PDA

View Full Version : Criticism, Some From The Right, Builds On GOP Letter To Iran

Common
03-14-2015, 03:24 AM
Of course it was the wrong thing to do and all the mimeing by our far right wing parrots wont change that.

Criticism of 47 Republican senators' letter to Iranian leaders escalated Friday, and one of the lawmakers expressed misgivings about writing directly to an adversary to raise doubts about President Barack Obama's nuclear negotiations.Several newspapers that had endorsed the senators' elections were harshly critical. A handful of conservative commentators and former GOP aides joined legions of liberals in calling the letter ill-advised.
Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, who may face a tough re-election next year, defended the letter, but added, "If there was any regret, tactically, it probably would have been better just to have it be an open letter addressed to no one."
Another signer, Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas, expressed similar thoughts. The letter "could have been addressed to other folks and gotten the message out," Roberts said. "But I think the message is more important than who we send it to."
All but seven of the Senate's Republicans signed the letter, but no Democrats did. The letter warns Iran's leaders that any negotiated agreement on their nuclear program could expire when Obama leaves office.
Democrats and some academics say the letter undermines Obama's — and future presidents' — ability to set foreign policy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/14/gop-iran-letter-criticism_n_6868398.html

Peter1469
03-14-2015, 04:15 AM
This is the hard left and the MSMs, sorry I repeat myself, spin from the real issue: that once again this regime is refusing to follow the US Constitution. Because it is hard.

Yes a lot of international agreements are done by memorandums of understanding that don't require the advice and consent of the Senate. But all thinking people realize that those agreements are over trivial issues. A deal over Iran's nuclear program is not trivial. It should be taken seriously and the treaty process should be used. Our executive branch ought not be used as if it had dictatorial powers.

exotix
03-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Even despotic Junta's believe they're Patriots.

zelmo1234
03-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Peter, I don't think you will ever see anyone form the left worried abut the constitution when they are in power.

But let the next President issue and executive order to leave the Whitehouse grass an inch higher, and all hell is going to break loose.

The only hope that I see is for congress to assume it's rightful roll in the making of laws.

Peter1469
03-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Peter, I don't think you will ever see anyone form the left worried abut the constitution when they are in power.

But let the next President issue and executive order to leave the Whitehouse grass an inch higher, and all hell is going to break loose.

The only hope that I see is for congress to assume it's rightful roll in the making of laws.

I don't think the Constitution factors into any of their decisions about how government should operate.

PolWatch
03-14-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't think the Constitution factors into any of their decisions about how government should operate.

do you think the actions of the 47 were influenced by Constitutional factors or political posturing? I suspect that politics were the primary reason and the Constitution was the justification.

Peter1469
03-14-2015, 11:28 AM
do you think the actions of the 47 were influenced by Constitutional factors or political posturing? I suspect that politics were the primary reason and the Constitution was the justification.

I agree that the "47" have the Constitutional duty to concern themselves with foreign affairs. That is what they did. I have already disagreed with the manner that they did it.