PDA

View Full Version : Amid Seattle's Affluence, Homelessness Also Flourishes

Captain Obvious
04-08-2015, 11:51 AM
You can just smell the progress...

Here's a great idea - let's just throw some more money at it, that always works.

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/07/398075834/amid-seattles-affluence-homelessness-also-flourishes

Seattle's liberal voters and politicians don't mind spending money on social problems — and there's a lot of money here.

"In a community like ours, we shouldn't have thousands of people that are homeless," says Vince Matulionis, United Way of King County's director of ending homelessness.

All told, under a 10-year plan put together a decade ago by a public-private partnership called the Committee to End Homelessness, roughly $1 billion has gone to the cause.

Leaders of the committee point to an economy that is generating both wealth and poverty in large amounts. More housing has been built for the homeless in Seattle than anywhere except New York or LA. Yet the effort is losing ground.

Polecat
04-08-2015, 12:02 PM
If you build it, they will come.

Mister D
04-08-2015, 12:03 PM
If you build it, they will come.

For some reason that needs to relearned over and over again.

hanger4
04-08-2015, 01:42 PM
A billion dollars, 10 years ?? WTF have they been doing with the money ??

metheron
04-08-2015, 02:54 PM
I fully support their plan.

We could eradicate homelessness in this country by having Seattle house them.

Bo-4
04-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes Captain America. We can all smell your intent here .. can't we? ;-)

You intended to point out that homelessness is a problem especially in the most liberal cities ---> Am I RIGHT Kids?

As one who knows both Portland and Seattle like i do my own dick, i can assure you of a few things and make the following observations:

1) Homelessness is a problem in EVERY major metro area. Talk to Jindal and Scott about their #1 & 2 rankings.

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-u-s-cities-with-a-high-homelessness-rate/greg

2) Yep, both Portland and Seattle (as do ALL big cities) have high homeless pops. Why? I dunno. It's fucking cold and rains all the time.

3) Got something meaningful other than to rag on so called lib-rul cities?

Bet not ;)

hanger4
04-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Yes Captain America. We can all smell your intent here .. can't we? ;-)

You intended to point out that homelessness is a problem especially in the most liberal cities ---> Am I RIGHT Kids?

As one who knows both Portland and Seattle like i do my own dick, i can assure you of a few things and make the following observations:

1) Homelessness is a problem in EVERY major metro area. Talk to Jindal and Scott about their #1 & 2 rankings.

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-u-s-cities-with-a-high-homelessness-rate/greg

2) Yep, both Portland and Seattle (as do ALL big cities) have high homeless pops. Why? I dunno. It's fucking cold and rains all the time.

3) Got something meaningful other than to rag on so called lib-rul cities?

Bet not ;)
Cool, Maybe you could explain what they did with a billion dollars in just 10 short years ??

Mister D
04-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Guys, you have to remember that Bo-4 is the kind of guy who thinks Boise and Portland are bastions of diversity. Apparently, now NPR has it in for liberal cities. Anyway, he didn't read the article.

That's not the case in Seattle, which has seen its ranks of homeless surge over the past decade. More people are now homeless in Seattle than anywhere except New York City, Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

So, Bo, why is that happening? Perhaps rain is the in thing now with bums? Wait...they like the diversity in Seattle? :laugh: