PDA

View Full Version : Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I 'Wasn't 100% Sober' During State of the Union

Captain Obvious
02-13-2015, 02:04 PM
This looks like a satire site but I'm not sure TBH.

http://jezebel.com/ruth-bader-ginsburg-i-wasnt-100-sober-during-state-of-1685634746

Supreme Court Justice and flawless living goddess Ruth Bader Ginsburg admitted that she may have been napping a little during President Obama's State of the Union address, but it wasn't because she was bored. It's because prior to the speech she'd been drinking a "very fine California wine."

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Rc_BnvQf--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/t4w87fqg958hkxv4bwpy.jpg

Safety
02-13-2015, 02:05 PM
You blame her? I would be sauced also.

Chris
02-13-2015, 02:58 PM
I fell asleep during the SOTU and I wasn't even drinking.

PolWatch
02-13-2015, 03:04 PM
That picture does beat out the shots of Biden & Boehner...leaning left & right (appropriately) and their politically slanted ties....

texan
02-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I started drinking two days before i watched it knowing I would need it to make 20 minutes and I was correct.

texan
02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
BTW I went to shots when I heard early on, "I want to work with the congress, but if they don't do what I want I will veto everything."

Just rolled my eyes when the dictator made that clear.

Peter1469
02-13-2015, 03:28 PM
I was asleep.

Chris
02-13-2015, 03:30 PM
BTW I went to shots when I heard early on, "I want to work with the congress, but if they don't do what I want I will veto everything."

Just rolled my eyes when the dictator made that clear.

http://i.snag.gy/tufRg.jpg

Common
02-13-2015, 04:02 PM
No disrepect to the lady but its ridiculous to have supreme court justices over 80 yrs old. Lifetime appt with a age limit

PolWatch
02-13-2015, 04:05 PM
I think the idea was they would not be influenced because no one could threaten their jobs. I think that was the plan when life expectancy was 50 - 60 years old. I think all public officials should be subject to term limits.

Common
02-13-2015, 04:16 PM
I think the idea was they would not be influenced because no one could threaten their jobs. I think that was the plan when life expectancy was 50 - 60 years old. I think all public officials should be subject to term limits.

I think you mean age limits but ill agree to term limits also.

texan
02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
No disrepect to the lady but its ridiculous to have supreme court justices over 80 yrs old. Lifetime appt with a age limit

Agreed I think they should serve 20 years or something like that, I am tired of these lifetime appointments.

Chris
02-13-2015, 04:33 PM
I think you mean age limits but ill agree to term limits also.

Yea, but, if they were all over 80, if Congress and Administration too were all over 80, and drinking, and sleeping, government as we know it would come to a halt, and that would be a good thing!

PolWatch
02-13-2015, 05:06 PM
I think that we should consider both term limits and age limits. It is too easy to become complacent in a job and forget they work for the citizens. They forget they are elected to reflect the citizens' views and not theirs and their party. Congress is not the normal world. We are expecting people who have no concept of reality to pass laws for the rest of us when they have forgotten (if they ever knew) what our lives really are. The longer they exist in the rarified air of Congress, the more removed from reality they become.

Some people function well mentally into their 80's and beyond. They are the exception. Governing well is hard work and those expected to do the job should be capable of it. I fear that when we see a Justice that old, the clerks are actually doing the job of the Judge.

Mac-7
02-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Just don't give elected officials a pension.

PolWatch
02-13-2015, 05:22 PM
They should be given a pension in line with what the rest of us get...based on time on the job. When that runs out....they can go to Wal-Mart as a greeter.

Common
02-13-2015, 06:58 PM
I think that we should consider both term limits and age limits. It is too easy to become complacent in a job and forget they work for the citizens. They forget they are elected to reflect the citizens' views and not theirs and their party. Congress is not the normal world. We are expecting people who have no concept of reality to pass laws for the rest of us when they have forgotten (if they ever knew) what our lives really are. The longer they exist in the rarified air of Congress, the more removed from reality they become.

Some people function well mentally into their 80's and beyond. They are the exception. Governing well is hard work and those expected to do the job should be capable of it. I fear that when we see a Justice that old, the clerks are actually doing the job of the Judge.

The biggest pitfall the longer they are in office the more bought they are by the biggest bidders.

Redrose
02-13-2015, 07:41 PM

That's a difficult one to enforce. Some are brain dead at 60 and some are still sharp at 85+.

Look at Roberts, he had a brain fart with the ACA and he was only in his fifties.

Redrose
02-13-2015, 07:46 PM

We know Ginsberg was sleepy due to wine, what was Biden's excuse?

Blackrook
02-13-2015, 08:15 PM
After Obama's tirade against the Supreme Court, I don't know why any of the justices show up.

PolWatch
02-13-2015, 08:39 PM

We know Ginsberg was sleepy due to wine, what was Biden's excuse?

he's heard it all before....

cutman
02-15-2015, 04:56 PM
I once heard that if you were to give each newly appointed justice (after these current nine vacate their seats through death, retirement, or impeachment), and were to give each of them an 18 year term as justice with no renewal or possibility of extending their stay; eventually each president after a while would be mathematically ensured of appointing at least three justices. Perhaps more if there is an untimely death or vacation of seat. The math seems to bear out replacements on a regular basis but a POTUS would have to serve 8 years to get his or her three appointments