PDA

View Full Version : From time to time we see threads about a candidate not being "qualified "

donttread
04-04-2015, 08:07 AM
What exactly, in your opinions, "qualifies" someone to be president? I think the technical criteria are to be a born American of at least 35 years of age. We have had lawyers, actors, community organizers, generals, statesmen, ex-military men, senators, governors,hollywood good looks types and God knows what else.
I , being me, would argue that in recent decades the ability to lie, sell your soul and seal backdoor deals with megacorps are a must.
But should we have some true minimum qualifications for the job. Even some fast food chains have minimum qualifications . If so what should those qualifications be?

PolWatch
04-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Good question. I'm going to have to think about this for a while!

Bob
04-04-2015, 08:18 AM
What exactly, in your opinions, "qualifies" someone to be president? I think the technical criteria are to be a born American of at least 35 years of age. We have had lawyers, actors, community organizers, generals, statesmen, ex-military men, senators, governors,hollywood good looks types and God knows what else.
I , being me, would argue that in recent decades the ability to lie, sell your soul and seal backdoor deals with megacorps are a must.
But should we have some true minimum qualifications for the job. Even some fast food chains have minimum qualifications . If so what should those qualifications be?

When the constitution was sealed and accepted, a group of actual experts selected the presidents.

We will find that when the government stuck to that system, all in all the presidents were good presidents. When the system changed, we get the poor presidents.

I say return to the pure electoral college system, end voting by the public for a job they honestly do not understand and this ought to help.

zelmo1234
04-04-2015, 08:19 AM
I think that the answer is no with one possible exception.

If you are seeking the job? You most likely are not qualified for it. :)

zelmo1234
04-04-2015, 08:20 AM
When the constitution was sealed and accepted, a group of actual experts selected the presidents.

We will find that when the government stuck to that system, all in all the presidents were good presidents. When the system changed, we get the poor presidents.

I say return to the pure electoral college system, end voting by the public for a job they honestly do not understand and this ought to help.

No thanks. And the public did always vote, it is just there were some times more than 2 candidates and no one received a majority.

donttread
04-04-2015, 08:26 AM

That would not work in today's corrupt enviroment. How about having at some point been in charge of something with a balanced budget?

PolWatch
04-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Since I'm one of those public school dummies I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that the electoral college was established because the powers that be (at the time) felt the average voter was too ill-informed to actually decide who was elected. The electors were to be the more intelligent citizens who would vote for the best candidate in their opinion....not always the one who won in their areas.

Bob
04-04-2015, 08:41 AM
No thanks. And the public did always vote, it is just there were some times more than 2 candidates and no one received a majority.

The system as established left out the public vote. It was the 1824 election we finally see the public voting for the first time for president.

Bob
04-04-2015, 08:43 AM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1029949#post1029949)

That would not work in today's corrupt enviroment. How about having at some point been in charge of something with a balanced budget?

The public is corrupt.It might reverse the system to get back to good presidents.

Peter1469
04-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Since I'm one of those public school dummies I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that the electoral college was established because the powers that be (at the time) felt the average voter was too ill-informed to actually decide who was elected. The electors were to be the more intelligent citizens who would vote for the best candidate in their opinion....not always the one who won in their areas.

It was a compromise between election of the President by a vote in Congress and election of the President by a popular vote of qualified citizens.

The Sage of Main Street
04-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I need to get this in. In order to qualify to vote, a citizen should also be 35 years old and have at least one American parent.

Chloe
04-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I need to get this in. In order to qualify to vote, a citizen should also be 35 years old and have at least one American parent.

So you are saying that I should have to wait another 14 years to be able to vote????

Bob
04-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Today's voters (even me, so I don't pick only on Democrats) remains far too uninformed.

Why should i or you for that matter be forced by the vote to pick presidents?

The job is that of an executive. I get along fine and don't pick GM president nor for the rest of the system.

I believe I still want to vote for Governor. That is direct vote. That makes more sense. I have little problem keeping up with CA conditions. But i am no expert on all 50 states. I am no foreign policy expert. Why would the least informed pick the president? I frankly get no pleasure of seeing Democrats win the job.

Bob
04-04-2015, 09:08 AM
So you are saying that I should have to wait another 14 years to be able to vote????

Since you make false accusations, for you, it ought to be on a sliding scale. The nearer to maturity, the nearer the vote.

The Sage of Main Street
04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Since I'm one of those public school dummies I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that the electoral college was established because the powers that be (at the time) felt the average voter was too ill-informed to actually decide who was elected. The electors were to be the more intelligent citizens who would vote for the best candidate in their opinion....not always the one who won in their areas. Anyone who gets a vicarious feeling of power by supporting the elitists' "wise guardians" megalomania should be disqualified from voting on the grounds of being an anti-democratic traitor.

Bob
04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
It was a compromise between election of the President by a vote in Congress and election of the President by a popular vote of qualified citizens.

The USA once elected generals. That stopped. We found out the public are lousy pickers of Generals. Even lower grade officers were elected. I am pleased today's officers have a great deal of training.

We now have a terrible president. Stupid people selected him.

Chloe
04-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Since you make false accusations, for you, it ought to be on a sliding scale. The nearer to maturity, the nearer the vote.

donttread
04-04-2015, 09:53 AM

I think that would create even more statitism than we have now, if that is even possible

sachem
04-04-2015, 10:30 AM
They should have to speak English fluently. Whether it is their first, second or twelfth language.

Plus the 35 yr old thing and be an American.