PDA

View Full Version : Regulating political speech

Chris
06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
REGULATING POLITICAL SPEECH (http://www.humanevents.com/2012/06/20/john-stossel-regulating-political-speech/)
...The swing justice, Anthony Kennedy, was right to say: "When Government seeks to use its full power, including the criminal law, to command where a person may get his or her information or what distrusted source he or she may not hear, it uses censorship to control thought. This is unlawful."

...People's stance on free speech often depends on whose ox is gored. In condemning the decision, the offended progressives engaged in amazing mental contortions. It "was wrong because nothing in the First Amendment dictates that corporations must be treated identically to people," said the editorial in The Washington Post. Don't progressives realize that corporations (and unions, which also had their speech rights protected) are associations of individuals -- individuals who have rights?

..Sens. McCain and Sheldon Whitehouse filed a friend-of-the-court brief claiming that allowing corporate speech would bring a "strong potential for corruption and perception thereof."

Right, as though politicians don't routinely constitute a "potential for corruption" all by themselves....

I agree.

coolwalker
06-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Kennedy is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I trust him as far as I trust Obama.