PDA

View Full Version : John Lewis Recalls Apology From Klansman Who Beat Him

Cigar
02-27-2015, 02:59 PM
“Back in 1961, the same year that President Obama was born, black and white people could not board a Greyhound bus … and be seated together,” John Lewis recalled, speaking of the segregation that led to the Freedom Rides. “In South Carolina, in a little town called Rock Hill … my seatmate — a young white gentleman — and two of us tried to enter the so-called white waiting room. We were attacked by the Klan, beaten and left in a pool of blood.”

Years later, soon after Obama’s election as the nation’s first black president, Lewis’s congressional office got a phone call.

“Several years later, in 2009, one of the guys that beat us came to my office on Capitol Hill, with his son, he was in his 70s, his son was in his 40s, and said ‘Mr. Lewis, I’m one of the people that beat you. I want to apologize, will you forgive me?’

“His son started crying. He started crying. And I said, ‘I forgive you,’” Lewis said.

Lewis has told the story of the reconciliation before and traveled back to Rock Hill to again meet with the man, Elwin Wilson, who died in 2013...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y77fUFUfk9I

Mac-7
02-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Now lewis belongs to the most segregated organization in Washington.

the racist, blacks only Congressional Black Caucus.

What a phony he turned out to be.

texan
02-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Was it Robert Byrd?

Safety
02-27-2015, 05:49 PM
“Back in 1961, the same year that President Obama was born, black and white people could not board a Greyhound bus … and be seated together,” John Lewis recalled, speaking of the segregation that led to the Freedom Rides. “In South Carolina, in a little town called Rock Hill … my seatmate — a young white gentleman — and two of us tried to enter the so-called white waiting room. We were attacked by the Klan, beaten and left in a pool of blood.”

Years later, soon after Obama’s election as the nation’s first black president, Lewis’s congressional office got a phone call.

“Several years later, in 2009, one of the guys that beat us came to my office on Capitol Hill, with his son, he was in his 70s, his son was in his 40s, and said ‘Mr. Lewis, I’m one of the people that beat you. I want to apologize, will you forgive me?’

“His son started crying. He started crying. And I said, ‘I forgive you,’” Lewis said.

Lewis has told the story of the reconciliation before and traveled back to Rock Hill to again meet with the man, Elwin Wilson, who died in 2013...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y77fUFUfk9I

It takes a big man to forgive a beating that took place so long ago, but it takes a bigger man to apologize for giving the beating. Nice story.

Safety
02-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Now lewis belongs to the most segregated organization in Washington.

the racist, blacks only Congressional Black Caucus.

What a phony he turned out to be.

Was it Robert Byrd?

:rollseyes: :rollseyes:

birddog
02-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Lewis needs the crap beat out him again for being an extreme racist and liberal! The CBC hopefully is not representative of most black people!

Candace Camp
02-27-2015, 06:42 PM
White people are horrible.

Safety
02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
White people are horrible.

Sounds like something Matty would say.....

PolWatch
02-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanx Cigar - proof that people can and do change.....remembering the positive keeps us all from being overwhelmed by negative.

Mac-7
02-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanx @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294) - proof that people can and do change.....remembering the positive keeps us all from being overwhelmed by negative.

Lewis changed for the worse.

He's the racist segregationist now.

Blackrook
02-27-2015, 08:22 PM
The Democrat party was the party of segregation and the KKK and then it was the party of affirmative action and racial quotas. They haven't learned a damn thing.

PolWatch
02-27-2015, 08:25 PM
and now the states of those racist KKK'ers all vote repub...ain't life grand?

Blackrook
02-27-2015, 08:28 PM
The Republican Party voted to pass the Civil Rights Laws, and has consistently been opposed to all forms of discrimination since then.

It is Democrats who have always pitted the races against each other like the evil cretins from Satan they are.

Mac-7
02-27-2015, 08:38 PM

More partisan bullshit.

Republicans passed the civil rights bill.

Safety
02-27-2015, 09:20 PM
The Democrat party was the party of segregation and the KKK and then it was the party of affirmative action and racial quotas. They haven't learned a damn thing.

Mods, can we have a sticky so that they won't make this mistake again?

Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)
The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%) (John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

More partisan bullshit.

Republicans passed the civil rights bill.

Really?

The original House version:[20]

Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[21]

Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version:[20]

Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[20]

Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)

That'll be $5 for having to spend the time to enlighten you.

Blackrook
02-27-2015, 09:29 PM
The Republican party also freed the slaves, but had to kill hundreds of thousands of Democrats to get the job done.

PolWatch
02-27-2015, 09:32 PM
I didn't argue anything about who passed what...I just pointed out that the states & people who belonged to the dem party THEN are members of the repub party NOW. Ain't life grand?

texan
02-27-2015, 10:54 PM
So things have gotten drastically better?

silvereyes
02-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds like something Matty would say.....

Nah. No exclamation mark.

Cigar
03-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanx @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294) - proof that people can and do change.....remembering the positive keeps us all from being overwhelmed by negative.

Remember Everything, Forget Nothing and Forgive Individuals on a Individual Bases.