PDA

View Full Version : I was selected. OCS bound!!!

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all other vets in here for the words of encouragement and the advice. I told you all that I had another meeting with the Board in March. They called this morning and decided that my med review was not necessary (from MEPS) from that previous injury on Title 10 orders....I was selected.

I will be doing the Guard 12 month OCS program. Aviation (obviously) and infantry are NOT a choice for branching. Infantry is overstrengthed with officers in my state for 2015 fiscal year.

I've been selected...but now what? They sent me my selection packet but do I go to MEPS and take the oath? Lol have no idea what happens next.

Peter1469
02-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Congratulations! Don't let the head games get to you. Play along and be a ghost (don't get noticed).

PolWatch
02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608019828859603920&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks to all other vets in here for the words of encouragement and the advice. I told you all that I had another meeting with the Board in March. They called this morning and decided that my med review was not necessary (from MEPS) from that previous injury on Title 10 orders....I was selected.

I will be doing the Guard 12 month OCS program. Aviation (obviously) and infantry are NOT a choice for branching. Infantry is overstrengthed with officers in my state for 2015 fiscal year.

I've been selected...but now what? They sent me my selection packet but do I go to MEPS and take the oath? Lol have no idea what happens next.

Congrats! What was your major in college?

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Congratulations! Don't let the head games get to you. Play along and be a ghost (don't get noticed).

Truth.

Funny story. My parents (separately) came out for my graduation from Basic. As I was showing them around the barracks the Head Drill comes up to them and says "Your son did it right... I still have to read his name off of his uniform."

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Congrats! What was your major in college?

Thank youuu!!! I got my BS in criminal justice, homeland security studies.

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Thanks! I don't have to go through Basic again, luckily. I'm excited for the opportunity. Nothing I want more than to wear the bar

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if you end up in somewhere like MP, CID, MI or JAG.

maineman
02-13-2015, 11:35 AM
congratulations. military service is a great career!

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks! I don't have to go through Basic again, luckily. I'm excited for the opportunity. Nothing I want more than to wear the bar

The best butter bar I ever had was a 1st Lieutenant. :wink:

Peter1469
Truth.

Funny story. My parents (separately) came out for my graduation from Basic. As I was showing them around the barracks the Head Drill comes up to them and says "Your son did it right... I still have to read his name off of his uniform."

I unfortunately got noticed. Because I was a twin with my brother in the same company. And my brother was and is a complete fool. It made for a much more memorable experience.

Private Pickle

You're prior military? What was your MOS?

Peter1469
02-13-2015, 11:37 AM

OCS is worse than basic....

You are going to have to suspend reality and not be enraged by stupid shit.

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 11:39 AM
I unfortunately got noticed. Because I was a twin with my brother in the same company. And my brother was and is a complete fool. It made for a much more memorable experience.

That is epic!

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 11:39 AM
OCS is worse than basic....

You are going to have to suspend reality and not be enraged by stupid shit.

Yeah I hear OCS is no joke. They run you hard...

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if you end up in somewhere like MP, CID, MI or JAG.

Degrees are irrelevant nowadays. You branch soley on scores from OCS, with somewhat order of merit in the Guard (unlike OCS for RA/reserve who fully use OML).

I thought I was secured an intel slot but they quickly told me otherwise lol

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 11:49 AM
You're prior military? What was your MOS?

Yup! I was an 11bravo for 4 years, 35 mike for 3 years (human intel)

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 11:51 AM
congratulations. military service is a great career!

Thanks! The great thing about the Guard (I'm prior service) is that I can keep my full time job too :-)

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Degrees are irrelevant nowadays. You branch soley on scores from OCS, with somewhat order of merit in the Guard (unlike OCS for RA/reserve who fully use OML).

I thought I was secured an intel slot but they quickly told me otherwise lol

So did they tell you what you got?

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Yup! I was an 11bravo for 4 years, 35 mike for 3 years (human intel)

Nice. I was a 98GPLSC and my wife was a 97EPL.

Not sure if the MOS' are the same anymore. It was 20 years ago.

Peter1469
02-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Nice. I was a 98GPLSC and my wife was a 97EPL.

Not sure if the MOS' are the same anymore. It was 20 years ago.

They reorganized some of the numbers. Not all of them. The combat arms series is the same.

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 01:21 PM
So did they tell you what you got?

No I will find out at OCS. Oh well, I figured that would happen

sachem
02-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Congrats. Best of luck.

Private Pickle
02-13-2015, 01:30 PM
No I will find out at OCS. Oh well, I figured that would happen

Yup. While the Army will put you where they need you they will look at your scores, degrees, experience, etc. when they place you.

maineman
02-13-2015, 01:37 PM
but First Lieutenants aren't butter bars. Second Lieutenants are.

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Yup. While the Army will put you where they need you they will look at your scores, degrees, experience, etc. when they place you.

You listed your MOS earlier but the names have changed. What did you do? I was infantry+intel.

SoonToBe2LT
02-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Congrats. Best of luck.

Thanks! Go pats

CreepyOldDude
02-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Congratulations.

Dr. Who
02-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Congratulations!

nathanbforrest45
02-13-2015, 08:16 PM
All I can say my boy is DILLIGAF?

Bob
02-13-2015, 08:19 PM

You will learn a lot. Just keep in mind once you get your gold bar, those SGTs you must boss, know a lot. If you are cool, they will bring you up to speed. Screw them and some Col. might fly you for a flag. (crap details)

Bob
02-13-2015, 08:25 PM
They reorganized some of the numbers. Not all of them. The combat arms series is the same.

My Inf MOS was 111.10 Just verified from my DD-214

Hal Jordan
02-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Redrose
02-13-2015, 10:26 PM
:danceshout:

Great, I'm happy for you. Much success.

Bob
02-14-2015, 12:39 AM
This is how happy i am.

Peter1469
02-14-2015, 01:56 AM
My Inf MOS was 111.10 Just verified from my DD-214

I guess they changed infantry. It is a number letter code these days.

11B is light infantry
11M is mechanized infantry
11C is mortar stuff
etc.

11B3P is an airborne infantry sergeant- what I was when still enlisted.

Bob
02-14-2015, 02:28 AM
I guess they changed infantry. It is a number letter code these days.

11B is light infantry
11M is mechanized infantry
11C is mortar stuff
etc.

11B3P is an airborne infantry sergeant- what I was when still enlisted.

Is the 3 for Sgt and the P for parachute?

Those numbers beat the numbers we had at the time.

To officially be the company clerk, I should have had a different MOS. I self taught myself. I landed an organization manual that helped me so much that had I not had it, I could never have fixed the unit's gazillion problems.

I had to not only fix all the files, but the SOP boards and duty boards, All were completely wrong.

Peter1469
02-14-2015, 02:33 AM
Yes

Is the 3 for Sgt and the P for parachute?

Those numbers beat the numbers we had at the time.

To officially be the company clerk, I should have had a different MOS. I self taught myself. I landed an organization manual that helped me so much that had I not had it, I could never have fixed the unit's gazillion problems.

I had to not only fix all the files, but the SOP boards and duty boards, All were completely wrong.

Private Pickle
02-14-2015, 01:08 PM
You listed your MOS earlier but the names have changed. What did you do? I was infantry+intel.

I was Intel.

SoonToBe2LT
02-14-2015, 02:07 PM
You will learn a lot. Just keep in mind once you get your gold bar, those SGTs you must boss, know a lot. If you are cool, they will bring you up to speed. Screw them and some Col. might fly you for a flag. (crap details)

Yea I agree, thank you. Hopefully my 7 years enlisted will come in handy. I've been studying my officers and NCOs

Peter1469
02-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Yea I agree, thank you. Hopefully my 7 years enlisted will come in handy. I've been studying my officers and NCOs

Your enlisted time will help you out. Just remember once you are a platoon leader, you are the officer- they are not.

SoonToBe2LT
02-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Your enlisted time will help you out. Just remember once you are a platoon leader, you are the officer- they are not.

Yea that'll be the oddest part of the transition.

Peter1469
02-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Yea that'll be the oddest part of the transition. yes

Bob
02-14-2015, 03:57 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SoonToBe2LT http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=961772#post961772)

A guy from Ukraine that I used to talk to a bit told me he finished College in Kiev and was then forced to join the Soviet Army. He was to be an officer, however the way he told me, he had to first spend 1 year as an enlisted. He said the difference was stunning. I saw him on TV on CSPAN last year giving a speech for the republicans.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?313449-1/tea-party-activists-rally-irs

You can scroll the text down if you want and at 3:02.57

And hit the blue button to hear him.

Bob
02-14-2015, 04:24 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=961270#post961270)

You know the score then. Best to you in your new tasks. If you stay with it, maybe you can collect a good retirement. I consider that retirement one of the best for the retiree but worst for taxpayers. The law is what it is though.

CreepyOldDude
02-16-2015, 01:17 PM
This is how happy i am.

Which one are you? :)

Bob
02-17-2015, 01:52 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=961448#post961448)
This is how happy i am.

Attachment 10468 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10468)

Which one are you? :)

LMAO Glad you think that highly of this 76 year old.

SoonToBe2LT
02-18-2015, 09:55 AM
You know the score then. Best to you in your new tasks. If you stay with it, maybe you can collect a good retirement. I consider that retirement one of the best for the retiree but worst for taxpayers. The law is what it is though.

Yea I agree. Guard retirement isn't as great as the RA component but it's still good. If I were to commission this year, it's likely I could make it up to Major, but not any higher. Guard officers have to fill slots, there isn't any "promotion". If you need to rank up and there's no job available at that time, you are out of the military. I know two Captains who couldn't find slots when their company command ended, so they ended up civilians.