PDA

View Full Version : Chuckle

Matty
04-11-2015, 06:20 PM
We went to the SRS bike races this afternoon :) met a man from New York. He asked me the best place to go to get a Groper sandwich. :) I just love Yankee talk. I think he meant grouper I hope he meant grouper. Anyway I sent him to the Capt's Table. The guy who owns this restaurant own his own boat. Fish is fresh.

Bob
04-11-2015, 06:23 PM
We went to the SRS bike races this afternoon :) met a man from New York. He asked me the best place to go to get a Groper sandwich. :) I just love Yankee talk. I think he meant grouper I hope he meant grouper. Anyway I sent him to the Capt's Table. The guy who owns this restaurant own his own boat. Fish is fresh.

What state is this? I should know but danged if I do.

One of my favorite fish to eat is the Iceland rock cod. So goood.

Matty
04-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Fla.

PolWatch
04-11-2015, 06:39 PM
I hope you didn't let him get too close....he might have been looking for a special sandwich for people who grope! Spring Break...ya never know.....

Matty
04-11-2015, 06:46 PM
I hope you didn't let him get too close....he might have been looking for a special sandwich for people who grope! Spring Break...ya never know.....

He was much too young!

PolWatch
04-11-2015, 06:49 PM
ya never can tell! :wink:

Common
04-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Many restaurants push off cod as grouper <groper> Grouper is ridiculous priced

Peter1469
04-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks for coming back Matty. I won't forget why you did.

Chris
04-11-2015, 07:04 PM

Worse, he's a Yankee.

Safety
04-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks for coming back Matty. I won't forget why you did.

Because I asked her nicely?

Matty
04-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Many restaurants push off cod as grouper <groper> Grouper is ridiculous priced

They caught restaurants doing that here. Laws passed. Stiff penalties if caught.

Peter1469
04-11-2015, 07:07 PM
No. A troll was making baseless accusations against me and Matty shut him down.

Common
04-11-2015, 07:10 PM
They caught restaurants doing that here. Laws passed. Stiff penalties if caught.

The still do it here and its not hard to identify it if youve eaten both grouper and cod. I buy grouper off a local fisherman who catchs them brings them in sets up a cooler and big umbrella to keep out of the sun and sells them for 6 bucks a lb, sometimes he sold out before he can set out the beach chair and umbrella.

sachem
04-11-2015, 07:15 PM
No. A troll was making baseless accusations against me and Matty shut him down.Peter. http://downloadpolitics.com/images/smilies/shakehead.gif

We have trolls?

That was nice of her.

PolWatch
04-11-2015, 07:28 PM
I have always heard that some restaurants sell shark cut into circles as scallops. I have seen scallops for sale in a local market and they don't look as consistently sized/shaped as some I have eaten in a restaurant.

Matty
04-11-2015, 07:39 PM
I have always heard that some restaurants sell shark cut into circles as scallops. I have seen scallops for sale in a local market and they don't look as consistently sized/shaped as some I have eaten in a restaurant.

Real scallops are smallish. Very rich with a sweet taste.

Peter1469
04-11-2015, 07:41 PM

I love shark- great fish. A good scallop is heaven though.

PolWatch
04-11-2015, 07:41 PM
The ones I had in a restaurant were about 1-2" across. Those in the market were smaller. They were tasty so I guess I like shark!

sachem
04-11-2015, 07:42 PM
I love scallops.

Matty
04-11-2015, 07:45 PM
In my younger days we used to scallop off shell island. Just swam along slowly with a mask and snorkel. The scallops would lay up in the grass beds. They will spit water at you too.

PolWatch
04-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I've never tried that. We used to wade the grass beds in Mobile Bay for soft shells. They don't spit!

Peter1469
04-11-2015, 07:49 PM
You can mistake shark for scallops. But I like them both.

Dr. Who
04-11-2015, 09:20 PM
There are giant scallops - they are from the western Atlantic, but they are generally very pricey and the texture is nothing like shark.

Common
04-11-2015, 11:20 PM

Easy to identify bogus scallups Pol, when they use shark or other fish they stamp out the scallops, they basically look all the same and are the same size. Scallops are all different sizes some have rough edges shark scallops are whiter than real scallops.

Common
04-11-2015, 11:20 PM
There are giant scallops - they are from the western Atlantic, but they are generally very pricey and the texture is nothing like shark.

Shark is much firmer than real scallops and the taste is much blander

Common
04-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Real scallops are smallish. Very rich with a sweet taste.

No thats not correct, bay scallops are small, sea scallops are much much bigger far more expensive and taste far better.

Dr. Who
04-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Shark is much firmer than real scallops and the taste is much blander
It would have to be - it's a fish rather than a mollusk. I don't see how they can substitute one for the other.

Common
04-11-2015, 11:30 PM
It would have to be - it's a fish rather than a mollusk. I don't see how they can substitute one for the other.

They do it all the time, I was in publix not too long ago and I told the fish manager he was selling shark for scallops. He laughed and said no way and I told him to look at whats in his case defrosted
Then I said come look at what you sell frozen. I said look the difference is night and day, scallop size varies greatly. He looked at me seriously then and said I have to look into this.

Redrose
04-11-2015, 11:32 PM

They used to do that in NY too. They would press scallop shapes out of pollock. I usually could tell, scallops are a bit chewier.

Common
04-11-2015, 11:35 PM
They used to do that in NY too. They would press scallop shapes out of pollock. I usually could tell, scallops are a bit chewier.

yep pollock is a soft fish whereas when they stamp out shark scallops its tougher. Oh just for info if your scallops are chewey they have been overcooked

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 03:42 AM
yep pollock is a soft fish whereas when they stamp out shark scallops its tougher. Oh just for info if your scallops are chewey they have been overcooked

Yes, a chewy scallop is a wasted scallop!

Redrose
04-12-2015, 03:47 AM

Artificial crab meat is often pollock or other fish.

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 03:50 AM

But that is shredded and harder to tell by sight. Scallops are very different looking than fish. And taste different. I suspect that if anyone gets shark scallops and doesn't know- don't know what scallops taste like.

sachem
04-12-2015, 05:20 AM
I learned that Sea Scallops are the bigger ones. Bay Scallops are the smaller ones.

Common
04-12-2015, 07:09 AM

Yes they overcook the pollock to give it some density, pollock cooked properly is soft and even breaded and fried will fall apart.

Dr. Who
04-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Also a bad substitute.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 12:04 PM
A friend's father asked her what that pink stuff was one day in the store. She told him it was artificial crab meat. He scratched his head a minute and then said "Honey, you are either a crab or you ain't a crab". I think that sums it well. Anyone who thinks that stuff tastes like crab has not eaten crab!