PDA

View Full Version : A Political Glossary

Chris
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Sowell's always right on target...

A Political Glossary (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/06/26/a_political_glossary_114610.html)
Since this is an election year, we can expect to hear a lot of words -- and the meaning of those words is not always clear. So it may be helpful to have a glossary of political terms.

One of the most versatile terms in the political vocabulary is "fairness." It has been used over a vast range of issues, from "fair trade" laws to the Fair Labor Standards Act. And recently we have heard that the rich don't pay their "fair share" of taxes.

Some of us may want to see a definition of what is "fair." But a concrete definition would destroy the versatility of the word, which is what makes it so useful politically.

If you said, for example, that 46.7 percent of their income -- or any other number -- is the "fair share" of their income that the rich should have to pay in taxes, then once they paid that amount, there would be no basis for politicians to come back to them for more -- and "more" is what "fair share" means in practice.

Life in general has never been even close to fair, so the pretense that the government can make it fair is a valuable and inexhaustible asset to politicians who want to expand government.

"Racism" is another term....

MMC
06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
What do they got for Abyss? :laugh: :wink:

Cigar
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
"fairness" has always been a difficult concept for people who are "special".

Chris
06-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Then define it.

MMC
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Does, that include a Multinational individual that went to prep school in another country, then came here and was given Special Grants to get into Colombia and Harvard, then due to a technicality was able to win a State Senator Seat, then was voted into the Presidency?

Mainecoons
06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Don't forget that Nobel "Peace" Prize.

What do you mean "multi-national?" For 16 years, his bio said he was born in Kenya. Got all sorts of goodies from that one, like a nice free ride at Occidental.

Then a miracle--Mr. Ayers and his other radical handlers rebirthed him in America!

How can liberals believe that God is dead? Only God could perform such miracles as the rebirthing of Barack Obama/Barry Soetoro/Who the hell is hie??

Oh ye of little faith!

MMC
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Don't forget that Nobel "Peace" Prize.

What do you mean "multi-national?" For 16 years, his bio said he was born in Kenya. Got all sorts of goodies from that one, like a nice free ride at Occidental.

Then a miracle--Mr. Ayers and his other radical handlers rebirthed him in America!

How can liberals believe that God is dead? Only God could perform such miracles as the rebirthing of Barack Obama/Barry Soetoro/Who the hell is hie??

Oh ye of little faith!

I meant Black, White, African, and whatever other nationalities he is from his mothers side. Who is he?

I thought you knew.....

Little Children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know it is the last time. -First Letter of Paul.

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Sowell's always right on target...

A Political Glossary (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/06/26/a_political_glossary_114610.html)

Yep, we've heard those terms form this administration quite often for the last nearly 4 years.

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 06:22 PM
http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2012/06/27/a_political_glossary_part_ii/page/full/

Political glossery II

Politicians seem to have a special fondness for words that have two very different meanings, so we are likely to hear a lot of these kinds of words this election year."Access" is one of those words. Politicians seem to be forever coming to the rescue of people who have been denied "access" to credit, college or whatever.But what does that mean, concretely?It could mean that some external force is blocking you from whatever your goal might be. Or it could mean that you just don't have whatever it takes to reach that goal.To take a personal example, Michael Jordan became a basketball star -- and a very rich man. I did neither. Was that because I was denied "access" to professional basketball?Anyone who saw me as a teenager trying to play basketball could tell you that I was lucky to hit the back board, much less the basket.By the first definition, I had as much "access" to the NBA as Michael Jordan had. Nobody was blocking me. They didn't have to block, because I was not going to make the basket -- or the NBA -- anyway.Making a distinction between external and internal reasons for failing to reach one's goal would clarify the meaning of the word "access." But clarification would destroy the political usefulness of the word, along with the government programs that this word is used to justify.For years, politicians and the media went ballistic over the fact that different groups had different approval rates for mortgage loans. This was supposed to show that some racial groups were denied "access" to mortgage loans, and especially access to the most desired loans with the lowest interest rates.

More at the link

Conservatives = we pay for it legally.
Liberals = someone else pays for it.
Social Justice = Communism.
Level playing field = only the protected groups we authorize can participate.
Equal access = does not mean equal outcomes.

Chris
06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for follow up!

Goldie Locks
06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks for follow up!

:thumbsup:

Cigar
06-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Does, that include a Multinational individual that went to prep school in another country, then came here and was given Special Grants to get into Colombia and Harvard, then due to a technicality was able to win a State Senator Seat, then was voted into the Presidency?

4 Years later and it still smarts ... :)

MMC
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
4 Years later and it still smarts ... :)

Hows that Specialness play out with being fair? Or do we need to ask his former friends and buddies that he has sent packin?

patrickt
06-29-2012, 08:39 AM

But it's easy for liberals to define. President Obama defined it when he said, "We help our friends and punish our enemies." What could be more fair than that?

Actually, I've figured out the "code". If you speak ill of the King you are saying black, are a racist, and will go straight to jail.

Eric Holder will be suing to have only Democrats on the ballot in this election. His grounds will be that including others confuses the traditional liberal voters. You know, dead people, non-English speaking, drunk and those with Alzheimers.

Trinnity
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Fairness=collectivism