PDA

View Full Version : Freakout: The Media's Breathtaking Double Standards on Patriotism and 'Civility'

Wehrwolfen
02-24-2015, 02:05 AM
By Guy Benson
February 23, 2015

Democrats and Republicans play by different rules because the media enforces those rules, and members of the national press tend to be liberal Democrats. During the Bush years, we were often reminded, dissent was the "highest form of patriotism." Over the course Obama's tenure, dissent became dangerous, disrespectful, un-American and quite possibly racist. When a conservative figure says something that seems to impugn or question a prominent liberal's character or love of country, "civility" SWAT teams are dispatched to knock down some proverbial doors. Such transgressions mustn't stand. But when the dynamic is reversed, the civility police are curiously off duty.

Which brings us to Rudygate. For days, the media elite have been hyperventilating into paper bags over caustic comments from a long-retired Republican mayor, who suggested that President Obama doesn't love America. (For the record, Giuliani's assessment was demagogic and unproductive). By virtue of another one-sided media rule -- which stipulates that top Republicans must always answer for every single Republican-involved "outrage" du jour -- Rudygate has magically morphed into Walkergate. The Washington Post decided to use precious time in an exclusive interview with Gov. Scott Walker to interrogate him about Giuliani's remarks, following up with the non sequitur question of whether he thinks Obama is a Christian.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybens...ndard-n1960544 (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2015/02/23/freakout-the-medias-breathtaking-patriotism-double-standard-n1960544)

Really it is astounding the hypocrisy that is shown by the Progressive Left. At least we don't have to go back 1,400 years to prove our moral equivalency in this matter. So the simple question remains. Does Obama love this country he took an oath to serve and protect, or his aim to fundamentally transform American his way of showing his distain for the country he was elected to lead and serve.

Common
02-24-2015, 05:02 AM
I kind of agree with you but the truth is more americans get their news in snippets from cable news than from any traditional news source anymore. Foxnews leads the pack.

Newspapers have vastly diminished power and most people get thier print news on the internet from blogs. Like Drudge report, huffington post etc. The right left ratio of those blogs are pretty damn even up and lets not forget talk radio, which conservatives OWN.

So trying to paint the GOP as poor victims of the press is bogus and nonense.

Ive always respected Rudy but he opened his big mouth put his foot in it and now hes walking those harsh comments back as he should.

To me saying Obama hates america NEEDS proof, because if he did hate america Id want him tried as a traitor.

PolWatch
02-24-2015, 06:35 AM
I don't remember dissent being considered the highest form of patriotism. In fact, I remember a very good Wall Street advertising campaign to influence everyone that invading Iraq was a wonderful thing. Everyone who asked any questions was shouted down as un-American...we weren't even supposed to eat French fries. It worked so well that many who doubted the intel (?) changed their votes (re-election is more important than spine). I guess some people have a selective memory.

Crepitus
02-24-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't remember dissent being considered the highest form of patriotism. In fact, I remember a very good Wall Street advertising campaign to influence everyone that invading Iraq was a wonderful thing. Everyone who asked any questions was shouted down as un-American...we weren't even supposed to eat French fries. It worked so well that many who doubted the intel (?) changed their votes (re-election is more important than spine). I guess some people have a selective memory.
I seem to remember the same things PolWatch. The mainstream media isn't any different now than it was then. What has changed is the extreme right media which has been having fits ever since a black man ended up in the white house. I have never before seen the sheer quantity of hatred spewed by these outlets. According to them President Obama can do no right. Everything he does they don't like. If he changes it either they now don't like that way or they accuse him of flip flopping. The also show no respect at all for the office. When George Bush (either of them) was president everyone referred to them as President Bush, but no one in any media does that now. The president is referred to as simply Obama except by the RWNJs who call him everything from "owebama" on down. And this "Mooshelle" thing is horrible. When I was married anyone who called my wife anything similar would have been in "clear and present danger" and I bet your husband would feel the same way.

OK, rant over. Got carried away there, sorry.

PolWatch
02-24-2015, 09:14 AM
I don't think there is much of a difference between Bush & Obama...which is why I think we are in year 15 of the Bush/Obama presidency.

That said, I don't remember ever hearing the leadership of the opposing party announce that their goal was not to pass laws or tend to the business of the nation, but to make sure the President only had one term.

I also don't remember a time when some members of Congress had signed pledges to not vote for certain legislation before they knew what the legislation was. Signing of the pledges occurring before they were elected to obtain campaign backing and money. I guess they are at least more open about being for sale than those who get their money from special interest lobbies.

Washington is a sewer and the only difference in those spreading the manure is if they have a 'd' or an 'r' on their shovels....

Safety
02-24-2015, 09:43 AM
I seem to remember the same things PolWatch. The mainstream media isn't any different now than it was then. What has changed is the extreme right media which has been having fits ever since a black man ended up in the white house. I have never before seen the sheer quantity of hatred spewed by these outlets. According to them President Obama can do no right. Everything he does they don't like. If he changes it either they now don't like that way or they accuse him of flip flopping. The also show no respect at all for the office. When George Bush (either of them) was president everyone referred to them as President Bush, but no one in any media does that now. The president is referred to as simply Obama except by the RWNJs who call him everything from "owebama" on down. And this "Mooshelle" thing is horrible. When I was married anyone who called my wife anything similar would have been in "clear and present danger" and I bet your husband would feel the same way.

OK, rant over. Got carried away there, sorry.

And sadly, if you mention it, they will say "grow a thicker skin", but when the tables are turned, you are the one being "nasty" or "unpatriotic"