PDA

View Full Version : China Doesn’t Have a Plan

Mister D
08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Good article.

Vice President Biden’s trip to China would have been as forgettable as most high-level U.S.-China dialogues were it not for the Beijing Brawl and the Press-Conference Pusher, which revealed the biggest challenge we face in dealing with China: its attitude. When the People’s Liberation Army basketball team started stomping on Georgetown University players after what even a casual fan could see was the most biased officiating since Roy Jones Jr. was robbed of a gold medal in boxing at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, the imperative for the Chinese to humble their visitors was evident. Just as egregiously, Chinese security officials started physically shoving foreign reporters and then White House and U.S. Embassy staff out of the conference room where Biden was giving his prepared — and hence expected — remarks along with Xi Jinping, the putative next leader of China.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/275284/china-doesn-t-have-plan-michael-auslin

Conley
08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
What?? They were shoving US officials? This is nuts...I had not heard any of this.

Conley
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
China has also made a huge mistake by tying their economy so closely to ours. I mean that's fine if they want to get along with us, but if we're going to be enemies at their choosing then they would have been better served by not buying all those treasury notes and establishing such a huge trade relationship. Without US demand for their goods and if we stop paying them on the T-Bills they'll be screwed. Of course we would be too but it's not a sound strategy unless they want to play ball.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
China has also made a huge mistake by tying their economy so closely to ours. I mean that's fine if they want to get along with us, but if we're going to be enemies at their choosing then they would have been better served by not buying all those treasury notes and establishing such a huge trade relationship. Without US demand for their goods and if we stop paying them on the T-Bills they'll be screwed. Of course we would be too but it's not a sound strategy unless they want to play ball.

I agree. In the end, China is as dependent on us as we are on them. They just don't seem to know how to behave diplomatically.

Conley
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM

I agree. In the end, China is as dependent on us as we are on them. They just don't seem to know how to behave diplomatically.

Do you think it's an inferiority complex? Or having been shut off from the rest of the world for so long? It's bizarre behavior.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Do you think it's an inferiority complex? Or having been shut off from the rest of the world for so long? It's bizarre behavior.

Both, IMO. I think the weakness of China has played on the mentality of her leaders and even on that of the general population. At the same time, they have an inflated sense of pride. No surprise bizarre behavior results.

MMC
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM

Both, IMO. I think the weakness of China has played on the mentality of her leaders and even on that of the general population. At the same time, they have an inflated sense of pride. No surprise bizarre behavior results.

Yeah plus the numbers to back it up.....

Mister D
08-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Yeah plus the numbers to back it up.....

I've read that China may get old before it gets rich. The supply of cheap labor is drying up fast.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 02:40 PM
China is already rich.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
China is already rich.

No, China is not rich.

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 05:44 PM
China is already rich.

No, China is not rich.

The combined wealth of China is massive. Where do you get this from?

Pendragon
08-24-2011, 05:46 PM
China has moved from #7 to #2 in wealth.

In its first Global Wealth Report, Credit Suisse predicts that total household wealth in China could more than double to $35 trillion by 2015 from $16.5 trillion at the moment. China currently is third in terms of the total share of global wealth after the U.S. and Japan, at $54.6 trillion and $21 trillion respectively, and is 35% ahead of France, the wealthiest European country.

A decade ago, China stood at seventh place in the global share of wealth. In the same period, Japan’s wealth only rose by 5%, largely because its adult population growth grew at a negligible 3% while equities and house prices have stagnated.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/10/08/china-to-overtake-japan-in-global-wealth-rankings/

Just because it's not in the National Review doesn't mean it is not factual.

Conley
08-24-2011, 05:47 PM
China is already rich.

No, China is not rich.

It's probably an issue of per-capita.

Mister D
08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
China is already rich.

No, China is not rich.

You obviously have no idea what it means when someone refers to a rich country or the rich world. China is a developing country and does not make it into the top 40 of any index measuring standards of living, quality of life, human development etc.