PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Pence blames Obamacare for Indiana Religious Freedom Law

exotix
03-31-2015, 08:07 AM
Today

Gov. Pence Pins Need for Indiana Religious Freedom Law on Obamacare

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pence-pins-need-indiana-religious-freedom-law-obamacare-n332926

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence swung back again Monday at critics of the state's controversial "religious freedom" law, writing in a Wall Street Journal op-ed that Obamacare had made it imperative to ensure that "religious liberty is fully protected under Indiana law."

Noting that the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act — which President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1993 — didn't apply to states, Pence argued in an article being published Tuesday that Indiana was only doing what 19 other states have done.

And he stressed that Indiana's identically named law has nothing to do with limiting the rights of same-sex couples.

"I abhor discrimination.
I believe in the Golden Rule that you should 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you,'" Pence wrote.
"If I saw a restaurant owner refuse to serve a gay couple, I wouldn't eat there anymore."

Pence said his support for the law was driven by the 2010 Affordable Care Act, which he said "renewed concerns about government infringement on deeply held religious beliefs."

Pence cited a 2014 Supreme Court decision, Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, to back up his argument.

That ruling found that federal regulations requiring religious employers to provide their female employees with free access to contraception were unconstitutional.

"Indiana's new law contains no reference to sexual orientation," Pence wrote, adding: "As governor of Indiana, if I were presented a bill that legalized discrimination against any person or group, I would veto it."

Pence has gone on the offensive in the face of opposition from a wide array of social, cultural and business institutions that have accused Indiana of having given business owners license to discriminate against gay people and same-sex couples.

Sunday, Pence told ABC News that the backlash was fueled by "shameless rhetoric about my state and about this law and its intention."

Video Inside

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBZFU8uVIAAlJjE.jpg:large

Captain Obvious
03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Yeah - lol, I didn't realize Clinton signed basically the same law.

exotix
03-31-2015, 08:11 AM
That's a good one ... all of a sudden Clinton is a buddy of conservatism ... LOL

texan
03-31-2015, 08:16 AM

Been posting it since yesterday morning. SAME LAW! The only difference is the politically correct crowd is taking it out of context and trying to generate some press. STUPID!

Today on ESPN Mike and Mike (with a basketball analyst) with the Indiana Basketball coach (to talk about the final 4, Izzo's Brother-in-law) was asked what dialog was going on at the at the university to address the states image.....................Good lord! Of course he just basically ignored the question.

Common
03-31-2015, 08:21 AM
Same law, two different intents. People on the right can cheer this kind of right wing moves but in the end this is another nail in your winning Potus. This may play well in far right circles. The lionshare of the country will viiew this as far right nutsism

PolWatch
03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Obamacare is the reason? Good plan...That will get lots of support because everyone will believe that.

texan
03-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Same law, two different intents. People on the right can cheer this kind of right wing moves but in the end this is another nail in your winning Potus. This may play well in far right circles. The lionshare of the country will viiew this as far right nutsism

INCORRECT! SAME EXACT LAW!!!!! You can't decide peoples intent based on what happened here. The state has repeatedly stated it is the same intent.

This is manufactured Bullshiate.................Who is "you" winning Potus mr. jack wagon? You are the insincere BS'ing person here acting like you are some middle of the american voter. You damn sure don't EVER talk like it, you are hardcore left talking points 24/7, not to mention the left wing sites you travel and comment on regularly. Oh sure you are all for tolerance....

Get a clue pal, the "lionshare" of the country isn't paying jack squat attention to this crap. Nor do they even care!

PolWatch
03-31-2015, 08:40 AM
Please Take Personal Issues to the PM Function

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 08:44 AM
That's a good one ... all of a sudden Clinton is a buddy of conservatism ... LOL

Are you denying that it is already the law of the land, and the Clinton signed that law?

texan
03-31-2015, 08:47 AM
Please Take Personal Issues to the PM Function

Not personal.

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 08:49 AM

Actually NO the entent back then was exactly the same it was about forcing Religious based hospitals to preform abortions.

That to was against their religious beliefs.

If the left actually practiced the tolerance that they preached this would not be an issue, but we have already seen that the GLBT community is willing to sue Religious business owners instead of going somewhere else for their wedding cakes and photos' How long do you think it is before they sue the Catholic Church to force them to preform the Wedding and bless it???

The truth is they want to tear down that community because that community labels their chosen lifestyle as sinful.

And they have hurt feelings over it

exotix
03-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Are you denying that it is already the law of the land, and the Clinton signed that law?
I'm actually going to have to revisit the context of Clintons' law ... I suspect citing precedent from 20 years ago to inflict some twisted version of it into a homophobe law wasn't what was in mind ...

Cigar
03-31-2015, 08:54 AM

I heard that all day yesterday, then Rachel Maddow physically showed the difference between the Indiana law and the other 19 states laws. Amazing what you learn once you know Facts over Talking Points.

But please proceed Caption ... :laugh:

https://dakiniland.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/please-proceed.gif

texan
03-31-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm actually going to have to revisit the context of Clintons' law ... I suspect citing precedent from 20 years ago to inflict some twisted version of it into a homophobe law wasn't what was in mind ...

I love this "intent thing," let me know how that works out for you. The intent of the law is the same as it has the same words. Some small amount of people will always try and twist words around, but that is what courts are for in these cases. There are many anti discrimination laws that protect people as well and if they appear crossed the courts will sort it out. Religion can have their protections from discrimination as well.

This is manufactured outrage and an example of how the politically correct are screwing things up.

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 09:02 AM
I heard that all day yesterday, then Rachel Maddow physically showed the difference between the Indiana law and the other 19 states laws. Amazing what you learn once you know Facts over Talking Points.

But please proceed Caption ... :laugh:

https://dakiniland.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/please-proceed.gif

Forgive me if I don't take what Paul, I mean Rachel Maddow has to say to heart.

She might have an ulterior motive, just saying.

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 09:03 AM
I think that IN might have made a brilliant move. The lost a few fruit cups and the hard left that rely on the welfare system for their very existence, and have endeared themselves to the evangelical Christians that have disposable income and work for a living

Cigar
03-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Forgive me if I don't take what Paul, I mean Rachel Maddow has to say to heart.

She might have an ulterior motive, just saying.

Has Fox News displayed the actual Law? :grin:

That what I like about her, he has guest who were actually in the Administration that drafted the law, you know ... the real Experts :laugh:

nic34
03-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Not personal.

Then explain what a "jack wagon" is....

nic34
03-31-2015, 09:09 AM
I think that IN might have made a brilliant move. The lost a few fruit cups and the hard left that rely on the welfare system for their very existence, and have endeared themselves to the evangelical Christians that have disposable income and work for a living

Can't begin to say what is so deformed about this statement.

exotix
03-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Sounds like a caliphate in progress.

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Has Fox News displayed the actual Law? :grin:

That what I like about her, he has guest who were actually in the Administration that drafted the law, you know ... the real Experts :laugh:

I don't know I am watching sports center.

But lets look at the laws

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/indianas-religious-freedom-restoration-act-explained_900641.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act

It is nothing new it is just the GLBT community is hurt because they want to be accepted and for their chosen lifestyle to not be sinful.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/30/indiana-religious-freedom-law-is-nothing-new-i-helped-write-the-one-clinton-signed/

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 09:33 AM
Sounds like a caliphate in progress.

Yes the liberals are trying to control every aspect of peoples lives, I am glad to see some people standing up against it

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Can't begin to say what is so deformed about this statement.

Yes there are people that are not liberals and understand the constitution. It comes as a surprise to many I know.

They are shocked at the number of House, Senate, and State governments that they have lost as well.

But liberals do not play well with others so they have no clue what the other side is thinking.

exotix
03-31-2015, 09:37 AM
Yes the liberals are trying to control every aspect of peoples lives, I am glad to see some people standing up against it
I'm glad you actually believe the Founding Fathers also called for *Freedom from Religion* ... wisely pointing-out that burning witches at the stake in Salem as the reason.

del
03-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Actually NO the entent back then was exactly the same it was about forcing Religious based hospitals to preform abortions.

That to was against their religious beliefs.

If the left actually practiced the tolerance that they preached this would not be an issue, but we have already seen that the GLBT community is willing to sue Religious business owners instead of going somewhere else for their wedding cakes and photos' How long do you think it is before they sue the Catholic Church to force them to preform the Wedding and bless it???

The truth is they want to tear down that community because that community labels their chosen lifestyle as sinful.

And they have hurt feelings over it

forever

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm glad you actually believe the Founding Fathers also called for *Freedom from Religion* ... wisely pointing-out that burning witches at the stake in Salem as the reason.

I can't find that in the constitution can you post if for me?????

exotix
03-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Happening Now

'I'm Proud of this Law ... religious freedom is our first freedom and the framework of freedom of this Nation'

http://i59.tinypic.com/2m51c88.jpg

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 10:10 AM
forever

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/millionaire-gay-couple-suing-force-church-hold-wedding/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/gay-couple-sue-church-of-england_n_3714609.html?

WOW forever was sure quick!

zelmo1234
03-31-2015, 10:11 AM
Happening Now

'I'm Proud of this Law ... religious freedom is our first freedom and the framework of freedom of this Nation'

http://i59.tinypic.com/2m51c88.jpg

Good for him! Standing by your beliefs is not a bad thing

exotix
03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
'I'm moving legislation that is added to the Law that does not give businesses the right to discriminate'

~ Gov Pence on reaction to the Law

del
03-31-2015, 10:16 AM
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/millionaire-gay-couple-suing-force-church-hold-wedding/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/gay-couple-sue-church-of-england_n_3714609.html?

WOW forever was sure quick!

you do know that a) the united kingdom is a different country form the united states and b) the church of england is a different church from the catholic church, right?

other than those two details, you've certainly proven your point.

lol

exotix
03-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Good for him! Standing by your beliefs is not a bad thing
He simply can not nor will not get over that somebody's religious freedom is infringed and trampled on by gays and minorities ... sad.

exotix
03-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Somebody turn off the nostril mic ... he sounds like he's having a rage fit .... LOL

exotix
03-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Ok, Pence says Obamacare infringed on Indianan's Religious Freedom citing Hobby Lobby & Notre Dame ... as I remember that was abortion ... not gays and minorities ..

exotix
03-31-2015, 12:05 PM
*Breaking*

Indiana Dems in State House calling for full repeal of the law

Common
03-31-2015, 12:11 PM
He simply can not nor will not get over that somebody's religious freedom is infringed and trampled on by gays and minorities ... sad.

In defense of zelmo, he does not flame rant or bait. He does say what he believes and you cant fault a person for that as long as its not over the top like racism and the like.

zelmo who I disagree with constantly is an upfront guy and accepts disagreements like a gentlemen, unlike many on here with similar points of view.

Captain Obvious
03-31-2015, 12:17 PM
*Breaking*

Indiana Dems in State House calling for full repeal of the law

"Repeal of law" - sound familiar?

:biglaugh:

exotix
03-31-2015, 12:19 PM
In defense of zelmo, he does not flame rant or bait. He does say what he believes and you cant fault a person for that as long as its not over the top like racism and the like.

zelmo who I disagree with constantly is an upfront guy and accepts disagreements like a gentlemen, unlike many on here with similar points of view.
Elmo posts in decrepit loon most of the time so I don't know where you came up that ... LOL

texan
03-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Do the dems that voted for it want it repealed now?

Common
03-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Elmo posts in decrepit loon most of the time so I don't know where you came up that ... LOL

I know zelmo before you got here and Ive never considered him a loon. Hes always been a very reasonable guy. I disagree with him on most everything, but we still treat each other like gentlemen.

Common
03-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Do the dems that voted for it want it repealed now?

Relax and read the thread I posted that pence himself is changing the law