PDA

View Full Version : Democracies can't live in perpetual stimulus

Chris
06-20-2012, 03:58 PM
This should be obvious.

Democracies can't live in perpetual stimulus (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/democracies-cant-live-in-perpetual-stimulus/article4299446/)
The British government has run a budget surplus in only six of the 37 years since 1975. The American government has run a budget surplus in only five of the 52 years since 1960. The Canadian government has run a budget surplus in only 10 of the 46 years since 1966. As Hudson Institute scholar Christopher DeMuth asserts in a prescient paper, Debt and Democracy, Keynesian doctrine – surpluses in the good years, deficits in the bad – has morphed in the advanced democracies into perpetual stimulus. As a result, the exponential accumulation of debt means that the next generation, people still unborn, could theoretically be required to pay all of their lifetime incomes in taxes merely to make the interest payments on an enormous debt....

And yet the pols keep promising government will do more.

Trinnity
06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
And they're promising us right into destroying this country. It's just that simple.

Peter1469
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
It is amusing to see libs actually not grasp this simple concept.

wingrider
06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
they haven't run out of others peoples money yet??

Chris
06-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Because they keep digging us deeper and deeper in debt. The final paragraph offers some perspective:
Canada is No. 10 with debt equal to 276 per cent of GDP. Australia is No. 9 with debt equal to 277 per cent of GDP. Germany is No. 8 with debt equal to 278 per cent of GDP. The U.S. is No. 7 with debt equal to 279 per cent of GDP. Though details differ, these four democracies are essentially tied. South Korea is No. 6 with debt equal to 314 per cent of GDP. Italy is No. 5 with debt equal to 314 per cent of GDP. France is No. 4 with debt equal to 346 per cent of GDP. Spain is No. 3 with debt equal to 363 per cent of GDP. Britain is No. 2 with debt equal to 507 per cent of GDP. Japan, only slightly more indebted than Britain, is No. 1 with debt equal to 512 per cent of GDP.

Goldie Locks
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
they haven't run out of others peoples money yet??

Yep we have, we're just borrowing it from China now.

Trinnity
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
And they wonder why we resist raising taxes?
Cuz it lets them spend more.

Cigar
06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
This Thread is so hilarious I had to forward it to my Conservative friends ... and even they thought it was funny.

Keep it up, I love a good laugh, especially at a Conservative expense :)

Chris
06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
This Thread is so hilarious I had to forward it to my Conservative friends ... and even they thought it was funny.

Keep it up, I love a good laugh, especially at a Conservative expense :)

That sounds like trolling, cig.

Do you have no opinion to contribute?

wingrider
06-21-2012, 11:43 PM

Keep it up, I love a good laugh, especially at a Conservative expense :) excuse me.... your conservative friends?? i find that just amazing