PDA

View Full Version : End of winter

Peter1469
04-04-2015, 04:28 PM
It is around 50 degrees and I decided to open my balcony up to air the place out. The crispness of the air got me thinking chili.

So this is likely the last soup I make until next fall. I used this recipe as a guide but modified it somewhat. (http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-chili-with-kidney-beans-201538)

Most notably with a couple of cayenne peppers that I had laying around. I also added a small amount of beef stock to keep the beef from burning in the dutch oven and to make the chili less thick. Oh and I also have some vine ripe tomatoes that I have cut up and will add in the last part of the operation.

Mister D
04-04-2015, 04:36 PM
I make chilis, soups, and stews all year long.

I use a pepper medley for my chilis. It usually consists of habaneros for the real heat, jalapenos and poblanos for the flavor.

Calypso Jones
04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
that looks good. I love a good pot of chili. I've had to make some changes in mine over the years. I only use kidney beans in chili con carne. I use pintos in chile and lately I've left the beans out entirely. Some people do not believe there should be beans in chili. I personally like that option. So. I serve them on the side with sour cream, shredded cheese, extra hot sauce, and chips.

We're heading back from florida. shrimp, reubens, salads have been on the menu. Now we're headed back to the cold and wet of Virginia. Guess i'll be making chili this week.

oh. by the way. Have you ever made a chili omelet next morning using leftovers?

Peter1469
04-04-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't eat hot soups, stews, etc during the summer. A lot more greens. Probably why I gain 10 pounds during the winter.

Oh, the ab roller- as close to flat as possible now. Half an inch.

PolWatch
04-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Looks good. But I'm still full from lunch. We had grilled oysters on the half shell with garlic toast. Then, I had fried oysters & fried shrimp. Absolutely wonderful! The restaurant has fresh ground horseradish to make your own cocktail sauce....much better than bottled sauce. We won't be able to eat anything fried for a month...husband had oysters & flounder filets...fried.

All fresh, never frozen...I love the Gulf Coast!

To add insult to injury: my first roses opened today

Mister D
04-04-2015, 04:42 PM
that looks good. I love a good pot of chili. I've had to make some changes in mine over the years. I only use kidney beans in chili con carne. I use pintos in chile and lately I've left the beans out entirely. Some people do not believe there should be beans in chili. I personally like that option. So. I serve them on the side with sour cream, shredded cheese, extra hot sauce, and chips.

We're heading back from florida. shrimp, reubens, salads have been on the menu. Now we're headed back to the cold and wet of Virginia. Guess i'll be making chili this week.

oh. by the way. Have you ever made a chili omelet morning using leftovers?

Traditionally, there should be no beans in chili. It's meat in a sauce. I use them because they're good for you and it adds calories and starch I absolutely need.

Mister D
04-04-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't eat hot soups, stews, etc during the summer. A lot more greens. Probably why I gain 10 pounds during the winter.

Oh, the ab roller- as close to flat as possible now. Half an inch.

It's economical and I really do enjoy those recipes so I make them year round.

I'm very impressed with this device.

Mister D
04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Looks good. But I'm still full from lunch. We had grilled oysters on the half shell with garlic toast. Then, I had fried oysters & fried shrimp. Absolutely wonderful! The restaurant has fresh ground horseradish to make your own $#@!tail sauce....much better than bottled sauce. We won't be able to eat anything fried for a month...husband had oysters & flounder filets...fried.

When I visit my brother I always shop for seafood. I eat it to my heart's content while I'm down there.

Peter1469
04-04-2015, 04:48 PM
I have not tried that. Sounds good though.

oh. by the way. Have you ever made a chili omelet next morning using leftovers?

PolWatch
04-04-2015, 04:48 PM
I know that is probably because I grew up on the Gulf but I like the Gulf seafood better than the Atlantic seafood. Of course, the only Atlantic seafood I've tried was in South Carolina so I don't know about the colder areas. I would guess the oysters are better further north...but the SC shrimp are no where near as good as Gulf shrimp!

Peter1469
04-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Looks good. But I'm still full from lunch. We had grilled oysters on the half shell with garlic toast. Then, I had fried oysters & fried shrimp. Absolutely wonderful! The restaurant has fresh ground horseradish to make your own cocktail sauce....much better than bottled sauce. We won't be able to eat anything fried for a month...husband had oysters & flounder filets...fried.

Yes, my seafood has to be fresh.

Peter1469
04-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I know that is probably because I grew up on the Gulf but I like the Gulf seafood better than the Atlantic seafood. Of course, the only Atlantic seafood I've tried was in South Carolina so I don't know about the colder areas. I would guess the oysters are better further north...but the SC shrimp are no where near as good as Gulf shrimp!

Me too. There is no second place to Gulf shrimp. I don't even bother anymore.