PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Holds Election to Decide What to Do About Low Turnout, and No One Shows Up

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Since nobody posts in US Politics anymore...

I think we need to go back to competency testing for voting. Pass a competence test, re-take every 5 years or so and you can vote. And yeah, I know - it will never happen. The establishment thrives on idiocy.

Voters with little or no income or a significant portion of their income from entitlement programs should also be barred from voting.

The voting age should be 21 also.

In my humble, honest and generally 100% accurate opinion of course.

Besides, everyone knows the best way to get voters to vote is to pay them.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/la-holds-election-to-decide-what-to-do-about-low-turnout-and-no-one-shows-up-5416522

Low turnout was the top citywide issue on Tuesday's ballot, so it's fitting that almost nobody showed up. As of this morning, the city clerk pegged turnout at 8.6 percent, though that number will creep up as more ballots are counted. With any luck, the final figure will almost touch 11 percent.

L.A. elections are starting to resemble the meetings of a ham radio society, where the top issue on each month's agenda is how to attract new members to the ham radio society.

The latest solution is to move the election dates. The handful of people who did go to the polls on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly to shift the city's elections to even years, consolidating them with state and federal contests. Charter Amendments 1 and 2 passed with more than 76 percent of the vote.

Peter1469
03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
awesome

Mac-7
03-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Since nobody posts in US Politics anymore...

I think we need to go back to competency testing for voting. Pass a competence test, re-take every 5 years or so and you can vote. And yeah, I know - it will never happen. The establishment thrives on idiocy.

Voters with little or no income or a significant portion of their income from entitlement programs should also be barred from voting.

The voting age should be 21 also.

In my humble, honest and generally 100% accurate opinion of course.

Besides, everyone knows the best way to get voters to vote is to pay them.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/la-holds-election-to-decide-what-to-do-about-low-turnout-and-no-one-shows-up-5416522

I guess the Mexicans who live there saw not reason to vote if the issue was not amnesty or reconquesta.

The Xl
03-09-2015, 05:43 PM
The last thing you should want is this corrupt establishment selectively imposing some sort of arbitrary test that would benefit them.

I also have an issue denying rights and representation to people of any age group or income level. Any laws and such imposed on those segments of society become null and illegitimate at that point.

As far as that embarrassing turnout goes, it's probably apathy, but I'm not sure if it's because they inherently don't care, or because they know the game is rigged.

Captain Obvious
03-09-2015, 05:47 PM
The last thing you should want is this corrupt establishment selectively imposing some sort of arbitrary test that would benefit them.

I also have an issue denying rights and representation to people of any age group or income level. Any laws and such imposed on those segments of society become null and illegitimate at that point.

As far as that embarrassing turnout goes, it's probably apathy, but I'm not sure if it's because they inherently don't care, or because they know the game is rigged.

The whole thing is a farce then.

The Xl
03-09-2015, 05:50 PM
The whole thing is a farce then.

It's been a farce for a long time. Even when people vote for someone who appears good on paper, said person turns around and governs against the platform they campaigned on.

metheron
03-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Don't have an 'election day'. Have an election month or couple weeks, whatever. Let people vote at their convenience. Come up with a system to allow people to vote on line. It seems like there is a better, more effective way this day and age.

Peter1469
03-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Give them the option of none of the above so they can make their disapproval part of the official record.

metheron
03-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Give them the option of none of the above so they can make their disapproval part of the official record.

That at least might give a better reason for why people aren't voting.