PDA

View Full Version : Israeli ex-top diplomat backs boycott

Sultan
06-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Published Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Former top Israeli diplomat Alon Liel threw his backing behind renowned author Alice Walker's decision to shun an Israeli publishing house, citing an international boycott against Israel for its oppression of Palestinians, the Times of Israel reported.

Liel, who served as Israel's ambassador to South Africa between 1992 and 1994 and was also the director of Israel's foreign ministry, said he supported the international campaign against Israel, adding that he too boycotted goods from illegal Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank.

"If nobody speaks about the conflict, nothing will happen. I think that such a move, boycotting products from Israeli factories in the settlements, is a kind of wake-up call," he wrote in South Africa's [I]BusinessDay paper published on Sunday.

"I can understand the desire, by people of conscience, to reassert an agenda of justice, to remind Israelis that Palestinians exist. I can understand small but symbolic acts of protest that hold a mirror up to Israeli society," he said

Liel went on to back Walker's refusal to allow her best-selling novel "The Color Purple" be translated into Hebrew by an Israeli publishing firm to highlight the plight of the Palestinian people.
"I think it’s needed, yes. Unfortunately, I don’t see Israeli politicians waking up from these calls. But it’s better than nothing," he said.

The former Israeli diplomat also defended South Africa's decision to ban "Made in Israel" labels on products from the occupied West Bank.
http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/israeli-ex-top-diplomat-backs-boycott?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AlAkhbarEnglish+%28Al+Akhbar+ English%29

That was a good movie the Colour Purple, the series Roots too.

If the US wasn't such hypocrite they would ban Israeli products too and stop aiding this parasite that spits in their faces.

Bravo Mr Liel!