PDA

View Full Version : Kopi Luwak

CreepyOldDude
03-06-2015, 01:08 PM
I have a hard time imagining how the first person to do so, ever tasted this coffee, which comes from coffee beans eaten by a Palm Civet, and then shat out. At which point, they are apparently retrieved, cleaned somehow, and then used.

How desperate for a cup of coffee, that you'd think to yourself "Man, if only I had some coffee beans. Wait a minute! The cat ate some coffee beans. I wonder if he's shat them out yet? He has! Okay, do I want coffee enough to pick the beans out of the cat's poop? Yeah, I guess I do."

Captain Obvious
03-06-2015, 01:14 PM
I heard about this a long time ago, it's been around for a while.

Never tried it, never saw it anywhere actually.

Would I try it? Assuming it's really pricey, probably not.

CreepyOldDude
03-06-2015, 01:21 PM
I heard about this a long time ago, it's been around for a while.

Never tried it, never saw it anywhere actually.

Would I try it? Assuming it's really pricey, probably not.

The last price I saw was $318/pound. I've never had it, and I first heard about it back when I was in 'Nam. My CO was addicted to cà phê Chồn, which is the Vietnamese name. He'd spend $100 a pound for the stuff.

Captain Obvious
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
The last price I saw was $318/pound. I've never had it, and I first heard about it back when I was in 'Nam. My CO was addicted to cà phê Chồn, which is the Vietnamese name. He'd spend $100 a pound for the stuff.

Yeah, see - nah, how good can it be really.

It's got "fad" written too much over it.

CreepyOldDude
03-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Yeah, see - nah, how good can it be really.

It's got "fad" written too much over it.

I don't know how good it is. But I know people have been spending a bundle on it since around 1850. The CO used to go on about it. :)

Common
03-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Anyone who wants mine, ill gladly give it to you unopened and untried

maineman
03-06-2015, 02:53 PM
I've had it... in the Philippines and in Singapore. It is quite mellow and very tasty but hardly worth the premium price.

PolWatch
03-06-2015, 03:01 PM
as much as I love coffee, just the idea of digging through cat poop is enough to make me drink tea....

maineman
03-06-2015, 03:06 PM
The nice thing is that the consumer is not required to actually do any of the digging.

Common
03-06-2015, 03:09 PM
as much as I love coffee, just the idea of digging through cat poop is enough to make me drink tea....

Or icewater lol

PolWatch
03-06-2015, 03:13 PM
The nice thing is that the consumer is not required to actually do any of the digging.

Just the idea is enough! I'm a wuss!

Peter1469
03-06-2015, 05:18 PM
The price is ridiculous. Unless it has special healing properties it isn't for me.

PolWatch
03-06-2015, 05:20 PM
The price is ridiculous. Unless it has special healing properties it isn't for me.

I don't knew about healing properties...but I heard it makes you climb trees real well! :wink:

nic34
03-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Here's the little cutie ..... a nice kitty for polwatch....:laugh:

http://latazacoffeehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/civet.jpg

Common Sense
03-06-2015, 05:29 PM
A half pound goes for $150 bucks!

My dog barfs up grass sometimes. I wonder if I can sell that as "exotic tea".

CreepyOldDude
03-09-2015, 02:19 PM

The $150 per half pound is for the industrially produced stuff, apparently. They have big industrial farms set up, with the civets in small cages, force fed beans. Supposedly, the taste is inferior, since the civets aren't able to select the best beans. The regular collectors say the end result is lower grade. And the price seems to support that.

The wild thing is, I was kind of right, how it came about. When the Dutch took over in the areas that grow coffee, they wouldn't let the poor natives have coffee, unless they paid retail for it. Which was extremely expensive. So, after they noticed that the Dutch had no interest in the beans embedded in civet crap, they collected the beans, washed them, roasted them, ground them up, and made coffee. Which was better than anything the Dutch were drinking, according to the history I read.

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 02:57 PM
that is a logical explanation on how/why someone tried those recycled beans! I wonder about things like that too!

strollingbonez
03-09-2015, 05:18 PM
do yall have any idea what animal parts yall eat daily and i am not speaking of steaks but bug parts?

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 05:31 PM
do yall have any idea what animal parts yall eat daily and i am not speaking of steaks but bug parts?

I try to make it a policy not to consume anything that's passed through a sphincter.

Can't say I have a perfect record though, but it's a goal.

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 05:34 PM
I try to make it a policy not to consume anything that's passed through a sphincter.

Can't say I have a perfect record though, but it's a goal.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607991636720222589&w=98&h=102&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.1&rm=2 (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=facepalm+emoticon&id=F5070626D29789B1349BE3A6DAA8EF4A84F735BB&FORM=IQFRBA)

rembrant
03-12-2015, 09:44 PM
I have a hard time imagining how the first person to do so, ever tasted this coffee, which comes from coffee beans eaten by a Palm Civet, and then shat out. At which point, they are apparently retrieved, cleaned somehow, and then used.

How desperate for a cup of coffee, that you'd think to yourself "Man, if only I had some coffee beans. Wait a minute! The cat ate some coffee beans. I wonder if he's shat them out yet? He has! Okay, do I want coffee enough to pick the beans out of the cat's poop? Yeah, I guess I do." The Dutch owned the plantations. The Natives picked the coffee beans but were not allowed to keep any. HOWEVER... the Dutch did not want the cat shit beans.. the locals were welcome to those. Later.. the Growers found out that was actually VERY good coffee.

i never had Kopi Luack coffee.

I DID have the Kopi Luack version of Oil Of Aphrodite Stout. Oil of Aphrodite is a very intense stout made with local Black Walnuts. A rare version also included Kopi Luack. I've have various beers with coffee in the brew.. and NONE did coffee so well. Don't look for it.. it was a one time tap at the Brewpub in Ohio. The coffee flavor was WONDERFUL.

Common
03-12-2015, 09:45 PM

lool make the price high enough someone will buy it