PDA

View Full Version : Alabama House passes contentious marriage bill after four hours of debate

Captain Obvious
03-13-2015, 10:33 AM
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/alabama_house_passes_contentio_2.html

After nearly four hours of debate, the Alabama House on Thursday passed a bill that gives judges, ministers and other officiants the right to refuse to perform marriage ceremonies.

Many Democrat lawmakers called the bill discriminatory, unnecessary and a waste of taxpayer money.

Rep. Jim Hill, R-Moody, said he sponsored the bill after receiving phone calls from judges and ministers concerned they would be required to perform marriages ceremonies they didn't want to perform.

House Bill 56, the Freedom of Religion in Marriage Protection Act, passed 69-25. The bill now moves on to the Senate for consideration.

In session today, Rep. A.J. McCampbell, D-Livingston, asked Hill: "Why all of a sudden has this become an issue?"

Hill replied: "I can't answer that, sir."

PolWatch
03-13-2015, 10:40 AM
The long debate was due to a disagreement over wording. The moderate faction won with the wording of 'refusal to perform ceremonies for gay couples' over the first proposed 'right to shoot gay couples'.....<snark off>

Common Sense
03-13-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't see a problem with that.

exotix
03-13-2015, 10:48 AM
We have compassionate religion here ... LOL

TrueBlue
03-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Ah, but then the Big News may well hit Alabama like a lead balloon when the SCOTUS weighs in this June with their decision, if favorable, on this issue. That would effectively end all litigation and lawsuits right and left in this country. And all 50 states could ensure that all same-sex marriages could then ensue unimpeded. That's why we always need higher Federal authority to oversee and correct the incorrect decisions of lower lawmaking entities.

PolWatch
03-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I don't think the legislature realizes that gay couples are not as concerned with who performs the ceremony. They are concerned about getting the license which this pile of doo-doo has nothing to do with.

In the meantime, Governor Bentley (R) is demanding huge tax increases to produce more income for the state of Alabama. I wonder how much $$$ is spent by the state on stupidity like this bill and financing Roy Moore's hysterics.

TrueBlue
03-13-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't think the legislature realizes that gay couples are not as concerned with who performs the ceremony. They are concerned about getting the license which this pile of doo-doo has nothing to do with.

In the meantime, Governor Bentley (R) is demanding huge tax increases to produce more income for the state of Alabama. I wonder how much $$$ is spent by the state on stupidity like this bill and financing Roy Moore's hysterics.
Exactly Pol! And there goes the belief and assertion that Republicans are for lower taxes or "No New Taxes!" They cannot ever be believed again on this!

gamewell45
03-13-2015, 12:42 PM
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/alabama_house_passes_contentio_2.html

Religious organizations cannot be compelled to marry anyone they do not want to; judges and other officials are a different story since they are paid by public dollars.

If it passes the senate the upper courts will most likely strike it down as a violation of Title VII.