PDA

View Full Version : Disgruntled cops say precinct ran arrest-quota ‘board game’

Common
03-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Creating arrest competition is dangerous, it can make for overzealousness that can make for bad situations
There is no defense for this and I thankfully was never subjected to anything like this

Crimefighting in at least one police precinct has been reduced to a petty board game that rewards or punishes officers based on the number of arrests they make each month, according to a group of disgruntled cops.

Despite the NYPD’s denials of a quota system, commanders at a Staten Island’s 122nd Precinct created a “game” that adds and subtracts points from cops who achieved or fell short of arrest and summons goals, said the cops, who are suing the department for discrimination.
“This is just one command,” said Anthony Miranda, chairman of the National Latino Officers Association. “They are assigning points as if they’re playing a game and arresting people in our community.”
Under the rules, as described by cops involved in the lawsuit, a felony arrest earned officers 1.5 points and a misdemeanor arrest earned them a point.
Officers need at least three points a month to earn vacation and overtime and avoid “Sky Watch” duty at one of the department’s mounted street “towers.”

“It creates a competition between the officers, which is illegal,” Miranda said. “It creates a structure where police officers will cross that line. It turns a violation into a misdemeanor and a misdemeanor into a felony, and usually what turns into what could be a discretionary situation into an arrest situation.”

http://nypost.com/2015/03/31/disgruntled-cops-claim-precinct-ran-arrest-quota-board-game/

Blackrook
03-31-2015, 07:13 PM
The private sector demands results, and have similar quotas to encourage performance.

Peter1469
03-31-2015, 07:13 PM
Quotas were big in Louisiana for traffic offenses.

Common
03-31-2015, 07:14 PM
I seriously hope you dont think that those two are even remotely on the same level

Blackrook
03-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Quotas are part of life. If cops don't want to meet quotas, they should find another line of work.

Common
03-31-2015, 07:26 PM
Quotas for traffic is much different than general arrest quotas, that can lead to overzealousness that makes for false arrest besides its against the law to have quota on arrest.
But silly me for responding to your trolling :)

Blackrook
03-31-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm not trolling. I'm simply scoffing at the notion that a cop can sue his department for discrimination because they want him to put down the donut, get out of the car, and do his job.

Common
03-31-2015, 07:33 PM
lol yeah your right youre not trolling. Your thoughts on police are worthless and come from no position of knowledge :) but keep talking lol

Don
03-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Quotas for anything in police work is bad. Traffic control is supposed to be about safety, not revenue enhancement. People lose respect for police when they are nothing but illegal armed taxed collectors. Its not only worse when it comes to real crime, its criminal in itself. Police should refuse to be any part of it and make a stink about it when ordered to do so. I'm sure the police departments can find other ways to insure they don't have police that aren't doing their duty.

Peter1469
03-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Quotas for traffic tend to be for revenue generation. I agree that quotas for real crime is dangerous and puts the general public in danger.

Common
03-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Quotas for anything in police work is bad. Traffic control is supposed to be about safety, not revenue enhancement. People lose respect for police when they are nothing but illegal armed taxed collectors. Its not only worse when it comes to real crime, its criminal in itself. Police should refuse to be any part of it and make a stink about it when ordered to do so. I'm sure the police departments can find other ways to insure they don't have police that aren't doing their duty.

I agree and the cops in this princinct did come out against it and made it public. You can bet there will be commanders removed from their positions and maybe demotions. There will certainly be disciplinary. Only a fool compares police work to private sector or trolls.

Don
03-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Quotas for traffic tend to be for revenue generation. I agree that quotas for real crime is dangerous and puts the general public in danger.

It puts the police in danger too. The cop that pays the price usually isn't the bad one.

Blackrook
03-31-2015, 07:37 PM
lol yeah your right youre not trolling. Your thoughts on police are worthless and come from no position of knowledge :) but keep talking lol
You are taking this way too personally.

It's just an internet forum.

Relax.

Common
03-31-2015, 07:42 PM
Im not taking it personal at all, just pointing out how absolutely wrong you are.

Blackrook
03-31-2015, 07:45 PM
One day we opened our garage and found that a lot of our property was stolen.

We called the cops.

The cop rolled up in his car, we told him about the theft, and his attitude was that he was not going to take a report for the theft of "junk."

He wouldn't even get out of his car.

I took down his badge number, and then he decided he would make a report after all.

Did the police ever find the thief?

Maybe not, but a police report is necessary if you want to report a theft to your insurance company.

So that's my experience with cops.

Common, I'm sorry you got so upset with me for thinking that not all cops are eager to solve crimes and arrest criminals.

Don
03-31-2015, 07:51 PM
One day we opened our garage and found that a lot of our property was stolen.

We called the cops.

The cop rolled up in his car, we told him about the theft, and his attitude was that he was not going to take a report for the theft of "junk."

He wouldn't even get out of his car.

I took down his badge number, and then he decided he would make a report after all.

Did the police ever find the thief?

Maybe not, but a police report is necessary if you want to report a theft to your insurance company.

So that's my experience with cops.

Common, I'm sorry you got so upset with me for thinking that not all cops are eager to solve crimes and arrest criminals.

I think some areas have experimented with having people who work for the police department but aren't regular cops. They investigate traffic accidents and can even give summons but no arrests. They get backup if they need it. They can also take reports for thefts and some burglaries. Frees up the real cops to do what real cops should be doing.

Common
03-31-2015, 07:54 PM
I think some areas have experimented with having people who work for the police department but aren't regular cops. They investigate traffic accidents and can even give summons but no arrests. They get backup if they need it. They can also take reports for thefts and some burglaries. Frees up the real cops to do what real cops should be doing.

The use of special police used to be fairly wide spread in the NorthEast they even carried gun. After many Criminal Defense attorneys attacked the training qualifications for special police all PDs did away with them.

In fla they have citizens watch, you get 16 hrs of training then you get assigned a citzens patrol vehicle they are unarmed and they patrol parking lots and respond to accidents if they are closer than a deputy and call in what they see. They can give summons for like parking in a handicap without a plaquard or double parking.

Don
04-01-2015, 12:24 AM
It doesn't take a cops training to be able to take measurements and investigate a traffic accident. It doesn't take a cops training to take a report for property loss. Actually I think the insurance companies ought to be the ones sending out an investigator to take that report. They could keep a copy for their own claims records, give one to the homeowner as a receipt and send one the the local police in case they ever catch a perp or recover any property.

gamewell45
04-01-2015, 12:29 AM
I'm not trolling. I'm simply scoffing at the notion that a cop can sue his department for discrimination because they want him to put down the donut, get out of the car, and do his job.

Stereotyping again I see.