PDA

View Full Version : Dem's Blow Up Mitch McConnell’s Agenda By Demanding Votes On Popular Liberal Issues

Cigar
04-10-2015, 01:59 PM
http://mx3.politicususa.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/senate-democrats-485x343.jpg

Nine Senate Democrats are blowing up Mitch McConnell’s Senate agenda by demanding votes on four popular liberal issues.

In a letter to McConnell, nine Senate Democrats (Sens. Durbin, Murray, Wyden, Shaheen, Brown, Schumer, Casey, Schatz, Franken) called for votes on liberal issued that were popular during the Senate’s budget vote-a-rama:

As you know, amendments to the budget that are voted on during vote-a-rama do not have the force of law. However, a bipartisan majority vote on an amendment can be an important mark of whether or not a certain policy can pass the Senate with a 60 vote affirmative threshold. Too often, the budget vote-a-rama is characterized as a partisan exercise that leaves no lasting policy impact. Working with you, we hope to make this Budget vote-a-rama different. While we strongly oppose the underlying Senate Republican budget and the negative impacts it would have on middle-class and working families, we believe the following four amendments represent policies that deserve a vote in this Congress.

Paid Sick Leave (passed 61-39) – Amendment No. 798 to improve workplace benefits and reduce health care costs, which may include measures to allow Americans to earn paid sick time to address their own health needs and the health needs of their families, and to promote equal employment opportunities.

Ending Discrimination Against Pregnant Workers (passed 100-0) – Amendment No. 632 to increase employment opportunities and prevent employment discrimination, which may include measures to prevent employment discrimination against pregnant workers, to provide pregnant workers with a right to workplace accommodations, and to ensure that employers comply with requirements regarding such workplace accommodations for pregnant workers.

Equal Access to Benefits for Same-Sex Couples (passed 57-43) – Amendment No. 1063 to ensuring all legally married same-sex spouses have equal access to the Social Security and veterans benefits they have earned and receive equal treatment under the law pursuant to the Constitution of the United States.

Middle-Class Tax Cuts (passed 73-27) – Amendment No. 968 to enacting middle class tax relief, including extending and expanding refundable tax credits, such as tax provisions and policies included in legislation like the Working Families Tax Relief Act, American Opportunity Tax Credit Permanence and Consolidation Act, Helping Working Families Afford Child Care Act, or the 21st Century Worker Tax Cut Act.

Each of the issues that the Democrats listed have proven their popularity in the Senate. Three of the four have already met the 60 vote threshold for passage.

Issues like an end to discrimination against pregnant workers, paid sick leave, and middle-class tax cuts would be huge for the majority of the country. Equal access to benefits for same-sex couples would also be big, but if the budget votes are a guide, that issue might come up a vote or three short of passage.

Senate Democrats are aggressively seizing the agenda, and push Mitch McConnell’s dream of a Koch driven Senate off to the side. Democrats know that McConnell is getting desperate to pass legislation, and they are taking advantage of the Majority Leader’s flailing by offering up several issues that would pass if legislation were brought to the floor for a vote.

The letter to McConnell is more proof that Republicans may hold the Senate majority, but it’s Democrats who are driving the agenda.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/04/10/senate-democrats-blow-mitch-mcconnells-agenda-demanding-votes-popular-liberal-issues.html

:grin:

Matty
04-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Mitch should hold the votes as quickly as Reed did. Karma ain't it something?

Cigar
04-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Mitch should hold the votes as quickly as Reed did. Karma ain't it something?

I'm all for Making Eric Holder hang around and stick it long and deep to the Republicans :grin:

hanger4
04-10-2015, 02:50 PM
I see P-Tic-Usa has still got the hypocrites disease called Koch Derangement Syndrome. Tell me something Cigar do you just naturally gravitate toward these gutter dwelling sites or do you intentionally seek out this trash ??

Cigar
04-10-2015, 02:53 PM
I see P-Tic-Usa has still got the hypocrites disease called Koch Derangement Syndrome. Tell me something @Cigar (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=294) do just naturally gravitate toward these gutter dwelling sites or do you intentionally seek out this trash ??

Just to Fuck with You Pop's :laugh:

Matty
04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Eric should do all the damage he can while he can.

hanger4
04-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Just to Fuck with You Pop's :laugh:
So be it kid.

Don't forget wash the stink off your hands.

Howey
04-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I see P-Tic-Usa has still got the hypocrites disease called Koch Derangement Syndrome. Tell me something Cigar do you just naturally gravitate toward these gutter dwelling sites or do you intentionally seek out this trash ??

See....here's the difference. Whereas teabagger's rag du jour's such as Rush, Drudge, and the ever non-popular Townhall (is there any staff left there?), my friend Janie at PoliticsUSA only uses grade A, certifiable sources.

Such as this one, from where the story came from:

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/after-budget-votes-democrats-push-paid-sick-leave-middle-class-tax-credits-federal-benefits-for-gay-couples/?dcz=

Peter1469
04-10-2015, 03:15 PM
See....here's the difference. Whereas teabagger's rag du jour's such as Rush, Drudge, and the ever non-popular Townhall (is there any staff left there?), my friend Janie at PoliticsUSA only uses grade A, certifiable sources.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/after-budget-votes-democrats-push-paid-sick-leave-middle-class-tax-credits-federal-benefits-for-gay-couples/?dcz=

That web site is trash.

hanger4
04-10-2015, 03:25 PM

And look what Jason Easley of P-Tic-Usa left out of the story he lifted off RollCalls site;

“While they left out a lot of amendments that passed with bipartisan support (such as Sen. Fischer’s equal pay amendment, Sen. McConnell’s EPA amendment, Sen. Barrasso’s on Waters of the U.S., and the Blunt amendment blocking an energy tax), I’m sure that was just an oversight,” Stewart said in a statement. “Despite not bringing many of these issues to the floor when they were in the majority, under the new Congress’ return to regular order, Senators of both parties now have the opportunity to work with the appropriate committee chairmen to report bipartisan legislation that complies with the budget.”

Changes the whole crux of the story he stole. Like I said P-Tic is a gutter site.

hanger4
04-10-2015, 03:39 PM
BTW Howey this Jason Easley didn't even cite his source.

Ain't there a word for that ??