PDA

View Full Version : Civilizing the Internet

Conley
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I guess if we were in the EU Politirant would be in serious danger...

"The online world is looking nervously at Europe, whose leaders are making ever-louder noises about joining forces to bring "civility" to the Internet. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has led the cheering squad. At the last G8 conference Sarkozy rolled out a digital laundry list of Internet-related problems that need ironing and folding容verything from intellectual property protections to the need for cyber folk "to show tolerance and respect for diversity of language, culture and ideas.""

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/how-france-proved-that-the-internet-is-not-global.ars

internet police ::) ::) ::)

Mister D
06-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I guess if we were in the EU Politirant would be in serious danger...

"The online world is looking nervously at Europe, whose leaders are making ever-louder noises about joining forces to bring "civility" to the Internet. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has led the cheering squad. At the last G8 conference Sarkozy rolled out a digital laundry list of Internet-related problems that need ironing and folding容verything from intellectual property protections to the need for cyber folk "to show tolerance and respect for diversity of language, culture and ideas.""

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/how-france-proved-that-the-internet-is-not-global.ars

internet police ::) ::) ::)

Yeah, that's pretty scary. You know there are elements here that want the same thing done. All in the name of civility of course... ::)

Conley
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
yeah, as long as it's civility as they define it...it does seem that we're headed for a more regulated internet here in the us as well as europe, but i think the eu is more worried about pc issues where the us is more worried about corporate interests, like sharing movies and music files, etc. all these efforts will do is cost great time and expense to the government while the people that run these things will move it underground.

is this really the only problem left that our governments have to solve? how about making sure your citizens are decently fed clothed and sheltered (via available jobs, not handouts) instead of wasting time on this crap.

Mister D
06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I think that copyright protection may be a major pretext but the ultimate goal is to regulate speech, IMO. The imperial bureaucracy in Europe isn't the least bit shy about it. In the US the establishment parties want to do the same thing. They just know it will take more to convince us that it's for our own good. ::) I expect a divide and conquer strategy. They'll start small...

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
The only true defenders of freedom of speech are the Dutch at this point.

Mister D
06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
The only true defenders of freedom of speech are the Dutch at this point.

That they had a trial for Wilders at all is somewhat disturbing but the verdict was what it should have been. Moreover, I think many Dutchmen agree with me that the trial should not have happened.

blaster
06-16-2016, 05:59 PM
I guess if we were in the EU Politirant would be in serious danger... "The online world is looking nervously at Europe, whose leaders are making ever-louder noises about joining forces to bring "civility" to the Internet. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has led the cheering squad. At the last G8 conference Sarkozy rolled out a digital laundry list of Internet-related problems that need ironing and folding容verything from intellectual property protections to the need for cyber folk "to show tolerance and respect for diversity of language, culture and ideas."" http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/06/how-france-proved-that-the-internet-is-not-global.ars (/tech-policy/news/2011/06/how-france-proved-that-the-internet-is-not-global.ars) internet police ::) ::) ::) Who gets to decide what is "civil" or not. There should be only one goalpost. Which is wherther or not something is true.