PDA

View Full Version : Jim Webb

Peter1469
02-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't think he is establishment. If he runs he has a chance to win and really change our nation and bring it back to its roots.

Common
02-22-2015, 08:37 PM
I dont know much about him, I need to go look him up

Peter1469
02-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Solid man. Not really a politician.

PolWatch
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
His CV is impressive...I don't think I've ever heard of a Secretary of the Navy resigning under those conditions. He really nailed it in 2003:

'questioned whether an overthrow of Saddam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein) would “actually increase our ability to win the war against international terrorism” and pointed out that the measure of military success can be preventing wars and well as fighting them. He charged, “those who are pushing for a unilateral war in Iraq know full well that there is no exit strategy if we invade.” He concluded, “the Iraqis are a multiethnic people filled with competing factions who in many cases would view a U.S. occupation as infidels invading the cradle of Islam. … In Japan, American occupation forces quickly became 50,000 friends. In Iraq, they would quickly become 50,000 terrorist targets' wiki

I'm going to do some more digging but this one sounds better than most I've seen.

PolWatch
02-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Common - I've got a lot of reading of articles to do but this guy does look interesting....he would have to run as an Independent

http://www.jameswebb.com/

Common
02-22-2015, 09:14 PM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) - I've got a lot of reading of articles to do but this guy does look interesting....he would have to run as an Independent

Independent is best and thank you Pol. I will check out that site after I win this WOW battle royal.. its a game lol

maineman
02-22-2015, 10:53 PM
We share an alma mater. I have always been a fan, ever since "Fields of Fire"... "A Sense of Honor" made me a forever fan. I will vote for him, and I will financially support him to the max.

maineman
02-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Trivia contest: who beat Jim Webb for the USNA Brigade Boxing championship?

Bob
02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
I don't think he is establishment. If he runs he has a chance to win and really change our nation and bring it back to its roots.

You mean he will further Democrats aims. Like Obama did.

I prefer a well trained person to manage government. Very different from Obama.

Webb is just one more Democrat.

Peter1469
02-22-2015, 11:14 PM
I don't know, who?

Bob
02-22-2015, 11:21 PM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) - I've got a lot of reading of articles to do but this guy does look interesting....he would have to run as an Independent

He forgot to mention his long standing as a Republican. Wonder why?

He flipped to Democrats over Iraq.

I don't expect him to run. Well, not for too long.

Bob
02-22-2015, 11:22 PM
I don't know, who?

Such as Scott Walker. After listening to Jeb Bush, he is looking better. But all in all, so far for me it is still Walker.

zelmo1234
02-22-2015, 11:27 PM

Why? He is a Democrat and Hilary has already lost one primary

Calypso Jones
02-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Good Grief how fast you guys forget. He's a freakin' nutball.

zelmo1234
02-22-2015, 11:29 PM

Yet you will gladly vote for Jeb and Jeb is left of Web? on nearly every issue? That is what is wrong with DC

Bob
02-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Yet you will gladly vote for Jeb and Jeb is left of Web? on nearly every issue? That is what is wrong with DC

I said i prefer Scott Walker. Don't think Jeb is left since Webb went rogue when Bush was president. Webb cruised hard left.

maineman
02-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Webb's a democrat....on the right hand side of the tent. I intend to contribute to his campaign.

Mr. P
02-23-2015, 09:12 AM

Oh, how I hope he runs as an independent.

birddog
02-23-2015, 09:32 AM
If it had to be a democrat elected, Webb would be the best of the lot. He may be a stronger possibility than most think, especially if The Hildebeast has another stroke.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 11:04 AM

I'd vote for him over all others I've seen so far, but I strongly doubt the DNC will nominate him.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 11:06 AM
I said i prefer Scott Walker. Don't think Jeb is left since Webb went rogue when Bush was president. Webb cruised hard left.

Disagree that Webb is hard left. Compared to the RNC these days, he is a "Lefty", but compared to Barry Goldwater, he's a moderate righty.

PolWatch
02-23-2015, 11:14 AM
It looks like Hillary will be the dem candidate (if she runs). Webb would be a good independent candidate....since I'm pretty disgusted with both major parties, I wouldn't feel so hesitant to vote for him....but I still don't know enough about him yet. I like his articles on veteran issues and his ME observations. I'm looking for some info on his economic ideas....

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 11:56 AM
It looks like Hillary will be the dem candidate (if she runs). Webb would be a good independent candidate....since I'm pretty disgusted with both major parties, I wouldn't feel so hesitant to vote for him....but I still don't know enough about him yet. I like his articles on veteran issues and his ME observations. I'm looking for some info on his economic ideas....

If the DNC nominates Hillary, and I doubt they will, they are setting themselves up for a loss. All the RNC needs to do, and I think they will, is put out a halfway decent candidate to win against her.

texan
02-23-2015, 11:59 AM
I hope he beats Billary.

silvereyes
02-23-2015, 01:00 PM
If it had to be a democrat elected, Webb would be the best of the lot. He may be a stronger possibility than most think, especially if The Hildebeast has another stroke.
Why dont you stick to trinns forum? Im sure they chuckle at your nasty little nicknames for hillary. Sure of it.

Bob
02-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Disagree that Webb is hard left. Compared to the RNC these days, he is a "Lefty", but compared to Barry Goldwater, he's a moderate righty.

Why did he become a Democrat then when he could have remained a lifelong republican? When a politican is called left or right, let's point out how Webb is more right than left then. Barry Goldwater, a true Conservative really, though hated by the Democrats, really was ahead of the curve in things like race relations. He and not Truman removed restrictions on the military he controlled. A lot of historians took a new look at him and turns out that today he might be called fairly liberal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--375PlwiCw

Bob
02-23-2015, 01:45 PM

If you like Webb who has zero actual experience managing government, Democrats won't back him since they now love Hillary after rejecting her in 2008. I attribute that to Bill Clinton musk rubbing off on his wife. Not that she is good. They think they can return Bill to the White house.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Why did he become a Democrat then when he could have remained a lifelong republican? ...
I don't know. My guess is because he thought he stood a better chance of becoming Senator by running against the incumbent Senator, George Allen-R, as a Democrat than waiting around for one of them to retire.

When a politican is called left or right, let's point out how Webb is more right than left then. Barry Goldwater, a true Conservative really, though hated by the Democrats, really was ahead of the curve in things like race relations. He and not Truman removed restrictions on the military he controlled. A lot of historians took a new look at him and turns out that today he might be called fairly liberalAgreed by today's standard, Barry "Mr. Conservative" Goldwater (and President Reagan for that matter) would be considered liberals. That's sad, isn't it? It also explains why the RNC is weaker than the DNC.

Still, I think the 2016 election is the RNC's to lose. Let's hope they don't fuck it up. I don't think the US can afford another 8 years of Democrats in the White House.

PolWatch
02-23-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't know. My guess is because he thought he stood a better chance of becoming Senator by running against the incumbent Senator, George Allen-R, as a Democrat than waiting around for one of them to retire.

1) I don't think there is a lot of difference in the major parties...
2) we have seen so many politicians change parties in the south as easily as they change ties, its SOP

Bob
02-23-2015, 02:13 PM
2) we have seen so many politicians change parties in the south as easily as they change ties, its SOP

There is a lot of truth in that but let's figure out why.

I put the blame on the public. The Democrats sell a bill of goods that money for their projects is found in the hands of the rich. In other words, don't you worry mr /ms middle class or poor, it won't cost you a dime. Vote for Democrats since they steal the rich mans money and won't hurt you a bit.

Republicans would get zero votes except some of us are too honest to by stealing from the rich as a way to govern. We notice the vast national debt. We see how Obama ran it up over 8 trillion dollars in a short 6 years. He brags he spends at a rate to force him to keep borrowing.

In other words, the public gets what it wants. It wants free health care. It is forced by Obama into the arms of an industry known as the insurance companies. Trouble is, there are deductibles. A patient has to not only pay for insurance, but pay a large amount of his own cash just to see a doctor. A better solution exists.

silvereyes
02-23-2015, 02:15 PM
There is a lot of truth in that but let's figure out why.

I put the blame on the public. The Democrats sell a bill of goods that money for their projects is found in the hands of the rich. In other words, don't you worry mr /ms middle class or poor, it won't cost you a dime. Vote for Democrats since they steal the rich mans money and won't hurt you a bit.

Republicans would get zero votes except some of us are too honest to by stealing from the rich as a way to govern. We notice the vast national debt. We see how Obama ran it up over 8 trillion dollars in a short 6 years. He brags he spends at a rate to force him to keep borrowing.

In other words, the public gets what it wants. It wants free health care. It is forced by Obama into the arms of an industry known as the insurance companies. Trouble is, there are deductibles. A patient has to not only pay for insurance, but pay a large amount of his own cash just to see a doctor. A better solution exists.

Got one?

birddog
02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Got one?

If the Republicans had been allowed to tweak the system when The Kenyan came into power, we would be much better off. Such things as tort reform, insuring across state lines, increasing age of insured kids, and insuring high risks for example. Obamacare is the worst program instituted in our history!

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 02:22 PM

I disagree. Sure, they all cater to special interests, but those special interests a separated by a wide divide.

Most politicians don't change parties, but when they do, it's usually for self-serving reasons. In Webb's case, so he could become Senator. Arlen Specter was initially a Democrat, but switched to Republican when his own party wouldn't back his run for DA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlen_Specter#Seeks_political_office

Bob
02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Got one?

This is in reference to a better health care proposal.

I have written a lot on this. But you may not know my views.

First, we need to understand the reason why healthcare is very expensive.

I blame the fact it became part of the income for a huge number of workers. Due to price fixing by FDR, it was a way to get raises and still not violate price fixing laws.

Second, the Government started paying bills for the ill.

While both events were to help the public, the unintended consequences, simply drove up costs.

When any company, doctor or insurance, discovers the Feds will pay for anything, costs go up. We see it not just in health care, but defense spending and other government spending. When Government pays, costs always rise thus far.

We must unwind that clock.

We must put competition back into health care. Doctors and hospitals have incentive to raise costs rather than to lower costs.

We must remove that incentive.

I can elaborate but this ought to kick start the conversation.

silvereyes
02-23-2015, 02:36 PM
So, it truly does go way way back? Any ideas on how to provide care for everyone even if they cant afford it?

birddog
02-23-2015, 02:41 PM
So, it truly does go way way back? Any ideas on how to provide care for everyone even if they cant afford it?

In addition to Post 32, E.R! Problem solved with far less cost.

PolWatch
02-23-2015, 02:43 PM
I disagree. Sure, they all cater to special interests, but those special interests a separated by a wide divide.

Most politicians don't change parties, but when they do, it's usually for self-serving reasons. In Webb's case, so he could become Senator. Arlen Specter was initially a Democrat, but switched to Republican when his own party wouldn't back his run for DA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlen_Specter#Seeks_political_office

True. In the south we saw a lot who ran as dems and once elected, changed parties. They ran in areas that would not have elected a repub and then cited 'ideology' as the reason for their change.

Mr. Right
02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Why dont you stick to trinns forum? Im sure they chuckle at your nasty little nicknames for hillary. Sure of it.

Wow, silvereyes, I didn't hear you squawking when exo called Mitt Romney, "Willard"... Don't you think if Romney had liked that name it would have been "Willard Romney" on the ballot instead of Mitt?

Bob
02-23-2015, 02:53 PM

We need to modify the "system" to get doctors and hospitals to slash prices. County hospitals for instance do health care cheaper. But in general, they are less trusted than the "good" hospitals. Stanford University has a top hospital so prices are higher there than at the county hospital.

This might mean we go to county hospitals and set up prices the public can afford.

Mr. Right
02-23-2015, 03:04 PM
If we're going to drift into a health care discussion, we must wash our hands of the malarky that stains them. Health care was never a "right".
If healthcare is a right, everything is a right. No, we don't let aging grannys die and we don't put people into jail that can't pay their medical bills. If healthcare was a right, I'd be getting the same healthcare that Senator Rubio and Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz get... FREE.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
The current solution is to make all those working pay for those who are not working or make less than a livable wage.

A better solution, IMO, is to figure out why medical costs are so high. One reason is fucking lawyers. Doctor pay varies by specialty, but a family physician makes about $183K/year (http://www1.salary.com/family-physician-salary.html) but their malpractice insurance premiums are about $12K/year (http://medicaleconomics.modernmedicine.com/medical-economics/news/modernmedicine/modern-medicine-feature-articles/malpractice-premiums-continue?page=full). Those costs go up with different specialties. It doesn't a lot of guesswork to figure out who pays for those costs in the long run.

Bob
02-23-2015, 03:42 PM
The current solution is to make all those working pay for those who are not working or make less than a livable wage.

A better solution, IMO, is to figure out why medical costs are so high. One reason is fucking lawyers. Doctor pay varies by specialty, but a family physician makes about $183K/year (http://www1.salary.com/family-physician-salary.html) but their malpractice insurance premiums are about $12K/year (http://medicaleconomics.modernmedicine.com/medical-economics/news/modernmedicine/modern-medicine-feature-articles/malpractice-premiums-continue?page=full). Those costs go up with different specialties. It doesn't a lot of guesswork to figure out who pays for those costs in the long run.

We should do it the right way. If the premium cost is $1,000 per month and the deductible is $5,000, your true cost is $17,000 and then insurance starts paying. This is the nature of the ACA. There is a tiny faction that gains on the ACA. Those unable to support themselves. They are in general exempt from paying for insurance.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 04:04 PM
We should do it the right way. If the premium cost is $1,000 per month and the deductible is $5,000, your true cost is $17,000 and then insurance starts paying. This is the nature of the ACA. There is a tiny faction that gains on the ACA. Those unable to support themselves. They are in general exempt from paying for insurance.
Something needs to change because the status quo isn't sustainable.

del
02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
In addition to Post 32, E.R! Problem solved with far less cost.

the average cost for an er visit is a little over $1200

how is that cheaper?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/02/an-average-er-visit-costs-more-than-an-average-months-rent/

Peter1469
02-23-2015, 04:20 PM

We can use the system devolved by Remote Area Medical (http://www.ramusa.org/)to deliver health care to the needy at a low cost.

Peter1469
02-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Lawyers are not the problem in health care. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/leahbinder/2013/09/23/stunning-news-on-preventable-deaths-in-hospitals/) Hundreds of thousands of people die from preventable causes in the care of doctors per year. Do you want to give up your right to a civil lawsuit to recover damages? And if so, do you think the number of preventable deaths would decrease if doctors had legal immunity?

With these latest revelations, medical errors now claim the spot as the third leading cause of death (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm) in the United States, dwarfing auto accidents, diabetes and everything else besides Cancer and heart disease. Harvard’s Dr. Lucian Leape, the father of the patient safety movement and one of the experts behind the original IOM report, says (http://www.propublica.org/article/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals) the numbers in this new study should supplant the IOM estimates from 1999. That means hospitals are killing off the equivalent of the entire population of Atlanta one year, Miami the next, then moving to Oakland, and on and on.

These people are not dying from the illnesses that caused them to seek hospital care in the first place. They are dying from mishaps that hospitals could have prevented. What do these errors look like? The sponge left inside the surgical patient, prompting weeks of mysterious, agonizing abdominal pain before the infection overcomes bodily functions. The medication injected into a baby’s IV at a dose calculated for a 200 pound man. The excruciating infection from contaminated equipment used at the bedside. Sadly, over a thousand people a day are dying from these kinds of mistakes.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Lawyers are not the problem in health care. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/leahbinder/2013/09/23/stunning-news-on-preventable-deaths-in-hospitals/) Hundreds of thousands of people die from preventable causes in the care of doctors per year. Do you want to give up your right to a civil lawsuit to recover damages? And if so, do you think the number of preventable deaths would decrease if doctors had legal immunity?

I said it was one reason. Agreed neglect of preventable medicine has been another cause. The last few years have seen a reversal of that trend.

Straw man argument about giving up a right to sue for a wrong.

Question: If a person sues a hospital because a sponge was left inside of them, what percentage of the lawsuit payoff would the lawyer(s) receive? 10%? 20%? 50%?

PolWatch
02-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Once upon a time, long, long ago, it was almost impossible to sue a doctor. The AMA had convinced everyone that they were the only ones able to police their members. After a few scandals of impaired and incompetent doctors received a lot of publicity, it was decided that expecting an organization that existed to protect doctors was not the logical choice to police them. Like auto insurance, medical malpractice insurance is risk based....and some of that risk is how many times a doctor has been sued for malpractice and lost. If your doctor is paying excessively high premiums, I would look for another physician.

Peter1469
02-23-2015, 04:44 PM
I said it was one reason. Agreed neglect of preventable medicine has been another cause. The last few years have seen a reversal of that trend.

Straw man argument about giving up a right to sue for a wrong.

Question: If a person sues a hospital because a sponge was left inside of them, what percentage of the lawsuit payoff would the lawyer(s) receive? 10%? 20%? 50%?

I don' think it is a straw man- many people who advocate for tort reform want something like immunity. There is an existing solution, although it may not be used in every state. Under the federal rules of evidence, there is a process where one party can offer the other party a settlement agreement. This agreement is filed with the court under seal. If the case does not settle and goes to trial, and if the judgement is near or lower than the settlement offer, lawyer fees are cut off as of the date onf the settlement offer- this forces attorneys to be honest to their clients with the merits of their case. People just don't use it for some reason.

As far as your question goes, it depends on the agreement between you and your lawyer. If the case is taken on contingency, the lawyer will get a higher percentage. I think 33% is typical- but it can be higher. But if you pay upfront (or a combo of now and later) the lawyer gets no percentage or less than a full contingency basis.

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
I don' think it is a straw man- many people who advocate for tort reform want something like immunity. There is an existing solution, although it may not be used in every state. Under the federal rules of evidence, there is a process where one party can offer the other party a settlement agreement. This agreement is filed with the court under seal. If the case does not settle and goes to trial, and if the judgement is near or lower than the settlement offer, lawyer fees are cut off as of the date onf the settlement offer- this forces attorneys to be honest to their clients with the merits of their case. People just don't use it for some reason.

As far as your question goes, it depends on the agreement between you and your lawyer. If the case is taken on contingency, the lawyer will get a higher percentage. I think 33% is typical- but it can be higher. But if you pay upfront (or a combo of now and later) the lawyer gets no percentage or less than a full contingency basis.Thanks, that's my understanding.

One problem with that concept is that it isn't a matter of justice, but a matter of racking up as big of a settlement as possible in order to line their own pockets. You and I both know that, regardless of how big the settlement may be, in the end, the costs will be passed to those paying for medical assistance. That's one lawyer problem.

Obviously people should be able to seek justice through out legal system. Obviously they need lawyers to assist with that pursuit. My concern is that the costs of someone seeking justice are jacked up just to line a lawyer's pockets and the costs are passed through increased medical costs to consumers.

Again, this isn't the only reason medical costs are high. No complex problem has simple answers.

The Sage of Main Street
02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Wow, @silvereyes (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1218), I didn't hear you squawking when exo called Mitt Romney, "Willard"... Don't you think if Romney had liked that name it would have been "Willard Romney" on the ballot instead of Mitt? exotix hangs out with a very disrespectful crowd. But in the polite society you and I come from:

There hasn't been anything
Ill heard
About the world's most perfect
Willard

silvereyes
02-23-2015, 05:41 PM
exotix hangs out with a very disrespectful crowd. But in the polite society you and I come from:

There hasn't been anything
Ill heard
About the world's most perfect
Willard
FYI: i dont hang out with exo.

Mr. Right/wrong: equating hilldebeast with willard? Dumb. Very dumb.

Now run along and find some more vicious names to call hillary.

Mac-7
02-23-2015, 06:05 PM

I like to call Hillary the Cookie Lady after her famous rant from the 90's.

Does that handle send libs like you into a swoon?

silvereyes
02-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Nothing you sends no one into a swoon. Nothing and no one.

maineman
02-23-2015, 06:24 PM

do you really think that we really care what you call our candidates? EVERYBODY has names for the opposition candidates... it's more for each other to laugh about than it is to get under the opposition's skin. Mittens with the magic underwear... Caribou Barbie... it's all good. You can call Hillary any fucking thing you want to... what will be awesome is when you have to call her Madame President. Suck on that.

Mr. Right
02-23-2015, 06:33 PM

Dumb:smiley:
I spend about as much time thinking of names to call Hillary as I do contemplating flying monkeys.

silvereyes
02-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Dumb:smiley:
I spend about as much time thinking of names to call Hillary as I do contemplating flying monkeys.
Then why are you crying about willard?

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 07:39 PM

She'll always be "Sniper" to me.

Bob
02-23-2015, 07:41 PM
She'll always be "Sniper" to me.

Remember when Hillary claimed she was in combat?

http://freebeacon.com/politics/flashback-when-brian-williams-covered-hillary-clintons-false-sniper-fire-claims/

Max Rockatansky
02-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Remember when Hillary claimed she was in combat?

http://freebeacon.com/politics/flashback-when-brian-williams-covered-hillary-clintons-false-sniper-fire-claims/
I've even seen the pictorial proof!

Here she and Chelsea are running for their lives:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/03/24/us/politics/199603125clinton-bosnia.jpg

Mac-7
02-23-2015, 10:20 PM
do you really think that we really care what you call our candidates? .

Some lefties care since they are crying wet tears about calling her hildebeast.

maineman
02-24-2015, 01:17 AM

how does one determine whether tears are wet or not on the interwebz?

silvereyes
02-24-2015, 01:49 AM

Not crying. Laughing at you hypocrites.

Safety
02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Wow, silvereyes, I didn't hear you squawking when exo called Mitt Romney, "Willard"... Don't you think if Romney had liked that name it would have been "Willard Romney" on the ballot instead of Mitt?

There's a difference in using someone's given name (ie "I recall a lot of people using Barack's middle name "Hussein") and using a nickname. In fact, I think alot of people were calling Mitt "Willard" strictly because so many on the right were using "Hussein" for Obama.

PolWatch
02-24-2015, 08:10 AM
something like Caribou Barbie is so insulting....but Hillarybeast, etc is perfectly acceptable....:rollseyes:

Max Rockatansky
02-24-2015, 08:56 AM
something like Caribou Barbie is so insulting....but Hillarybeast, etc is perfectly acceptable....:rollseyes:
Poo slinging is a bipartisan sport.

PolWatch
02-24-2015, 09:00 AM
While everyone discusses the latest poo-fest....no one pays attention to what the elected ones are actually doing.....I think its like a good stage magician .... distract with one hand while the other hand pulls the rabbit out of the hat.

Max Rockatansky
02-24-2015, 09:13 AM
While everyone discusses the latest poo-fest....no one pays attention to what the elected ones are actually doing.....I think its like a good stage magician .... distract with one hand while the other hand pulls the rabbit out of the hat.
The partisans don't pay attention, but I think the moderates and Independents are most aware of the problem which is why participation in political parties has dropped greatly and the ranks of the Independents has grown.

PolWatch
02-24-2015, 09:16 AM
The partisans don't pay attention, but I think the moderates and Independents are most aware of the problem which is why participation in political parties has dropped greatly and the ranks of the Independents has grown.

I hope you are right...More people realizing they are being had might result in people turning their backs on politics as usual and demanding change....instead of just hoping for change.

Max Rockatansky
02-24-2015, 09:32 AM
I hope you are right...More people realizing they are being had might result in people turning their backs on politics as usual and demanding change....instead of just hoping for change.
Demanding instead of hoping is an excellent point.

Consider both the Tea Party and Occupy Movement. Why did the Tea Party succeed where the Occupy Movement failed? Not because of a "righteous cause", but because of organization. While the Tea Partiers tout they are a grass-roots movement, the fact remains that at the national level, they are anything but grass-roots. They are dominated by those who supply the money and political clout such as the Koch brothers, Dick Armey and Virginia Thomas. The Occupy Movement failed because they refused to organize on the national level so there was no voice for them on Capital Hill.

It's a sad reality, but a true one.

PolWatch
02-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I really think that more Americans agree than disagree on fiscal issues. We have been divided by parties that don't want us to realize that. I know of no one who doesn't admit that government is out of control and needs to be reined in. I am hopeful that more people will realize that.

Social issues...there are some real differences but nothing that can't be dealt with if people quit screaming and start talking.

Max Rockatansky
02-24-2015, 09:56 AM
I really think that more Americans agree than disagree on fiscal issues. We have been divided by parties that don't want us to realize that. I know of no one who doesn't admit that government is out of control and needs to be reined in. I am hopeful that more people will realize that.

Social issues...there are some real differences but nothing that can't be dealt with if people quit screaming and start talking.
Agreed on both points, but I think most are simply concerned about their own lives. A Texas rancher is more concerned about the drought, the cost of feed and the price of beef than about who is sleeping with whom in San Francisco.

Those who bring up the issues of abortion, gay marriage aren't Goldwater conservatives. They are religious conservatives. The entire tone, and one reason why I left the GOP, of the RNC has become more and more religiously socially oriented since the 1980s when the Christian Coalition began taking over the Republican Party.*

Most people, and I'm not talking about "most people on this forum" but IRL, are more concerned about their own lives to the lives of others.

*Cue Senator Goldwater (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwater30.htm)'s speech to Congress.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3Prk18CEAAS6ch.jpg

The Sage of Main Street
02-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Now run along and find some more vicious names to call hillary. All right, I apologize for calling exotix disrespectful. Backtracking, what I meant to say was:

When listening to Hillary,
Here is what
Bill heard:

In politics Mitt is not a
Wizard, he is a
Willard.

The Sage of Main Street
02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
I like to call Hillary the Cookie Lady I like to call Wasillary the Klondike Kook.

The Sage of Main Street
02-24-2015, 12:19 PM
You can call Hillary any $#@!ing thing you want to... what will be awesome is when you have to call her Madame President. Suck on that. Call her anything you want to, but don't call her at 3 AM. Call Obama instead.

The Sage of Main Street
02-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Some lefties care since they are crying wet tears about calling her hildebeast. A Hilldebeast doesn't scare me, but a Hilldebeast in a pantsuit makes me want to run for my life!

The Sage of Main Street
02-24-2015, 12:26 PM
While everyone discusses the latest poo-fest....no one pays attention to what the elected ones are actually doing.....I think its like a good stage magician .... distract with one hand while the other hand pulls the rabbit out of the hat. A vewy wascally wabbit.

silvereyes
02-24-2015, 12:34 PM
A vewy wascally wabbit.
Ok, that made me giggle.

Wehrwolfen
02-24-2015, 08:20 PM

I like the cut of his jib.

Bob
02-24-2015, 09:03 PM

Watch C-Span daily. You will soon learn the Democrats dirty tricks.

The Sage of Main Street
02-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Ok, that made me giggle. How about the cartoon about an opera where Fudd, playing the hero, says to the leading lady, "Oh, Bwunehilde, you are so wovewy"?

The Sage of Main Street
02-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Ok, that made me giggle. How about the cartoon about an opera where Fudd, playing the hero, says to the leading lady, "Oh, Bwunehilde, you are so wovewy (lovely)"?

Peter1469
03-01-2015, 06:51 AM
I knew Webb was a Marine infantry officer in Vietnam. I did not know that he was awarded the Navy's second highest award for valor: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Webb#Military_service)

Webb received the Navy Cross for actions on July 10, 1969. The citation read:

The Navy Cross is presented to James H. Webb, Jr., First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company D, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Vietnam). On July 10, 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_and_destroy) operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb's platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex that appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911) at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers. Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade that detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18A1_Claymore_Antipersonnel_Mine) in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel. Despite the smoke and debris from the explosion and the possibility of enemy soldiers hiding in the tunnel, he then conducted a thorough search that yielded several items of equipment and numerous documents containing valuable intelligence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_intelligence) data. Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body. Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker. By his courage, aggressive leadership, and selfless devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Webb upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.[17] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Webb#cite_note-HomeofHeroes-17)

Max Rockatansky
03-01-2015, 08:31 AM
I knew Webb was a Marine infantry officer in Vietnam. I did not know that he was awarded the Navy's second highest award for valor: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Webb#Military_service)

Another reason the Left won't run him.

PolWatch
03-01-2015, 08:38 AM
He would make a good Independent candidate.

Max Rockatansky
03-01-2015, 08:42 AM
He would make a good Independent candidate.

I'd vote for him regardless of what party he runs under.

PolWatch
03-01-2015, 08:46 AM
His past is impressive...I like his statements on foreign policy and veteran affairs. (he could be a candidate who would get the military vote) I'm still looking for more information about his views on fiscal issues.

Max Rockatansky
03-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Not a very clear picture of his views, but a good picture of why the far Right doesn't like him:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/why-jim-webb-matters/
Yet all Webb’s tendencies that annoyed me when he was in the Senate might actually be assets as a Clinton primary challenger. Webb supported the major planks of President Obama’s domestic agenda, so it is difficult to paint the former Reagan Navy secretary as some kind of Republican interloper. He was also a staunch liberal on issues like abortion and gay rights, something that would complicate any efforts by Team Hillary to use his more culturally conservative literary work to portray him as a reactionary troglodyte. Webb is a committed economic populist, while Clinton clearly represents the Goldman Sachs wing of the Democratic Party. Webb followed up being right on Iraq when Hillary was wrong with prudent opposition to military interventions even Obama has embraced.

Bo-4
03-01-2015, 10:01 AM

Well, he's written a lot of great songs. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJTqVrYaHo&spfreload=10