PDA

View Full Version : A Fourth of July message from Iranian Americans.

moon
07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
For many Iranian Americans, as we gather with our families to celebrate the Fourth of July, it is a time to reflect on the values that inspired our journey to the United States and to appreciate the rights codified in the Declaration of Independence.

But we are also reminded that those rights can’t be taken for granted.

Apple violated the civil rights of Sahar Sabet, a 19-year old Iranian-American student who was the first to go public with her story about how an Apple employee refused to sell her an iPad because she was speaking Persian.
https://secure3.convio.net/niac/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=217&JServSessionIdr004=luso2ql7l4.app334b

Aye to that. *

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
It's not too late for Iranians to involve themselves in the Arab Spring, then they will have cause to wish good tidings to themselves on their Independence Day.

moon
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
It's not too late for Iranians to involve themselves in the Arab Spring, then they will have cause to wish good tidings to themselves on their Independence Day.

We're actually talking about Americans on Independence Day. * Sharpen up.*

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
We're actually talking about Americans on Independence Day. * Sharpen up.*

Who's "we"?

moon
07-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Who's "we"?

Me and any other interested humanitarians. *Exclude yourself at your leisure.*

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Me and any other interested humanitarians. *Exclude yourself at your leisure.*

Seems that, so far "we" is you and I.

And "we" are talking about the American revolution and the potential new Iranian revolution.

Aside from your inflammatory OP, that is.

moon
07-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Seems that, so far "we" is you and I.

And "we" are talking about the American revolution and the potential new Iranian revolution.

Aside from your inflammatory OP, that is.

Not at all. *' We ' refers to myself and any other interested humanitarian who will follow up on the topic. * *The topic is a message from Americans on the Fourth of July. * You'll come to terms with that according to your capability, I assume.*

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Not at all. *' We ' refers to myself and any other interested humanitarian who will follow up on the topic. * *The topic is a message from Americans on the Fourth of July. * You'll come to terms with that according to your capability, I assume.*

We're actually talking about Americans on Independence Day

I see that fundamental logic eludes you. Unless you have some imaginary friends here, maybe Drop Dead Fred for all I know, so far "we" is you and I.

They have medication for your condition, you may want to consider looking into it.

moon
07-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I guess that the forum name ' Captain Oblivious ' was already taken.

*No, there will be other interested humanitarians along to discuss the topic- *as I said previously. * Can you hold out 'til then ?* * An extended series of off-topic ..er...contributions..would seem to defeat the object of the forum.*

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I guess that the forum name ' Captain Oblivious ' was already taken.

No, there will be other interested humanitarians along to discuss the topic- *as I said previously. * Can you hold out 'til then ?*

Sure, it's a holiday. I have all day.

Just keep pretending that they're here already, then you can be in your happy place until then.

moon
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Sure, it's a holiday. I have all day.

Just keep pretending that they're here already, then you can be in your happy place until then.

Well now, let's test your mettle. * If nobody posts with an humanitarian interest in the topic then I'll start an ' I am a moron ' thread and post in it. * On the other hand, if they do...............
Bet on ?*

Peter1469
07-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Why would Apple refuse to sell to Iranian Americans? Is it more likely this was just a stupid employee?

Order the computer over the internet and save on the sales tax.

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure why I just don't put you on ignore. While I'm currently being patient, I generally have a low tolerance for idiocy.

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Why would Apple refuse to sell to Iranian Americans? Is it more likely this was just a stupid employee?

Order the computer over the internet and save on the sales tax.

Exactly, but that detracts from the spirit of the OP, no?

moon
07-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure why I just don't put you on ignore. While I'm currently being patient, I generally have a low tolerance for idiocy.

Not according to the evidence. * Never mind, your mettle remains untested. *We have a punter with an interest.*

moon
07-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Is it more likely this was just a stupid employee? *

No. *The op cites similar abuses of rights across five states.

Peter1469
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
No. *The op cites similar abuses of rights across five states.

I just find it strange. First the average American couldn't tell the difference between the Persian language or Chinese. Second, Apple employees tend to be crunchy liberals who bend over backwards to not violate any tenant of political correctness.

moon
07-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I just find it strange. First the average American couldn't tell the difference between the Persian language or Chinese. Second, Apple employees tend to be crunchy liberals who bend over backwards to not violate any tenant of political correctness.

It appears that even Apple employees are susceptible to xenophobic paranoia.*

Peter1469
07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
It appears that even Apple employees are susceptible to xenophobic paranoia.*

It doesn't fit the profile of typical Apple employees. They actually think that diversity is a 100% good thing.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry, I don't get this. Why would an employee refuse to sell an ipad or whatever the hell it was to an American-Iranian student??? American Iranian student??? Does that mean she is a citizen here and a student??? If she is a student here and or an American, why does she not speak English?

But she can write this letter in English??? Something ain't right here.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 05:05 PM
On doing further research on this supposedly because of sanctions against Iran, Apple or any employee is restricted in selling any product that they feel may end up in the hands of Iran the country, not a person. In other words if this girl bought this and then shipped it to Iran, the consequences would be severe for Apple. So, looks like her letter to Ubama will fall on deaf ears...maybe he can call her though and they can chat.

Peter1469
07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
http://www.exportcontrol.org/links/1373c.aspx

That makes more sense than Apple giving up a sale over discrimination.

Goldie Locks
07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
http://www.exportcontrol.org/links/1373c.aspx

That makes more sense than Apple giving up a sale over discrimination.

I found the same thing. Guess the OP just wanted to scream BIGOT, RACIST and not look further into the situation.

Trinnity
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I sympathize with the girl's plight. But I have a feeling there's more to this. Perhaps the employee could not understand what she wanted. After all, how many Americans understand Persian?

I think there's more to it, but there are no further details.
<shrug> What can I say. Incomplete info.

Trinnity
07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
I googled her name and found this on BBC news:

The store manager and other employees backed their colleague, Ms Sabet said, showing her a written policy (http://www.apple.com/legal/export.html) that declared: "The US holds complete embargoes against Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria."
The policy states that Apple forbids the export of its products to those countries "without prior authorization by the US Government".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18545003

Read the whole article. It's not very long.
She never did say if the Ipad was for her or if it was being taken back to Iran.

The solicitation moon got is for a letter writing campaign, but it does not give many details. IN FACT, it directly implies the salesman wouldn't sell to her because simply because she was speaking "Persian".

The fact remains that Iran is under an embargo. There are good reasons for that. Apple has a policy that complies with that embargo. She could have bought it online. Geez............this campaign will go NOWHERE.

Peter1469
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
When you buy online there are warnings about not violating the Export Control Act. I am sure people ignore the law.

Captain Obvious
07-04-2012, 05:43 PM
That's kinda what I was posting when this thread suddenly vanished as I hit POST and wound up in orbit.

I did the same thing, googled this gals name and found out that the real story states that Apple has a policy to not sell to citizens of boycotted countries. While this gal is a US citizen, my conclusion is that some dumbfuck employee fucked that rule up.

So yeah, she was discriminated against but I don't buy the schmucky suggestion that Apple broadly discriminates against Iranians. That's a load of horseshit.

moon
07-05-2012, 01:25 AM
**I did the same thing, googled this gals name and found out that the real story states that Apple has a policy to not sell to citizens of boycotted countries. While this gal is a US citizen, my conclusion is that some dumbfuck employee fucked that rule up. *

I'm surprised that you're not squealing ' policy ' and ' terrorism ' like the generally bigoted population. *That's right- *she's American. * *The campaign is to prevent the spread of the moronic behavior exhibited by Apple staff on this occasion.*

moon
07-05-2012, 01:28 AM
I googled her name and found this on BBC news:

Read the whole article. It's not very long.
She never did say if the Ipad was for her or if it was being taken back to Iran.

The solicitation moon got is for a letter writing campaign, but it does not give many details. IN FACT, it directly implies the salesman wouldn't sell to her because simply because she was speaking "Persian".

The fact remains that Iran is under an embargo. There are good reasons for that. Apple has a policy that complies with that embargo. She could have bought it online. Geez............this campaign will go NOWHERE.

You just don't seem to get it. *She's American. * *Buy it online ? * Why ? * So that some Apple zombie doesn't notice the color of her skin or her accent ? * *Geez, the country has lurched to the right and fallen off the edge.*

Trinnity
07-05-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm just saying she could still get it without the hassle....just buy it online. And she never said it wasn't for her uncle to take back to Iran.

I totally understand here being pissed about it.

moon
07-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Some educational reading;

Thoughts of an American Muslim on Independence Day

http://palestinechronicle.com/uploads/1341436470us_muslim_girl_baroud.jpg

By Nihad Awad

As we mark one of history's most triumphant acts of liberty, I want to share with you some of the many things America's Muslims are doing to preserve this fundamental principle of the American identity.

The revolution we honor each year on July 4th was in part sparked by unreasonable government intrusions into individual liberty. In 1761, Boston lawyer James Otis spoke against overly-broad warrants issued by the British government. These Writs of Assistance allowed the crown's agents to search any house or ship they wished, without any specific reason. John Adams -- signer of the Declaration of Independence and our nation''s second president -- said of Otis' speech, "Then and there, the child Independence was born."

http://palestinechronicle.com/view_article_details.php?id=19393

<Removed insults.>