PDA

View Full Version : My Tenants are Back!

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 07:55 AM
I have an artificial gourd birdhouse hanging on one corner of my back porch. This morning, my tenants of the last 2 years have returned and are busy building a new nest for their family. They love the location because its convenient to the hummingbird feeders. These little guys hang on the hummingbird feeders for sips along with the hummers. Last year we watched them hatch 2 clutches before they retired for the season. I think they just got tired. Its a lot of work to feed several baby birds! Now I know the spring migrations have started.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.AMsaW3GRyIMDw%2bJ4t6SU2g&pid=15.1&P=0

Safety
04-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Careful, next they'll be asking for amenities such as central air and running water.

Cigar
04-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Get Help

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzId6GRaOpfecOI3_lZxWCwhXLi60VZ 6Ve5OwxDvzAq1miclPK

Chris
04-10-2015, 08:18 AM
I have a huge extended family of Cardinals hanging around. When I moved in there were two, I fed them, now there's a dozen or more.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 08:21 AM
We have one nest box with Eastern bluebirds and now the Warblers in a gourd. I have gourds, houses, feeders all over the place. organic bug control!

Captain Obvious
04-10-2015, 08:24 AM
We have one nest box with Eastern bluebirds and now the Warblers in a gourd. I have gourds, houses, feeders all over the place. organic bug control!

Bluebirds are fucking obnoxious, they bark worse than dogs.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 08:27 AM
I don't hear the bluebirds around here. We have so many varieties of birds nesting in the area that only the really large, loud ones are heard. Since I live in a swamp, the owls & woodpeckers are usually the loudest. It can get annoying since they scream in shifts. I can attest that birds don't chirp at daylight....they wake up screaming like banshees!

del
04-10-2015, 08:35 AM
I don't hear the bluebirds around here. We have so many varieties of birds nesting in the area that only the really large, loud ones are heard. Since I live in a swamp, the owls & woodpeckers are usually the loudest. It can get annoying since they scream in shifts. I can attest that birds don't chirp at daylight....they wake up screaming like banshees!

Sounding Out the Dawn Chorus The dawn chorus is one of the most conspicuous vocal behaviors of birds, and one of the least understood. Near sunrise, birds often sing more loudly and vigorously than they do at other times of the day. Recent studies have suggested that these intense bouts of song may help male birds exchange information about their social standing. However, because so many birds sing at once, sorting out these vocal interactions has been difficult using traditional techniques such as observation and simple audio recordings.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/studying/birdsongs/chorus/document_view

Captain Obvious
04-10-2015, 08:40 AM

We get occasional owls (terrifyingly huge ones) and woodpeckers but not tons of them, just enough to hear some noise in the distance.

Bluebirds are really aggressive, we get one every now and then and it just perches on the deck and screams at the other birds at the feeder, scaring them away. My wife chases them off with a broom.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 08:43 AM
We have a pair of red tailed hawks that are nesting in the woods behind our house. I have to watch our dogs in the yard because the hawks are large enough to carry off a small dog. The owls are huge too. I have seen the owls carry off a grown rabbit that had to weigh at least 5 lbs. btw: rabbits scream and it will scare you (or me anyway) half to death if you don't know what you are hearing.

GrassrootsConservative
04-10-2015, 09:20 AM
I have an artificial gourd birdhouse hanging on one corner of my back porch. This morning, my tenants of the last 2 years have returned and are busy building a new nest for their family. They love the location because its convenient to the hummingbird feeders. These little guys hang on the hummingbird feeders for sips along with the hummers. Last year we watched them hatch 2 clutches before they retired for the season. I think they just got tired. Its a lot of work to feed several baby birds! Now I know the spring migrations have started.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.AMsaW3GRyIMDw%2bJ4t6SU2g&pid=15.1&P=0

I think that's a goldfinch.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 09:27 AM
How to tell a finch from a warbler:

It shouldn’t be confused with the yellow warbler, though. The differences between these two birds are greater than the similarities. What’s more, the differences are important clues to identifying other birds. - See more at: http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/event/article/id/266112/publisher_ID/40/#sthash.HEEfQvvE.dpuf

del
04-10-2015, 09:28 AM
screaming rabbits would be a good name for a band

Captain Obvious
04-10-2015, 09:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCCZAPN3KQ

Archer0915
04-10-2015, 10:40 AM
How do I get rid of the vultures?

Peter1469
04-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Shoot them.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 11:17 AM
How do I get rid of the vultures?

do a better job of burying the bodies?

Captain Obvious
04-10-2015, 11:34 AM

lol - I was going to say "get the dead bodies out of your garage" but decided it wasn't that funny.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 11:36 AM
some posts just scream for a wize-crack.....I'm weak

Archer0915
04-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Shoot them.

Illegal! Tried to get a special permit but... Not happening. Oh the illegals can take the deer population to zero but let me shoot birds that are becoming a traffic hazard and I go to jail, get fined, perhaps prison...

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 11:41 AM
If its on private property, try a live animal trap. If a public road, go to the city commission, etc and ask for increased pick up of road kill.

Archer0915
04-10-2015, 11:44 AM

I do! Anything in my area of influence is deep!

Road kill is the issue. I have had to stop my bike and allow the big bastards time to get in the air. I have hit two (one with the car and one with the van) and I can tell you those things can do more damage than a freaking dog.

A large bird, it has a wingspan of 160–183 cm (63–72 in), a length of 62–81 cm (24–32 in), and weight of 0.8 to 2.3 kg (1.8 to 5.1 lb).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_vulture

Hit one of these things at 40MPH... Bad day.

Archer0915
04-10-2015, 11:46 AM
If its on private property, try a live animal trap. If a public road, go to the city commission, etc and ask for increased pick up of road kill.

Part of the issue is the people down the road with the damn chickens! Illegals probably! They let their dogs roam (I have run two over) and their Chickens are a threat as well (run many over). They have dead crap on the road most of the year.

PolWatch
04-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Sounds like you have a mess on your hands. If your country officials don't want to do anything, you are stuck. Maybe the Wildlife depart could become involved? Report your neighbors for baiting the vultures to the area? A local news station might be interested in the country allowing road kill to accumulate on public roads.

Peter1469
04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Get an air powered rifle - no noise.

Archer0915
04-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Get an air powered rifle - no noise.

Still trying to get a permit. I do not make efforts to force confrontations with authorities.