PDA

View Full Version : Why candy bars may never be the same again

Captain Obvious
02-19-2015, 10:16 AM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-candy-bars-may-never-be-the-same-again-2015-02-17?ca

Nestlé USA said it is removing artificial ingredients from its Crunch, Butterfinger, Oh Henry!, Raisinets and other chocolate treats in response to consumer interest in healthier foods. Some experts say the company is more concerned with its financial health than the health of sweet-toothed Americans as demand for lower-calorie and healthier sounding food soars.

The candy manufacturer said on Tuesday that it has removed artificial flavors and colors that are certified by the Food and Drug Administration from more than 250 chocolate products. The new versions will begin appearing on shelves in mid-2015. “We know that candy consumers are interested in broader food trends around fewer artificial ingredients,” Doreen Ida, president of Nestlé USA Confections & Snacks, said in a statement. She said the new recipes have already been tested on consumers: “We never compromise on taste.” Caramel coloring is an “exempt-from-certification color additive,” and will still be used in nine of the more than 250 chocolate products.

Americans appear to want healthier food. There was a 96% increase in the availability of lower-calorie products between 2008 and 2012 compared with just a 4% increase in the availability of higher-calorie food and beverages, according to an analysis of Nielsen data covering 16 major food and beverage companies by the Hudson Institute, a conservative-leaning think tank based in Washington, D.C. These same 16 companies who are members of the “Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation” — a food industry-led initiative that also sponsored the study — cut 6.4 trillion calories from the marketplace from 2007 to 2012, and 99% of the almost $487 million sales growth came from lower-calorie foods.

Adelaide
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
To be honest, I hate most chocolate bars (or candy bars I guess is what Americans call them). The chocolate isn't a good quality and they really do tend to be too sweet in not such a good way. I'm speaking mostly of brands from the US and Canada. The only chocolate I really like and would go out my way to buy at any point is dark chocolate by specific European companies. I also find you eat less with dark chocolate - a couple bites is enough.

Captain Obvious
02-19-2015, 05:41 PM
I don't have much of a sweet tooth but every once in a blue moon I get an itch for candy or something. Not sure what causes that.

PolWatch
02-19-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm an unrepentant choc-a-holic! If they mess with my Crunch bars, I'm gonna get mean.....

Hal Jordan
02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm an unrepentant choc-a-holic! If they mess with my Crunch bars, I'm gonna get mean.....

*hides Crunch wrappers*

I dunno what you're talking about...

Bob
02-19-2015, 05:53 PM
I don't buy candy bars or any candy.

If I want candy, I make my own fudge. I have a killer proven recipe. I picked it up on the internet but the company later took it down.

It is so good. Of course use a very good dark chocolate.

Try this and I flat guarantee you quality fudge.

http://www.skaarupfudge.com/

I prefer you study all directions. Don't skip any of them.

If you have friends you want to please, give them your home made fudge. They will keep you busy making it.

Common
02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
I dont buy candy bars either, the rare urge for chocolate, I buy more specialized stuff. Theres other ways to take in sweets than candy. I LOVE ICE CREAM, but I force myself to eat it sparingly

Redrose
02-19-2015, 07:14 PM
I love chocolate but I eat it rarely so when I do treat myself I eat the good stuff, Godiva is a favorite and dark chocolate truffles. European chocolates are the best, our chocolate candy here always tasted waxy to me.

PolWatch
02-19-2015, 07:15 PM
that's one of the advantages of being a redneck...cheap tastes! :wink:

Bob
02-19-2015, 07:18 PM
I love chocolate but I eat it rarely so when I do treat myself I eat the good stuff, Godiva is a favorite and dark chocolate truffles. European chocolates are the best, our chocolate candy here always tasted waxy to me.

Give this a try

Redrose
02-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Give this a try

Thanks Bob but fugde is not a favorite of mine. I love dark chocolate with raspberry fillings, truffles and marzipan.

Relatives send us chocolates from Denmark and Belgium that are fantastic.

Captain Obvious
02-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Thanks Bob but fugde is not a favorite of mine. I love dark chocolate with raspberry fillings, truffles and marzipan.

Marzipan, that's like ear wax.

Blech...

Redrose
02-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Marzipan, that's like ear wax.

Blech...

Didn't you see the "Harry Potter" movies? Earwax is one of the jelly bean flavors. Yum yum!

Bob
02-19-2015, 08:28 PM

There is fudge and then there is the Skaruup recipe.

Aside from that, use the chocolate you prefer.

But I have not tried the candy you mention. I might change my mind.

You are the first person i encountered that does not like Fudge. Congratulations #1

Bob
02-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Didn't you see the "Harry Potter" movies? Earwax is one of the jelly bean flavors. Yum yum!

The Jelly Bean factory is not too many miles away from me. Never drove there to do the visit yet.

Dr. Who
02-19-2015, 08:29 PM
To be honest, I hate most chocolate bars (or candy bars I guess is what Americans call them). The chocolate isn't a good quality and they really do tend to be too sweet in not such a good way. I'm speaking mostly of brands from the US and Canada. The only chocolate I really like and would go out my way to buy at any point is dark chocolate by specific European companies. I also find you eat less with dark chocolate - a couple bites is enough.
I totally agree. I hate milk chocolate. It leaves your mouth "slimy". That being said, I have a bit of a thing for peanut butter based sweets. I hardly ever eat them, but every couple of years or so I will indulge myself. They are usually covered with milk chocolate, but I ignore it for the filling. Peanut butter cookies are my favorite.

Bob
02-19-2015, 08:30 PM
I totally agree. I hate milk chocolate. It leaves your mouth "slimy". That being said, I have a bit of a thing for peanut butter based sweets. I hardly ever eat them, but every couple of years or so I will indulge myself. They are usually covered with milk chocolate, but I ignore it for the filling. Peanut butter cookies are my favorite.I prefer a very good Fudge over milk chocolate. Did you ever read how they make that stuff?Once my doctor told me about my type 2 diabetes, I do my best to avoid sugar so I don't get to make fudge at the moment. Darn.

Redrose
02-19-2015, 08:49 PM
There is fudge and then there is the Skaruup recipe.

Aside from that, use the chocolate you prefer.

But I have not tried the candy you mention. I might change my mind.

You are the first person i encountered that does not like Fudge. Congratulations #1

I'm kind of weird that way. I don't like ice cream either. My weakness is fancy pastry.

My grandkids loved these Harry Potter jelly beans.

Dr. Who
02-19-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm kind of weird that way. I don't like ice cream either. My weakness is fancy pastry.

My favorites are the anise and the cinnamon (black and red).

Redrose
02-19-2015, 08:56 PM
My favorites are the anise and the cinnamon (black and red).

Mine too. I love black licorice.

Bob
02-19-2015, 08:57 PM

Yup, yup yup. Those are made not all that far from me. Ronald Reagan loved those from that company.

Jelly Belly candy is just over an hours drive.

Redrose
02-19-2015, 09:00 PM
I used to make sugar cookies for the kids with jelly beans in them. Luckily they had few cavities.

Common
02-19-2015, 09:36 PM
I like dark chocolate 70% plus, I agree with adelaide milk chocolate isnt nearly as good

Common
02-19-2015, 09:37 PM

Umm german marzipan cake

Redrose
02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Umm german marzipan cake

Dark chocolate is the best, the higher the number the better. My late MIL made a great German Marzipan cake. Her grandparents were from Germany. It was a flat cake with crumbles on top and a wonderful cake filing. I never did get the recipe, wish I had.

Dr. Who
02-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Dark chocolate is the best, the higher the number the better. My late MIL made a great German Marzipan cake. Her grandparents were from Germany. It was a flat cake with crumbles on top and a wonderful cake filing. I never did get the recipe, wish I had.
I can't say that I love baking, because I don't, but I will occasionally make brownies from a standard dark brownie recipe and double the powdered dark chocolate and decrease the flour proportionately. Yum.

Common
02-19-2015, 11:02 PM

If you have an aldis near you, they have a line of German and Belgian dark chocolate thats really good.
They have a german brand with hazelnuts that I have to walk past most of the time because I could eat it constantly.

They also have another german brand of 85% dark chocolate thats excellent also

Redrose
02-19-2015, 11:29 PM
I can't say that I love baking, because I don't, but I will occasionally make brownies from a standard dark brownie recipe and double the powdered dark chocolate and decrease the flour proportionately. Yum.

Sounds wonderful. Chocolate and a glass of wine is perfection.

I make a cherry death by chocolate. I would bring it to work for special occassions.

Quickly, in a large glass bowl, fill with a layer of devil's food cake broken up, pour creme de caoco then a layer of chocolate mousse, then sprinkle mini choc chips, then a layer of canned pie cherries, then whipped cream, and repeat as much as the bowl will hold. Finish with whipped cream on top and shaved dark chocolate. Chill. It's decadent.

PolWatch
02-19-2015, 11:32 PM
I'll just have a Hersey bar...or maybe some M&M's....although I did buy a birthday cake last weekend that was wonderful. It was a dark chocolate cake with chocolate icing...even the flowers were chocolate.

PolWatch
02-19-2015, 11:34 PM

I make a cherry death by chocolate. I would bring it to work for special occassions.

Quickly, in a large glass bowl, fill with a layer of devil's food cake broken up, pour creme de caoco then a layer of chocolate mousse, then sprinkle mini choc chips, then a layer of canned pie cherries, then whipped cream, and repeat as much as the bowl will hold. Finish with whipped cream on top and shaved dark chocolate. Chill. It's decadent.

I think I just gained 5 lbs reading the recipe! I couldn't have that around...I would not share it!

Redrose
02-19-2015, 11:39 PM
I think I just gained 5 lbs reading the recipe! I couldn't have that around...I would not share it!

I've made that dessert dozens of times over the years. It never disappoints. You spoon it out on to the plates, it looks messy, but the colors, brown, white and red look tempting. Suprisingly it's not sickly sweet. The tart pie cherries off set the sweetness. It is very fattening.

Between that dessert and my rum balls, they hated to see me retire. They tolerated this Yankee for my desserts. lol

There is a blond version, with angel cake or yellow cake, vanilla mouse, and the cherries, cream and white choc curls. I don't know what liqueur you would use.

Dr. Who
02-19-2015, 11:39 PM

Sounds totally decadent. I'd have to ration that to once every five years. Thinking about it though, I'd probably substitute the canned pie cherries with canned European or fresh, slightly stewed black cherries because I love black cherries with dark chocolate.

PolWatch
02-19-2015, 11:44 PM
I know that rum ball recipe you gave me was great! I have people asking for those again.

I'm not going to fix that chocolate-bowl-of-sin or I will end up making it too often. I agree with Dr. Who....that's a once every 5 year goody!

Redrose
02-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Sounds totally decadent. I'd have to ration that to once every five years. Thinking about it though, I'd probably substitute the canned pie cherries with canned European or fresh, slightly stewed black cherries because I love black cherries with dark chocolate.

That's what is so nice about that recipe, you can make it your own. I was given it without the cherries, I added them and the creme de cocoa. My friend does a layer of bananas or peaches instead of cherries and changes the liqueur accordingly.

Redrose
02-19-2015, 11:46 PM
I know that rum ball recipe you gave me was great! I have people asking for those again.

I'm not going to fix that chocolate-bowl-of-sin or I will end up making it too often. I agree with Dr. Who....that's a once every 5 year goody!

My girls would ask for it on their birthdays.