PDA

View Full Version : Original Selma Organizer Refused To Join March Alongside George W. Bush

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:15 PM
A civil rights leader who helped organize the 1965 "Bloody Sunday" procession in Selma, Alabama, refused to participate in a 50th-anniversary commemoration march this weekend because former President George W. Bush was involved, she said in an interview Saturday.

“I refused to march because George Bush marched," Diane Nash, a founding member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, told "NewsOne Now (http://newsone.com/3096447/diane-nash-refused-to-march-with-president-bush-at-selma/)" host Roland Martin. “I think the Selma movement was about nonviolence and peace and democracy, and George Bush stands for just the opposite – for violence and war and stolen elections."

Nash said that Bush's legacy was at odds with that of the Selma movement, saying that the commemoration "should have been a celebration of nonviolence.”

The former President's attendance was "an insult to me and people who really do believe in nonviolence," she added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HJdKlCHiwp4

Personally I don't blame George W Bush, he didn't know what he was doing and he was being LEAD by his VP appointed DICK! :laugh:

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:17 PM
She sounds like a douchebag.

Common
03-09-2015, 01:20 PM

I agree, bush made an effort to show support and to my knowledge he never displayed racist behavior while Potus, there was absolutely no reason to not give credit where credit was due.

This shows the narrowmindedness that makes race relation repairs even more difficult and when it happens on either side

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 01:24 PM
I doubt she was missed. I'm not a fan of all GWB's actions but I don't think this lady's remarks or actions are appropriate.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I agree, bush made an effort to show support and to my knowledge he never displayed racist behavior while Potus, there was absolutely no reason to not give credit where credit was due.

This shows the narrowmindedness that makes race relation repairs even more difficult and when it happens on either side

Bush was a good man, well meaning man. You have to understand that the concept of racism has been trivialized.

Bob
03-09-2015, 01:27 PM
She is racist. What did Cigar expect from her?

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
I suspect this has more to do with 'my team/your team' than race. Race is the hook she used to hang her partisanship on.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Bush was a good man, well meaning man. You have to understand that the concept of racism has been trivialized.

I personally don't believe George W Bush has a Racist bone in his body ....

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM

I have lots of issues with teh O'bama but I'm not a big enough douchebag to say publicly "look - I'm a douchebag" with a current or former POTUS.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
I suspect this has more to do with 'my team/your team' than race. Race is the hook she used to hang her partisanship on.

Her issue ... like Millions others, is Goerge W Bush stance on The War.

Bob
03-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Cato and I were in his convertible one weekend day at Ft. Benning, GA in 1962. It was hotter than hell and you wore the climate. You have to experience that extreme humidity to catch my drift.

Cato, I says, why don't we drive into Columbus and see what is going on in town.

Cato resists. I put some fuel in his car so he had plenty of that. When I first got into his car, he complained he was short of fuel. He had a very nice late model Chevrolet Impala. Man, those convertibles I figured would get us some favorable attention.

Cato says, Bob, we won't go into town.

Why not I ask, mentioning the gas to him.

I am not the right shade he says. I met Cato at Ft. Ord and I was his Platoon Sgt with the temporary unpaid rank of Sgt. I figured he could trust me and the others in his car to handle ourselves.

He refused. Saying if we went into town, that Democrat town, we probably would be beaten by a gang and maybe killed.

We never went into Columbus.

Democrats sure were shitty.

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 01:34 PM
I can agree with her opposition to the invasion of Iraq. However, I don't think this event was the time or place to voice that objection. I think it demeans an historic event to try and use it for something like that. GWB was many things, but not a racist.

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Cato and I were in his convertible one weekend day at Ft. Benning, GA in 1962. It was hotter than hell and you wore the climate. You have to experience that extreme humidity to catch my drift.

Cato, I says, why don't we drive into Columbus and see what is going on in town.

Cato resists. I put some fuel in his car so he had plenty of that. When I first got into his car, he complained he was short of fuel. He had a very nice late model Chevrolet Impala. Man, those convertibles I figured would get us some favorable attention.

I am not the right shade he says. I met Cato at Ft. Ord and I was his Platoon Sgt with the temporary unpaid rank of Sgt. I figured he could trust me and the others in his car to handle ourselves.

He refused. Saying if we went into town, that Democrat town, we probably would be beaten by a gang and maybe killed.

same situation as the lady in the OP ^^^ using unrelated event for partisan ranting

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I can agree with her opposition to the invasion of Iraq. However, I don't think this event was the time or place to voice that objection. I think it demeans an historic event to try and use it for something like that. GWB was many things, but not a racist.

Exactly.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:37 PM
PolWatch - I love it when these sports guys pull this shit like that TE from Green Bay years ago, can't remember this schmucks name. When they won the SB he refused to go to the whitehouse for "moral" reasons, then got caught banging his 17yr old babysitter.

:biglaugh:

Common Sense
03-09-2015, 01:40 PM
She didn't really say anything that was incorrect.

But let's just call the old lady a douchebag.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 01:42 PM

true but we could say the same about Obama at least as far as war and violence is concerned.

OK. Old lady, you're a douchebag.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 01:43 PM
You could say the same thing about every POTUS in my lifetime.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Who said being a douchebag had anything to do with accuracy?

Accuracy <> douchebaggery

Common
03-09-2015, 01:45 PM
@PolWatch (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1099) - I love it when these sports guys pull this shit like that TE from Green Bay years ago, can't remember this schmucks name. When they won the SB he refused to go to the whitehouse for "moral" reasons, then got caught banging his 17yr old babysitter.

:biglaugh:

I remember that Lmao

Common Sense
true but we could say the same about Obama at least as far as war and violence is concerned.

Sure.

Captain Obvious
Mark Chmura - that TE for the fudgepackers.

Cigar

Persoanlly I think she can Voice your persoanl objections, without infringing on anyone elses right to attened.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Welcome to 2015, people can not voice their opinions without asking your permission.

Get use to it.

PolWatch
03-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Persoanlly I think she can Voice your persoanl objections, without infringing on anyone elses right to attened.

I agree....the same way I can say I think she is wrong....

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Welcome to 2015, people can not voice their opinions without asking your permission.

Get use to it.

Hey, Gomer - guess what my opinion is?

She's a douchebag.

Ayep....

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Oh wait - that's right, since she's black and the dubya is white, that makes her clearly, by progressive standards a racist too.

Common Sense
03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
She's black?

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 01:50 PM
She's black?

I'm guessing, could be wrong.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Get use to it.

Exactly. Captain will have the last word on whether or not you can voice an opinion. :laugh:

Common Sense
03-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Douchebags.

Mister D
She's black?

Yeah, but she looks like one of them high steppin' yellers.

Bob
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=991340#post991340)

same situation as the lady in the OP ^^^ using unrelated event for partisan ranting

As if you don't do the same thing.

Clearly race was not an issue to you.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Hey, Gomer - guess what my opinion is?

She's a douchebag.

Ayep....

I'm sure somewhere on your planet someone cares enough to ask for your opinion and put it on YouTube :laugh:

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:54 PM
I agree....the same way I can say I think she is wrong....

I wish Congress Hated War as much as it Hated Peace.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
“I think the Selma movement was about nonviolence and peace and democracy, and George Bush stands for just the opposite – for violence and war and stolen elections."

Well she does have a point and she never once mentioned Race, just you guys. :laugh:

Common
03-09-2015, 01:57 PM
“I think the Selma movement was about nonviolence and peace and democracy, and George Bush stands for just the opposite – for violence and war and stolen elections."

Well she does have a point and she never once mentioned Race, just you guys. :laugh:

yeah I guess bush is chartruese, who you trying to kid cigar lol nice try no cigar though

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Too many Americans at first got it, they forgot they got it, now hate the Iraq war.

It was no worse than what Clinton did when he was president. And now you have this hypocrite bellowing he is anti war but still uses American military might for his purposes. Who you ask? Barack Hussein Obama is who. Remember how he bragged he sent an invading force into Pakistan and killed Osama Bin Laden?

How he boasted he killed an American in Yemen with no trial?

SouthernBelle82
03-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Don't blame her since his party has been trying to deny people the right to vote all this time. Remember Bush V Gore and all that shit? All these Voter ID bills and the crap with ACORN etc etc?

Cigar
03-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Don't blame her since his party has been trying to deny people the right to vote all this time. Remember Bush V Gore and all that $#@!?

No they don't remember or care to remember ...

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:08 PM
I doubt she was missed. I'm not a fan of all GWB's actions but I don't think this lady's remarks or actions are appropriate.

But the media treated her like she is some hero. Go figure.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Too many Americans at first got it, they forgot they got it, now hate the Iraq war.

It was no worse than what Clinton did when he was president. And now you have this hypocrite bellowing he is anti war but still uses American military might for his purposes. Who you ask? Barack Hussein Obama is who. Remember how he bragged he sent an invading force into Pakistan and killed Osama Bin Laden?

How he boasted he killed an American in Yemen with no trial?

The point is, we're supose to LEARN from passed War Mistakes, not repeat them over and over and over and over again :rollseyes:

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Don't blame her since his party has been trying to deny people the right to vote all this time. Remember Bush V Gore and all that shit? All these Voter ID bills and the crap with ACORN etc etc?

Oh yeah, and Black Panther thugs intimidating white voters, and ACORN...

Ahh yes, equal fucking rights for everyone...

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:10 PM

Come on. You sound like you could be a nice gal if you don't tell fibs.

Your problem is you believe what Democrats tell you.

Gore lost. The votes were counted so many times and every time he lost.

It was close but Gore lost.

Worse, Gore even lost Tennessee his home state.

Cigar
03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Come on. You sound like you could be a nice gal if you don't tell fibs.

Your problem is you believe what Democrats tell you.

Gore lost. The votes were counted so many times and every time he lost.

It was close but Gore lost.

Worse, Gore even lost Tennessee his home state.

... and Wrold moved on ... Then came Barack Obama, and the Rules changed again.

McCain and Romney LOST ... and what did The GOP do? :laugh:

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM
The point is, we're supose to LEARN from passed War Mistakes, not repeat them over and over and over and over again :rollseyes:

I agree with that. When the Invasion started, I had gone on record telling a forum that Bush was not going to attack. I saw his plan. He really did not want to invade. I was laughed at. My reason is all the threats he made to Saddam and offers to get out of Iraq. People forgot or don't know of the many times he told Saddam to get out of Iraq.

Bush is not like Obama. When Bush makes a promise, he keeps it. Bush did not want war damage to Iraq. He knew if he broke it, he would have to fix it.

Had he not invaded, he looks like an ass.

Besides, Clinton set up the law. I have posted the Clinton law a lot of times.

We have the advantage of seeing that war AFTER it was done.

Suppose you watch a baseball game. You sit down not knowing the way the game will play out. You asume your team will win. You honestly believe it. And at the end of the game, your team was beat 10 to 0.

Now, up jumps people to now claim, they knew all along the score would be 10-0.

Point made is Bush had no idea what the final score was to be but he had to play the game. We get the fun of never making serious decisions.

Read Bush's Decisions points book.

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:18 PM

If you did two things, we could have a nice chat.

First, act serious.
Second speak as if you understand what took place.

Want to do that?

Say yes or I show up to key that Corvette. :justkidding:

Common Sense
I agree with that. When the Invasion started, I had gone on record telling a forum that Bush was not going to attack. I saw his plan. He really did not want to invade. I was laughed at. My reason is all the threats he made to Saddam and offers to get out of Iraq. People forgot or don't know of the many times he told Saddam to get out of Iraq.

Bush is not like Obama. When Bush makes a promise, he keeps it. Bush did not want war damage to Iraq. He knew if he broke it, he would have to fix it.

Had he not invaded, he looks like an ass.

Besides, Clinton set up the law. I have posted the Clinton law a lot of times.

We have the advantage of seeing that war AFTER it was done.

Suppose you watch a baseball game. You sit down not knowing the way the game will play out. You asume your team will win. You honestly believe it. And at the end of the game, your team was beat 10 to 0.

Now, up jumps people to now claim, they knew all along the score would be 10-0.

Point made is Bush had no idea what the final score was to be but he had to play the game. We get the fun of never making serious decisions.

Read Bush's Decisions points book.

That's a line of bull if I've ever heard one. Bush was intent on invading Iraq from day one.

Clinton's law, as you put it, put no onus on invading and occupying Iraq. That was Bush's choice. A choice he seems to relish in.

Mr. Right

They took the house and senate, but it was like giving a microscope to an infant.

Mister D
03-09-2015, 02:21 PM
They took the house and senate, but it was like giving a microscope to an infant.

That's gonna leave a mark.

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:25 PM
That's a line of bull if I've ever heard one. Bush was intent on invading Iraq from day one.

Clinton's law, as you put it, put no onus on invading and occupying Iraq. That was Bush's choice. A choice he seems to relish in.

It is pure FACT. I don't do as your side does and make shit up.

If you really think Bush feels great, think again.

He wanted Iraq to stand up fast on it's own. But it did not.

I love how the left does not mind all the war shit Clinton did. Even to Iraq. They loved those bombs falling there and in Kosovo area.

Mr. Right
03-09-2015, 02:42 PM
What was even funnier was all the Democrats with that clownish line, "I was for the war before I was against it." Which equates to, "I voted to carpet bomb Iraq, but I didn't really mean it."

Bob
03-09-2015, 02:54 PM
What was even funnier was all the Democrats with that clownish line, "I was for the war before I was against it." Which equates to, "I voted to carpet bomb Iraq, but I didn't really mean it."

Democrats were ready for war when Clinton was still president.

I used to argue with them when Bill Clinton illegally waged war on more than one country.

Bush at least got rid of sanctions on Iraq. It is not Bush's fault that some Sunnis raised hell.

If Democrats are willing to blame Obama for Syria and Iraq, then we can talk.

Why is the belligerent Obama going after Russia? What the hell is that all about? And Ukraine is our business ... why? Really why do we get in that mess?

Peter1469
03-09-2015, 04:35 PM
That decision was as dumb as the decision by possible GOP candidates to skip it. He needs to ponder on what MLK would have done.

Professor Peabody
03-09-2015, 10:13 PM

douchebag? I think she's an outright racist refusing to march with a White man.