PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson PD emails released

Bo-4
04-05-2015, 11:52 AM
And you can read them all here.. enjoy the bigotry!

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/apr/03/ferguson-releases-racist-emails-read-documents

Safety
04-05-2015, 12:41 PM
I can see why the DOJ found those emails to be disturbing. Some were harmless, others were blatantly racist.

Chris
04-05-2015, 12:53 PM
It's hard to believe people would be emailing anything like that. Do that at most any company and you'd be fired forthwith.

Safety
04-05-2015, 01:00 PM
It's hard to believe people would be emailing anything like that. Do that at most any company and you'd be fired forthwith.

I guess they felt really comfortable with communicating with each other so freely, and didn't expect the events in Ferguson to trigger an investigation. I'm thinking this was a situation of "small town" politics.

Howey
04-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Just look at what some people post on Internet forums and websites.

Chris
04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I guess they felt really comfortable with communicating with each other so freely, and didn't expect the events in Ferguson to trigger an investigation. I'm thinking this was a situation of "small town" politics.

Which means it was systemic, institutional, as I think was decided.

PolWatch
04-05-2015, 01:14 PM
These e-mail were found on the official city equipment. I can't imagine what an atmosphere it would take for city employees to think they were acceptable. If they put this in writing, what did they say?

The entire Ferguson incident was mishandled by everyone that touched it. However, these prove there was a problem that was being ignored. Nothing excuses the lawless behavior of the looters but I can understand the anger of the average citizen.

Bo-4
04-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Chris, i worked in sales for a Fortune 1000 company back in the late 90's through mid 2000's.

There were a couple of my associates that got fired for emails WAY less offensive than these even then, 10-15 years ago!

Chris
04-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Chris, i worked in sales for a Fortune 1000 company back in the late 90's through mid 2000's.

There were a couple of my associates that got fired for emails WAY less offensive than these even then, 10-15 years ago!

Exactly.

Government is a different story.

Bo-4
04-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Exactly.

Government is a different story.

You must be right.

Actually, thinking about all the government workers and pols who've been busted for such nonsense in past few years and were able to keep their jobs?

You ARE right!

Calypso Jones
04-05-2015, 03:59 PM
OH GOOD GRIEF> these are freakin' one liner JOKES!!

what the hell is wrong with you people??

Chris
04-05-2015, 04:04 PM
OH GOOD GRIEF> these are freakin' one liner JOKES!!

what the hell is wrong with you people??

If they were individuals privately emailing friends or family, then it's individual bias. But when government email is used in such a widespread manner with no repercussions as there would be in the private sector, then the bigotry has become institutionalized, and that's not good.

Government is the one place rule of law ought to be adhered to.

Calypso Jones
04-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Bull. ship. Do you think for one minute that jokes like this aren't sent around via fed govt emails. d LOL Is that your only concern....government emails? Gov't time. These are local and state gov't. NOT under the perview of the Feds. Honestly. All the stuff going on now and you guys get your panties in a bunch over a bunch of one liners.

Well there's plenty more where that came from. Are you gonna moan and bicth about the jokes and parodies that homosexuals do? How about black comedians? Chris Rock, Jamie Foxx? What about his joke about Chris Jenner. The Vagina monologues? The crude jokes about the pope? Do you care?

No. Hell no. you don't care. You only get your noses out of joint when it suits your political agenda. You guys are more transparent than you even realize. :wink:

Calypso Jones
04-05-2015, 04:38 PM
If they were individuals privately emailing friends or family, then it's individual bias. But when government email is used in such a widespread manner with no repercussions as there would be in the private sector, then the bigotry has become institutionalized, and that's not good.

Government is the one place rule of law ought to be adhered to.

bull. if someone had access to these emails going to family and friends the same hand wringing would ensue.

honestly.

Here's some funny gov't emails. The Benghazi emails showing Obama and Hillary and the sTate department's bad judgement. Fast and furious. Iran deal? obamacare? These affect your childrens' safety and the safety of the country and you're worried over Ferguson emails. Don't know if you caught it but hands up don't shoot was a lie. Darren Wilson was exonerated.

Chris
04-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Bull. ship. Do you think for one minute that jokes like this aren't sent around via fed govt emails. d LOL Is that your only concern....government emails? Gov't time. These are local and state gov't. NOT under the perview of the Feds. Honestly. All the stuff going on now and you guys get your panties in a bunch over a bunch of one liners.

Well there's plenty more where that came from. Are you gonna moan and bicth about the jokes and parodies that homosexuals do? How about black comedians? Chris Rock, Jamie Foxx? What about his joke about Chris Jenner. The Vagina monologues? The crude jokes about the pope? Do you care?

No. Hell no. you don't care. You only get your noses out of joint when it suits your political agenda. You guys are more transparent than you even realize. :wink:

If they are sent by federal government email it's even worse, more systemic, more institutionalized.

Bull ship...

http://i.snag.gy/5fSfA.jpg

Chris
04-05-2015, 04:41 PM
bull. if someone had access to these emails going to family and friends the same hand wringing would ensue.

honestly.

Here's some funny gov't emails. The Benghazi emails showing Obama and Hillary and the sTate department's bad judgement. Fast and furious. Iran deal? obamacare? These affect your childrens' safety and the safety of the country and you're worried over Ferguson emails. Don't know if you caught it but hands up don't shoot was a lie. Darren Wilson was exonerated.

Disagree and said so earlier, if it was just personal email, it's abhorrent but not systemic, not institutionalized, I wouldn't care or post on it.

Safety
04-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Unless you are saying the government officials in Ferguson were trying out for the Apollo comedy club, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDubya
04-05-2015, 05:09 PM
All this uproar & punishment of the officers involved is going to do, is push any feelings of prejudice, disrespect or general disdain these officers feel for various ethnic groups underground. They will from now on, simply create secret, anonymous email accounts that nobody else outside their little group knows about or can be traced back to them & they'll just continue as before.

And more than likely, all the anti-police protest & hoopla we've seen will probably just fan the flames of their resentment & dislike of these groups even further.

People need to get a few things through their heads. 1.) These cops are human. They don't come out of the Police Academy stripped of all feelings & emotions. 2.) They have a tough & dangerous job dealing with situations in which emotions on all sides run high. 3.) They form their opinions based on what they see & experience everyday. 4.) As long as they work the streets of tough places like Ferguson & see what they see, hear what they hear & get treated like the enemy while they are risking their lives trying to enforce the law, this "bigotry" as it is being called will remain. 5.) If the residents of these places continue to fail to improve their own attitudes towards society, the law & the police, they will continue to be looked down upon by the police.

It's not a one way street here. Just because the cops have the power & the badge does not mean they are somehow super human & will not be affected by their personal experiences on the job. Some may be able to shrug it all off & rise above it all, but no police dept can afford to be picky enough nor are there the psychological assessment tools available, to weed out every less than perfect applicant.

There just aren't enough perfect people in the world & only a tiny percentage of them would choose police work as a profession anyway.

Time to start being realistic & stop it with all the feel good knee jerk, non-solutions.

Safety
04-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I understand what you are trying to say, but I disagree. I understand that cops are human, but to say that what the city officials in Ferguson did is ok because they are human, insults the millions of decent law enforcement officers that do their job without creating an air of impropriety like Ferguson did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDubya
04-05-2015, 07:24 PM
I understand what you are trying to say, but I disagree. I understand that cops are human, but to say that what the city officials in Ferguson did is ok because they are human, insults the millions of decent law enforcement officers that do their job without creating an air of impropriety like Ferguson did.

I'm not saying it's OK, I'm saying it should come as no surprise & that it's not a one-sided affair. Many communities like Ferguson do a lot to bring negatives views of them on themselves. You cannot realistically expect all of these cops to go year in & year out, dealing with all that crap & not become at least a little jaded & cynical.

It's time that the rest of society start holding the residents of these neighborhoods accountable too. Start letting them know that the rest of us expect them to accept their own share of the responsibility for how the police view them. Stop treating them all like innocent victims who've done nothing.

Safety
04-05-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm not saying it's OK, I'm saying it should come as no surprise & that it's not a one-sided affair. Many communities like Ferguson do a lot to bring negatives views of them on themselves. You cannot realistically expect all of these cops to go year in & year out, dealing with all that crap & not become at least a little jaded & cynical.

It's time that the rest of society start holding the residents of these neighborhoods accountable too. Start letting them know that the rest of us expect them to accept their own share of the responsibility for how the police view them. Stop treating them all like innocent victims who've done nothing.

While I agree that more accountability should be held for residents in those neighborhoods, I think the situation in Ferguson is more complicated than thinking the emails were communicated between city officials because of the actions of some in the community.

JDubya
04-05-2015, 08:43 PM
The content of the emails is not the problem, it is the symptom of a larger problem that, as you said, is much more complex than just the behavior of the residents of Ferguson, but that is certainly a significant percentage of it.

Significant enough to not just ignore it & pretend it isn't there.