PDA

View Full Version : Another Oil Tanker Train Derailment

hanger4
03-07-2015, 07:26 AM
A 105-car freight train derailed in Illinois Thursday night, and at least two of the 103 cars loaded with crude oil were set ablaze.

The train derailed in a rural area near Galena, Ill. and no injuries have been reported. Local officials announced a voluntary evacuation for residents within a one-mile radius of the site. At least five cars derailed from the train, which originated in North Dakota.

http://time.com/3735266/illinois-crude-oil-train-derail/

Peter1469
03-07-2015, 07:37 AM
No more pipelines!

hanger4
03-07-2015, 07:53 AM
No more pipelines!
Kind of a *Damned if ya do and Damned if ya don't*

Peter1469
03-07-2015, 07:54 AM
Pipelines are much safer. Not sure about cost, although if you factor in clean up costs I imagine pipelines have to be much cheaper than trucking.

GrassrootsConservative
03-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Pipelines are much safer. Not sure about cost, although if you factor in clean up costs I imagine pipelines have to be much cheaper than trucking.

It's way too bad dumb people have turned this into a partisan game like everything else. Just think of all the fuel these trains and trucks have to burn to transport the oil. Pipelines are next-to nothing once you build them and no constant fuel burning.

hanger4
03-07-2015, 08:16 AM
It's way too bad dumb people have turned this into a partisan game like everything else. Just think of all the fuel these trains and trucks have to burn to transport the oil. Pipelines are next-to nothing once you build them and no constant fuel burning.

True dat. The only argument that has any kind of merit (IMO) is environmental and even that seems to be tit-for-tat, tanker trucks and trains vs pipeline. I've said this several times *the oil will be shipped-take your pick*.

GrassrootsConservative
03-07-2015, 08:26 AM
True dat. The only argument that has any kind of merit (IMO) is environmental and even that seems to be tit-for-tat, tanker trucks and trains vs pipeline. I've said this several times *the oil will be shipped-take your pick*.

I say we shackle our illegal immigrants and make a line of them extending from Canada to the Gulf and they can hand off spoons filled with oil at a rate of pay equivalent to whatever we save on fuel costs divided up between the lot of them.

10,000 gallons you earn your citizenship.

Adelaide
03-07-2015, 08:52 AM
I can sort of understand and appreciate a lot of reasons why some want to block the pipeline plans, but at the same time we've seen a lot of mistakes transporting oil that could be mostly avoided. My biggest concern with any pipeline is security - I know we've had some incidents out west.

hanger4
03-07-2015, 09:21 AM
I can sort of understand and appreciate a lot of reasons why some want to block the pipeline plans, but at the same time we've seen a lot of mistakes transporting oil that could be mostly avoided. My biggest concern with any pipeline is security - I know we've had some incidents out west.

security ??