PDA

View Full Version : Scarole and beans

Common
03-31-2015, 09:26 PM
When I was growing up we at escarole and beans fairly often. Sometimes it would have sausage in it or pork or beef whatever was leftover.

I bought the beans today and im going to soak them tomorrow overnight and thursday ill go buy the escarole fresh and make it.

Mister D
03-31-2015, 09:27 PM
Beans and greens are good but escarole gets a little too mushy for me.

Common
03-31-2015, 09:30 PM
Beans and greens are good but escarole gets a little too mushy for me.

Yes its like spinach in that regard, but anything you have to boil and then simmer is going to get very soft. Theres alot of different ways to make escarole and beans and I wish I knew my grandmothers recipe.

Mister D
03-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Yes its like spinach in that regard, but anything you have to boil and then simmer is going to get very soft. Theres alot of different ways to make escarole and beans and I wish I knew my grandmothers recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

They have a lot of recipes.

Common
03-31-2015, 09:35 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/

They have a lot of recipes.

Ive been there and have used a few of their recipes. I used to subscribe to cooks magazine. They have alot of great cooking tips to help the home cook and they have great home kitchen product reviews , but I found their recipes to be a bit too complex for me. I hate to run around looking for less used spices and ingredients. Up north its alot easier, fla definitely lacks in that dept and many things you just cant find.

Redrose
03-31-2015, 09:36 PM

That was our Tuesday night meal for years. My dad would brown the escarole in olive oil and garlic and then add it to the beans. I've gained weight reading your food posts.

That was a cheap meal but a great one. We didn't eat fancy, and we never went hungry.

Dad would make potato cakes. Mashed potatos, formed into a patty, and dipped in egg and covered twice in Italian bread crumbs, then fried in olive oil. I can still smell them, they were amazing. He called them ponzos.

Mister D
03-31-2015, 09:36 PM
Ive been there and have used a few of their recipes. I used to subscribe to cooks magazine. They have alot of great cooking tips to help the home cook and they have great home kitchen product reviews , but I found their recipes to be a bit too complex for me. I hate to run around looking for less used spices and ingredients. Up north its alot easier, fla definitely lacks in that dept and many things you just cant find.

Tell me about it. I go shopping in LA sometimes and they just don't have the vegetables I'm used to.

Mister D
03-31-2015, 09:37 PM
That was our Tuesday night meal for years. My dad would brown the escarole in olive oil and garlic and then add it to the beans. I've gained weight reading your food posts.

That was a cheap meal but a great one. We didn't eat fancy, and we never went hungry.

Dad would make potato cakes. Mashed potatos, formed into a patty, and dipped in egg and covered twice in Italian bread crumbs, then fried in olive oil. I can still smell them, they were amazing. He called them ponzos.

Most of these recipes are pretty good of you though.

Peter1469
03-31-2015, 09:49 PM
I keep seeing escargot..., that is yummy.

Common
03-31-2015, 09:54 PM

Thats how I make it basically we had it twice a week, peasant food yanno :) I LOVE IT. ill take peasant food over surf and turf any day of the week.

Common
03-31-2015, 09:58 PM
I keep seeing escargot..., that is yummy.

I cant spell it peter but I will describe how its said in italian. Snails are called Bobaloushe in italian.
You cant buy them in the US they come from mediteranean countries in wooden crates packed in seaweed. They must be alive when you cook them, you have to cull the dead ones, between the price and the loss of the dead ones its incredibly expensive now.

You cook them in pasta sauce, and you take a nut pick bang a hole in the back of the shell and suck the snail out. I know lol most people shudder when I say that but hey I had to eat or it I got crowned when I was a kid. YOU ate what was put in front of you or you went to bed hungry with a foot still stuck in your ass. I didnt like that, so i hate everything.

Including goats head gabotzelle goat head halfed, all the hair singed off, took the brains out and fried them with eggs and other stuff, baked the half goats head in the oven rubbed down with olive oil and seaoning.

Common
03-31-2015, 10:36 PM

My grandmother made those same patato patties with left over mashed patatos nothing went to waste and my father did later on ate them with eggs for breakfast too

Dr. Who
03-31-2015, 10:41 PM
I cant spell it peter but I will describe how its said in italian. Snails are called Bobaloushe in italian.
You cant buy them in the US they come from mediteranean countries in wooden crates packed in seaweed. They must be alive when you cook them, you have to cull the dead ones, between the price and the loss of the dead ones its incredibly expensive now.

You cook them in pasta sauce, and you take a nut pick bang a hole in the back of the shell and suck the snail out. I know lol most people shudder when I say that but hey I had to eat or it I got crowned when I was a kid. YOU ate what was put in front of you or you went to bed hungry with a foot still stuck in your ass. I didnt like that, so i hate everything.

Including goats head gabotzelle goat head halfed, all the hair singed off, took the brains out and fried them with eggs and other stuff, baked the half goats head in the oven rubbed down with olive oil and seaoning.
Babbaluci - Sicilian snail. Capozzelli Di Angnelli - Italian lamb's head.

Common
03-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Babbaluci - Sicilian snail. Capozzelli Di Angnelli - Italian lamb's head.

Ah thats it babbaluci pronounced babbaloushe. Capozzellli pronounced Gabotzelle.
Lambs head was for the rich italians, goats head was for the peasants it cost less than half what the lambs heads cost and many times if you did clean up work for the butcher he would give them to you to bring home

Dr. Who
03-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Ah thats it babbaluci pronounced babbaloushe. Capozzellli pronounced Gabotzelle.
Lambs head was for the rich italians, goats head was for the peasants it cost less than half what the lambs heads cost and many times if you did clean up work for the butcher he would give them to you to bring home
Yes. In Italy there are many dialects, so in Sicily, the C in Capozzelli sounds more like a G. Did you know that sometimes the dialects are so extreme that one dialect doesn't understand the other and they have to switch to the national version of the language to communicate with each other? In Sicily many of the endings of words are dropped - like instead of Prosciutto, it becomes Proscuit (Proshoot). There are also altogether unique words not used in other regions. For instance people from Sicily have a hard time understanding people from Calabria. It's like they are speaking two different languages.

Common
03-31-2015, 11:12 PM
Yes. In Italy there are many dialects, so in Sicily, the C in Capozzelli sounds more like a G. Did you know that sometimes the dialects are so extreme that one dialect doesn't understand the other and they have to switch to the national version of the language to communicate with each other? In Sicily many of the endings of words are dropped - like instead of Prosciutto, it becomes Proscuit (Proshoot). There are also altogether unique words not used in other regions. For instance people from Sicily have a hard time understanding people from Calabria. It's like they are speaking two different languages.

My mother was sicilian my father was Foggiana from the province Foggia. Those dialects werent that far apart so they understood each other certain words had differerent meanings or some things had different words to describe them. Northern italians and south have alot of difficulty with dialects.

Redrose
03-31-2015, 11:35 PM
Thats how I make it basically we had it twice a week, peasant food yanno :) I LOVE IT. ill take peasant food over surf and turf any day of the week.

Well, I've never been one to turn my nose up to a lobster, but I do love a bowl of lentils.

Redrose
03-31-2015, 11:44 PM
My grandmother made those same patato patties with left over mashed patatos nothing went to waste and my father did later on ate them with eggs for breakfast too

My dad's father was from Naples and his mom was born in Bari but was raised in Milan where her parents were from. She was stunning, petite, with platinum blond hair and clear blue eyes, fine features. We were all very lucky both of my paternal grandparents had great facial features, nice noses. Her mom was born in Switzerland. My dad cooked many dishes in later years that were more Northern Italian, less red sauce, more creamy sauces, finer, lighter meals.

I liked my ponzo cooked with onions too. When I do make them, I like to brown them a lot, crispy. I love good food.