reports that after police officers burst into the home of an absent suspect, they attacked his pregnant sister instead—with a baseball bat. She fell over a flight of stairs and died.
Mubarak has a long and comfortable relationship with hosting and torturing detainees for the United States and the U.K., an arrangement often overseen by Mubarak's newly-appointed Vice President Omar Suleimen.

Freedom of Speech

Since the protests, Mubarak has blocked the internet, SMS and Twitter, cut off activists' cell phone service, imprisoned journalists, shut down Al Jazeera's Cairo headquarters, and seized six reporters and their station's equipment.
Last year, Egypt was listed as number 127 by Reporters Without Borders' Press Freedom Index. Reporter harassment is one reason for the low ranking. Case-in-point: a publisher was kidnapped last April for producing a book about Mohammed ElBaradei, the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate who recently returned to Egypt as a leading voice in the opposition movement. Last year, another member of the press was arrested and slapped with drug charges that reduced his rights under Mubarak's 30-year-old State of Emergency after he reported on forced evictions in Alexandria.
Mubarak also took precautions against any negative media coverage of last year's parliamentary elections, by creating tough restrictions, difficult permit processes and fees on television stations, along with harrassing journalists whose coverage was unflattering.

Police Violence

Videos from recent events show brutal clashes with protesters.
Last June, Amnesty International reported 28-year-old Khaled Mohammed Said was beaten to death by police. The police covered it up by filing a report that he had overdosed on drugs. The [graphic] photo obtained by Amnesty begs to differ.
Police brutality worsened during last year's elections. Plainclothes officers often allowed, or even encouraged, thugs to beat and rape protesters and journalists, according to Human Rights Watch. Security barred access to polling sites and voter intimidation was rampant.

Homelessness

In 2003, Egypt conducted a mass arrest of street children who were then beaten and sexually abused by police officers and older prisoners. They were often denied food, bedding, and medical care. These children had committed no crime, but were considered "vulnerable to delinquency" according to Egypt's Child Law.
Cairo and Giza's shack dwellers live under the threat of evacuation [PDF], due to government's efforts to clean up the urban image.

Perpetual "State of Emergency"

Last May, the Egyptian Parliament voted to extend it's 30-year-old State of Emergency law for two more years. The law allows the government to imprison anyone indefinitely if they are considered a threat to national security.
Under State of Emergency law, the government can (and has) set a curfew, restrict movement and gatherings, shut down publications, conduct unwarranted searches, shut down stores, seize companies, take away weapons, and evacuate areas.
The law also gives the government special power to break up any protest. And often, a peaceful protest results in severe acts of violence by the police against the civilians.

Gay Rights

Homosexuality is so taboo that Egyptian human rights groups won't even defend them. It is not illegal on the books, but often punished under false charges, such as "debauchery".
Gay men are regularly forced to take HIV tests and anal examinations.
A 2004 report by Human Rights Watch published complaints from Egyptian men of having been harassed, burnt with cigarettes, and hung in painful suspension positions while in jail. Authorities often use electroshock on genitals and tongues and encourage other prisoners to rape men accused of homosexuality.

Refugees

According to the U.S. Committee of Refugees and Immigrants, Egypt hosted over 150,000 refugees in 2009.
In 2008, some 30 Africans were killed by Egyptian border police, as they tried to cross the Israeli border.
Life is so uncomfortable for refugees in Egypt, that they haven't even bothered protesting over the past week. We interviewed a couple of Sudanese refugees living in Egypt, which you can read about here. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2011...-rights-record (http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2011/01/mubaraks-human-rights-record)

Calypso Jones
06-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Is nothing compared to the muslim brotherhoods.

Peter1469
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Mubarak was a totalitarian Statist. As the democrats in America grow the power of government we may start to see such things here. It will be dangerous to advocate for limited government and personal responsibility.

moon
06-20-2012, 11:08 AM

*It's conventional etiquette to provide some data. *Or is this simply a nuisance post ?*

Sultan
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Mubarak was a totalitarian Statist. As the democrats in America grow the power of government we may start to see such things here. It will be dangerous to advocate for limited government and personal responsibility.

The list shows not the real extent at all

30 years of madness and torture and killing and corruption was enough.

How Egypts people have suffered cannot be measured.

Peter1469
06-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Statism is dangerous.

Calypso Jones
06-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I'll bet the farm the old guy has been raped and is continuing to be so.

Goldie Locks
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM

That's what I'm thinking.

Goldie Locks
06-20-2012, 07:06 PM
*It's conventional etiquette to provide some data. *Or is this simply a nuisance post ?*

If you wanted to really know what the MB was about you could read up on it, or are you chicken shit?

Goldie Locks
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM

I dont debate Islam with Hasbara, American fascists, Christian nuts, Jihadwatch or Memri quoters, so dont waste yours or my time posting to me

Thank you

per your sig-guess that just leaves you and moon then. Hate to break it to you but this is a public forum, if you only want to talk with like people start your own damn site.

Calypso Jones
06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
per your sig-guess that just leaves you and moon then. Hate to break it to you but this is a public forum, if you only want to talk with like people start your own damn site.
and preferably in the middle east.

Goldie Locks
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
and preferably in the middle east.

Preferably.

moon
06-21-2012, 03:16 AM
If you wanted to really know what the MB was about you could read up on it, or are you chicken shit?

What's this, a personal attack dressed as a challenge ? * Somebody is too full of porridge.*

Sultan
06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
What's this, a personal attack dressed as a challenge ? * Somebody is too full of porridge.*

A certain moderator here invited me here saying it was a much better site than the other with more respectable debaters here.
I'm sensing a bit of taqiyya here or is it kitman?............damn I will have to ask Margot to translate the Arabic for me.

In a week I have had to put 3 mods on ignore so far. Thats something I never done on the other site. It's quite shocking the hostility from certain members here for sure.

Peter though is a sensible guy who you can have a nice conversation with.

Thumbs up Peter the soldier. (sorry cant remember your number) :smiley:

I enjoy seeing your name in a thread :thumbsup:

Sultan
06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Back to topic

4 cops have been given life sentences today for beating to death a man and torturing him to get him to admit to the Alec mosque and church bombing last year. Of course he was innocent. We all know who done the mosque and church bombing and why.

One got 15 years in prison. Now the one that got 15 years is here but as usual the other 4 are in absentia!!!! :angry:

May his soul rest in peace till he faces Mubarak and his gang before the Supreme Court and the Supreme Judge

http://www.alnaharegypt.com/nhar/upload/912%D8%B3%D9%8A%D8%AF%20%D8%A8%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%84.p ng

Sultan
06-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Peter, Moon and others who are interested the programme I was telling you about is on today.

You can watch it here

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/2012/06/2012620124818367927.html

As Hosni Mubarak, the former Egyptian president, lies on his deathbed, The Family offers a fresh perspective on the history and inner workings of the man, his wife and his family.

The story of Hosni Mubarak - along with his wife Suzanne and their two sons - is a tale of politics, power, ambition and greed.

It is a story of a humble birth and a rise through the ranks of the Egyptian air force, culminating in a 30-year reign over the fulcrum of the Arab world - all set against the backdrop of a tumultuous region.

The first of these two-hour documentaries shows Mubarak as the unassuming and loyal lieutenant of Gamal Abdel Nasser and Anwar al-Sadat who found himself thrust into the top job - brought to power by a twist of fate.

The second shows Mubarak as president, developing into a dictator and surrounded by a family with an insatiable appetite for self-interest.

This is a tale of how power corrupts, of how a once-modest man turned into an all-powerful pharaoh who rode roughshod over the wishes of his subjects - and of a dramatic downfall.

The Family includes testimony from those who served with Mubarak as well as members of his family and inner circle and photographs from the family album.

Peter1469
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
watching now.

Peter1469
06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
I got as far as the Sadat assassination, paused the video to go smoke a cigar on my balcony, came back, and now the video is no longer available? What's up?

Peter1469
06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, I thought that what I did get to see was well done and fair. Of course their could be local nuances that I don't pick up on.

Sultan
06-24-2012, 06:31 AM
I got as far as the Sadat assassination, paused the video to go smoke a cigar on my balcony, came back, and now the video is no longer available? What's up?

I'm seeing it now on the same link.

Have you tried again?

Peter1469
06-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Just got back on, it is working now.

Sultan
06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Good

The second part Exodus is on at 20.00 hrs GMT Thursday 28th in 2 days time.

or you can watch on this page after the broadcast

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/2012/06/2012620124818367927.html