PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Candidate

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:05 PM
I see a lot of talking about what this candidate lacks or that candidate has. What would it take to make an ideal candidate for YOU to support 100%. Not as a best of 2 evils choice.

No party trashing allowed. Anyone dragging the same old tired dumb names or party trashing insults will be laughed at by all as someone who can't read.

What experience, traits, platform do YOU want to support?

Polecat
04-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Completely independent with no affiliations past or present. That would be a place to start.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Jon Huntsman is my idea of the ideal candidate. Honest, straightforward. Successfully governed a state, showing strong domestic policy experience, and also a successful and highly regarded diplomat, showing foreign policy experience. He was a Republican, but not a Republican partisan.

As long as they aren't 100% different on the issues than I am, I'd happily vote for someone that was only 20% with me if they had the qualities above.

However, I will say that I am a bit of a single-issue voter. Huntsman I liked because he had a rational foreign policy that put a strong focus on diplomacy. I won't vote for a candidate that doesn't have that kind of foreign policy.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:13 PM
The board in the platform I would like to see is to agree to quit trying to make all personal choice issues a matter of government involvement. This would include things like the War on Drugs, Marriage & reproductive issues should be matters left up to adults without government interference.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPb-5AZuzXo

Seriously, I loved this guy. He was my back-up plan if Ron Paul lost.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:21 PM
I would like to see someone with foreign policy experience....who doesn't think invasion is diplomacy and has no desire to finance anymore spreading of democracy.

I think our foreign aid programs need to be looked at. If a country is harboring or aiding terrorists, no American $$. We don't need to finance anymore despots only to go in 5 or 10 years to overthrow them.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:23 PM
I would like to see someone with foreign policy experience....who doesn't think invasion is diplomacy and has no desire to finance anymore spreading of democracy.

I think our foreign aid programs need to be looked at. If a country is harboring or aiding terrorists, no American $$. We don't need to finance anymore despots only to go in 5 or 10 years to overthrow them.

A perfect illustration of the insanity of our foreign aid programs is that we give money to the Israelis AND the Palestinians.

Polecat
04-12-2015, 03:26 PM
You can't give money to despots. They will spend it on anything but relief for their countrymen

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Someone like Elizabeth Warren in terms of fighting the banks.

Someone like Rand Paul around our racist sentencing laws.

Someone who (as PolWatch mentioned earlier) keeps personal choices out of govt - drugs, pregnancy, who you marry, what you do in your bedroom, etc - govt. should be about controlling business, not about controlling what we do in private.

Not sure who on foreign policy; I'd have to look in to Huntsman to see if he's sane about it.

A progressive who, as the slogan goes, "puts main street before wall street".

Has to be pro environment.

Oh - I know he gets beaten up (and rightfully in many cases) - but someone like John Edwards fighting for the poor. We need a strong safety net.

Those are some thoughts off the top of my head.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:29 PM
You also can't support both sides in a conflict.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Someone who (as PolWatch mentioned earlier) keeps personal choices out of govt - drugs, pregnancy, who you marry, what you do in your bedroom, etc - govt. should be about controlling business, not about controlling what we do in private.

Not sure who on foreign policy; I'd have to look in to Huntsman to see if he's sane about it.

Oh - I know he gets beaten up (and rightfully in many cases) - but someone like John Edwards fighting for the poor. We need a strong safety net.

Policy-wise John Edwards wasn't half bad.

It's the fact that he's a total asshole that gets in the way :tongue:

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:33 PM

It's the fact that he's a total asshole that gets in the way :tongue:

he sure proved to a great big mess! I was disappointed because he started out to be a reasonable candidate.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Who would provide us with good fiscal policies? I have not heard a lot of plans or proposals for any possible candidates.....educate me

Ethereal
04-12-2015, 03:35 PM
If someone can figure out a way to bring back Thomas Jefferson from the dead...

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:35 PM
If someone can figure out a way to bring back Thomas Jefferson from the dead...

nope...his racial polices would defeat him....:wink:

Matty
04-12-2015, 03:36 PM

I noticed you left out healthcare in your personal choices. Does a person who says they want personal choices really mean it when they back government mandates?

Matty
04-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Rubio is going to announce on Monday. That is my favorite candidate.

PattyHill

It's the fact that he's a total $#@! that gets in the way :tongue:

yeah... sadly, I had already voted for him on my absentee ballot before he "decided" to drop out of the race. Wasted that vote! (yeah, I could have gotten a new ballot, wasn't worth it)

Ethereal

Nobody's perfect... :grin:

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 03:39 PM
I noticed you left out healthcare in your personal choices. Does a person who says they want personal choices really mean it when they back government mandates?

Yes. Health care for our citizens protects all of us from disease and from the expense of the ER and is just the right thing to do.

I would have preferred single payer - "medicare for all" over the ACA, but I'll take the ACA.

As a California resident, I am mandated to pay into our short-term disability fund, whether or not I'll ever use it. I think it's a great idea; I hope I never need it, but I'm glad it's there.

I'm mandated to pay into social security too. No problem with that either.

I guess I left out health care because I figure that's a done deal; ACA is here to day, and no one is going to get single payer through successfully, sadly.

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Who would provide us with good fiscal policies? I have not heard a lot of plans or proposals for any possible candidates.....educate me

Bill Clinton did pretty good....

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:40 PM

I don't think Thomas Jefferson living in 2015 would be the same as Thomas Jefferson living in the late 1700s, honestly.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Who backs government mandates? I have always said that I think it needs massive changes. We need low cost healthcare for every American. I'm not in favor of forcing this on anyone. However, if they opt out, they are responsible for their own bills. No free rides.

Peter1469
Single payer will be a worse disaster in the US than it is in the UK.

Green Arrow

I'd say a combination between Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul would make for good fiscal policies.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:42 PM

I don't think so, if we implemented it on a community level.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Bill Clinton did pretty good....

He had the dot com flush but he did do well overall....but it was also with Ole Newt's contract with America. The welfare reform law was a good example of bi-partisan problem solving. Its a thing of the past now.

I don't like the NAFTA program that he signed....but that was mainly written by GHW Bush....but Clinton signed it into law. That started the rush of jobs overseas. We need to have that mess undone!

Matty
04-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Yes. Health care for our citizens protects all of us from disease and from the expense of the ER and is just the right thing to do.

I would have preferred single payer - "medicare for all" over the ACA, but I'll take the ACA.

As a California resident, I am mandated to pay into our short-term disability fund, whether or not I'll ever use it. I think it's a great idea; I hope I never need it, but I'm glad it's there.

I'm mandated to pay into social security too. No problem with that either.

I guess I left out health care because I figure that's a done deal; ACA is here to day, and no one is going to get single payer through successfully, sadly.

So you you really do not mean it when you say you want government out of personal choice!

Chris
04-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Goldwater, Robert Taft, Coolidge.

Matty
04-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't think so, if we implemented it on a community level.

Therre aren't enough taxpayers to fund it. You need tax reform first.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I think Canada's health insurance is successful.

Matty
04-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Who backs government mandates? I have always said that I think it needs massive changes. We need low cost healthcare for every American. I'm not in favor of forcing this on anyone. However, if they opt out, they are responsible for their own bills. No free rides.

Good. Then you have written your representatives in congress to kill the mandates right?

Green Arrow
Therre aren't enough taxpayers to fund it. You need tax reform first.

I don't disagree with that.

Peter1469
I think Canada's health insurance is successful.

I hear that it is.

The UK's system is a disaster.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Good. Then you have written your representatives in congress to kill the mandates right?

We are talking about an imaginary candidate...and its not me. Why do you have to try and start a fight? Why not just say your ideal candidate would kill the mandates?

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:54 PM
To sum up my position, the ideal politician would be a combination of Robert Taft (1889-1953), Ron Paul (1935-Present), Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), Jon Huntsman (1960-Present), William Howard Taft (1857-1930), Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), George Washington (1732-1799), Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), and Andrew Jackson (1767-1845).

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 03:56 PM
hmm...I'd say I would vote for a cross between Bill Clinton & Barry Goldwater....if I could pick which traits my hybrid would have!

Polecat
04-12-2015, 03:57 PM
I hear that it is.

I think Canada covers dental care, the UK apparently does not.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Oh, and Barry Goldwater. Bill Clinton would be unnecessary in my line-up, his good policies are already represented in there.

Matty
04-12-2015, 04:14 PM
We are talking about an imaginary candidate...and its not me. Why do you have to try and start a fight? Why not just say your ideal candidate would kill the mandates?

Why do you think I am starting a fight? It was a yes or no question in response to your question/ statement. I can stop discussing politics with you if you insist on saying I am starting a fight! What a cheap shot.

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't think Thomas Jefferson living in 2015 would be the same as Thomas Jefferson living in the late 1700s, honestly.

Right. America is a super power now. I think that the Founders would behave much differently with the US today.

GrassrootsConservative
04-12-2015, 04:22 PM
http://www.ronpaul16.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ron-paul-20161.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pQDHlv9.jpg

GrassrootsConservative
04-12-2015, 04:24 PM
I also recognize a snowball has a better chance at living 30,000 years in orbit around the sun than he has a chance of being elected here in Nu America.

Dr. Who
04-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I hear that it is.

The UK's system is National, centrally administered, the Canadian system is administered by the Provinces.

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 04:28 PM
The UK's system is National, centrally administered, the Canadian system is administered by the Provinces.

Canada understands federalism better than the US does.

GrassrootsConservative
04-12-2015, 04:32 PM

Kind of a low bar, these days, to know something better than the US? Our country is comprised of total morons. I know that because I don't even think I'm that smart, but I meet people objectively less smart than me on a daily basis.

Dr. Who
04-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Perhaps it's more the fact that big business has more of a stranglehold on American politics.

GrassrootsConservative
04-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Perhaps it's more the fact that big business has more of a stranglehold on American politics.

:killme: Fuck it. I'm going longboarding.

Big business isn't the one taking your money and freedoms and spying on you and sending our youth to war and shooting black kids and aborting even younger blacks. Just saying. Everybody have a good evening.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Our system is set up to benefit the insurance companies. If any citizens benefit, that's just a happy surprise.

Matty
04-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Democrats and the Insurance companies! What a team.

Dr. Who
04-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Big business isn't the one taking your money and freedoms and spying on you and sending our youth to war and shooting black kids and aborting even younger blacks. Just saying. Everybody have a good evening.
There is a relationship between the interests of big pharma, the military industrial complex and other special interest groups and the constant stream of money going into policies that don't benefit the people. So yes big business is taking that money, they are just using government to do so. No other country in the world allows big pharma to dictate prices for drugs that are at least twice what anyone else in the world pays. Why is that? I don't want to hear all that stuff about R&D, because some of these entities are world wide and R&D is happening all over the world. The reason is because the politicians had their very expensive campaigns paid for by these entities. The same with the MIC influencing foreign policy for the same reasons.

The Xl
04-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Ron Paul was the only person that ran on a D or R ticket that I respected, that made sense, that had any shred of integrity.

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Be sure to tell Stephen Hawking what a disaster it is.

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 06:24 PM
So you you really do not mean it when you say you want government out of personal choice!

I should have said "personal choices that don't affect others"

I apologize for the confusion

If you don't have healthcare, I pay for it. Therefore, I want the mandate

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Because that would be staying on topic and apparently Matt doesn't want to do that.

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 06:27 PM
and now I'll stick to topic and not comment any more on health care. sorry, all!

Captain Obvious
04-12-2015, 06:28 PM

I don't disagree with that concept, not sure I agree with it but regardless, I don't trust the gubmint's agenda.

You do realize that the ACA isn't "free" heathcare, right? I'm only asking that because I have a freedoms concern with being forced into purchasing healthcare.

Captain Obvious
04-12-2015, 06:28 PM
lol - sorry, just saw your subsequent post.

Common
04-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Jon Huntsman is my idea of the ideal candidate. Honest, straightforward. Successfully governed a state, showing strong domestic policy experience, and also a successful and highly regarded diplomat, showing foreign policy experience. He was a Republican, but not a Republican partisan.

As long as they aren't 100% different on the issues than I am, I'd happily vote for someone that was only 20% with me if they had the qualities above.

However, I will say that I am a bit of a single-issue voter. Huntsman I liked because he had a rational foreign policy that put a strong focus on diplomacy. I won't vote for a candidate that doesn't have that kind of foreign policy.

Unfortunately its now become who has the most money behind them.

Captain Obvious
04-12-2015, 06:31 PM

Hooray for democracy...

Common
04-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Call me a pessimist, any candidate that would be close to being ideal isnt going to have the backing of anyone and in todays political climate since Citizens United its all about having alot of money behind you
Were screwed, they will always keep our votes divided by issues.

PattyHill
04-12-2015, 06:33 PM

To be fair, Jerry Brown won the governorship of California when Meg Whitman had much more money.

So it is possible to win when one has less money. But it's not easy.

Matty
04-12-2015, 06:37 PM

Yes well, if you have a kid and don't take care of it I pay for it so I want to mandate sterilization.

Common
04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
To be fair, Jerry Brown won the governorship of California when Meg Whitman had much more money.

I think its fair to say Jerry Brown isnt an ideal candidate and California has its own brand of politics I would think. Jerry Brown had huge name recognition in Cal also that has to be considered.

Hal Jordan
04-12-2015, 06:52 PM
I see a lot of talking about what this candidate lacks or that candidate has. What would it take to make an ideal candidate for YOU to support 100%. Not as a best of 2 evils choice.

No party trashing allowed. Anyone dragging the same old tired dumb names or party trashing insults will be laughed at by all as someone who can't read.

I saw the title and thought this would be a duplicate thread...

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/40693-Green-Arrow-2016

donttread
04-12-2015, 06:54 PM

1) Someone elected on a low budget who did not have to sell their soul to get elected.
2) Someone who believes in and is willing to enforce the Constitution and BOR's as the package deal it was meant to be.
3) Someone who has at some point somewhere balanced a budget.
4) Someone who is willing to relinquish our self appointed role of world police
5) Someone who is willing to be the Commander and Chief of a defense, not an offence
6) Someone who who is willing to over turn federal victimless crime laws
7) Someone with a voting record that at least mostly matches their rhetoric.
8) Someone who will prioritize the goal of making America an independent nation again.
9) Someone who will downsize the Military and our prison system
10) Someone who will disband the megacorps with real anti-trust regulations
11) Someone who supports the repeal of the 16th Amendment apportionment clause and reform of our antiquated control code.
12) Someone who will return state powers to the states.
13) Someone willing to support local, sustainable food and staple goods economies.
14) Someone willing to promote term limits and congressional pay being linked to performance and attendance
15) Someone who will reign in the CIA

zelmo1234
04-12-2015, 07:02 PM
I would love it is they had experience funning a successful company and were a Gov. at the end of there second term, managing a state with a balance budget and a growing economy.

I would want them to confront the government waste and promise not to sign a budget that is not balanced by year 3.

I want them to try and end partial birth abortion for all but extreme cases.

I want them to support our allies, an adamantly oppose our enemies, without nation building. They would promise that if the military would be required it would be total war until there was an unconditional surrender,

I want them to promise to close the southern boarder of the USA, and get tuff with employers that continue to employ illegal workers. Then have a plan to deal with the people that are here that never gives those that broke the law citizenship.

I want them to create enterprise zones around the country that would return jobs from overseas to the USA and provide jobs for the people that need them the most.

I want a simple and fair tax code.

That is a start!

Peter1469
04-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Be sure to tell Stephen Hawking what a disaster it is.

ok (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/07/24/nhs-inquiry-british-healthcare-system-caused-up-to-13000-needless-deaths-since-2005-n1647370)

The NHS’s medical director will spell out the failings of 14 trusts in England, which between them have been responsible for up to 13,000 “excess deaths” since 2005. Prof Sir Bruce Keogh will describe how each hospital let its patients down badly through poor care, medical errors and failures of management, and will show that the scandal of Stafford Hospital, where up to 1,200 patients died needlessly, was not a one-off. The report will also pile pressure on Labour over its handling of the NHS, with the Conservatives likely to seize on it to attack Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary who was in charge of the NHS in England from June 2009 until May 2010.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 08:05 PM

No, but they are helping to make sure that the people that are stay in power.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Call me a pessimist, any candidate that would be close to being ideal isnt going to have the backing of anyone and in todays political climate since Citizens United its all about having alot of money behind you

Everyone I mentioned as comprising part of an ideal candidate won some election. Many of them won presidential elections. It can happen.

Bob
04-12-2015, 09:29 PM

Back Paul Ryan's budget and back Eric Cantors general ideas. Sign the anti tax pledge

Pledge to enact the FAIR Tax

Bob
04-12-2015, 09:34 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Green Arrow http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1042213#post1042213)

Hell no, he would find out his old home actually has running water and electricity by now. I think he would no longer want to use that flush toilet system he had. Too unsanitary. And he would have to free his slaves.

No more sex with his help.

I urge all in VA to go to Monticello. A very good tour.

Bob
04-12-2015, 09:40 PM

Brown is my governor and he is far far better than Obama or Hillary.

That said, his father was a Governor of CA so he came up knowing the system. And he served as the Ca Governor as a young man for two terms. And he served as a city mayor of a terrible city.

He used to be called moonbeam but seems level headed today.

domer76
04-12-2015, 09:48 PM

The candidate who is EXACTLY like me!

Bob
04-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Here is an awesome piece on Hillary ... up and running

http://www.citizensunited.org/

Who We AreCitizens United is an organization dedicated to restoring our government to citizens' control. Through a combination of education, advocacy, and grass roots organization, Citizens United seeks to reassert the traditional American values of limited government, freedom of enterprise, strong families, and national sovereignty and security. Citizens United's goal is to restore the founding fathers' vision of a free nation, guided by the honesty, common sense, and good will of its citizens.

domer76
04-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Here is an awesome piece on Hillary ... up and running

http://www.citizensunited.org/

Who We Are

Citizens United is an organization dedicated to restoring our government to citizens' control. Through a combination of education, advocacy, and grass roots organization, Citizens United seeks to reassert the traditional American values of limited government, freedom of enterprise, strong families, and national sovereignty and security. Citizens United's goal is to restore the founding fathers' vision of a free nation, guided by the honesty, common sense, and good will of its citizens.

I think they left out Mom and Apple Pie.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 10:19 PM

domer76
04-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I like Ike.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 10:38 PM
I like Ike.

me too. I miss the daily report on the evening news of his golf game.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 11:20 PM
The interstate system was a fairly revolutionary transportation policy.

PolWatch
04-12-2015, 11:25 PM
The interstate system was a fairly revolutionary transportation policy.

yeap. Ike saw the difficulty he had moving troops in Europe WII. That is what our interstate system is for....military troop movements. We are allowed to use it if the military doesn't need it.

Green Arrow
04-12-2015, 11:27 PM
yeap. Ike saw the difficulty he had moving troops in Europe WII. That is what our interstate system is for....military troop movements. We are allowed to use it if the military doesn't need it.

That and with modern tech the military doesn't really need it anymore anyway.

donttread
04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Hell no, he would find out his old home actually has running water and electricity by now. I think he would no longer want to use that flush toilet system he had. Too unsanitary. And he would have to free his slaves.

He would also realize that "the great experiment" had failed because the people had failed in their duty of "eternal viglance"

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 06:29 AM

Yes it is a good tour. (http://www.monticello.org/)
Also, a good part of his library is at the Library of Congress. Next to the Supreme Court.

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 06:33 AM
That and with modern tech the military doesn't really need it anymore anyway.

Modern Main Battle Tanks would tear up the interstates pretty quickly.

PattyHill
04-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Brown is my governor and he is far far better than Obama or Hillary.

That said, his father was a Governor of CA so he came up knowing the system. And he served as the Ca Governor as a young man for two terms. And he served as a city mayor of a terrible city.

He used to be called moonbeam but seems level headed today.

Wow, we agree on something! Jerry Brown has been a good governor for California - and a large part of that is his experience with the system, I agree. Don't get me wrong - I don't agree with everything he's done, and the two tunnels project is ridiculous, but overall he's done well for us and he's brought the state back from a bad place.

I feel Hillary Clinton brings experience to the table as well - having been first lady, Senator, and Secretary of State, she knows Washington, she knows how to get things done.

Experience is a good thing.

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 09:19 AM
She knows how to get ambassador's killed. :shocked:

Matty
04-13-2015, 09:21 AM
She knows how to get ambassador's killed. :shocked:

she certainly does!

Matty
04-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Wow, we agree on something! Jerry Brown has been a good governor for California - and a large part of that is his experience with the system, I agree. Don't get me wrong - I don't agree with everything he's done, and the two tunnels project is ridiculous, but overall he's done well for us and he's brought the state back from a bad place.

I feel Hillary Clinton brings experience to the table as well - having been first lady, Senator, and Secretary of State, she knows Washington, she knows how to get things done.

He's a great govenor. California is out of money, out of water, overrun with illegals and is going to get a bullet train to get you from one bankrupt city to another. And excellent job indeed!

Safety
04-13-2015, 09:24 AM

I would like to disallow some to use it, especially the ones who like to camp in the left lane holding up traffic. Oh well.

PattyHill
04-13-2015, 09:34 AM
He's a great govenor. California is out of money, out of water, overrun with illegals and is going to get a bullet train to get you from one bankrupt city to another. And excellent job indeed!

Fail.

We're doing a lot better money-wise than before him, and our budget balances.

We aren't overrun by illegals; they are a vital part of our economy, although to be fair they are exploited.

Bullet trains are cool.

Not sure what he was supposed to do about water. Even a governor can't make it rain and snow. And building more reservoirs wouldn't have helped since there is no water to fill them. He could be harder on agriculture in terms of water cutbacks; that I would agree with. Still doesn't get us MORE water.

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Fail.

We aren't overrun by illegals; they are a vital part of our economy, although to be fair they are exploited.

Bullet trains are cool.

Not sure what he was supposed to do about water. Even a governor can't make it rain and snow. And building more reservoirs wouldn't have helped since there is no water to fill them. He could be harder on agriculture in terms of water cutbacks; that I would agree with. Still doesn't get us MORE water.

How is public transportation in Los Angeles? I have only been there once. I considered taking the train from San Diego, but it didn't seem easy to get around. I was at the museum district and tar pits. Then Hollywood.

Polecat
04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Fail.

Bullet trains are cool.

I am a little selfish when it comes to food production. I don't believe farming should even be considered until every last golf coarse, swimming pool, and irrigated lawn has been eliminated.

PattyHill
04-13-2015, 10:40 AM
How is public transportation in Los Angeles? I have only been there once. I considered taking the train from San Diego, but it didn't seem easy to get around. I was at the museum district and tar pits. Then Hollywood.

I'm in northern California, so can't answer. Hopefully someone else can!

PattyHill
04-13-2015, 10:46 AM
I am a little selfish when it comes to food production. I don't believe farming should even be considered until every last golf coarse, swimming pool, and irrigated lawn has been eliminated.

However, crops like almond trees use a lot of water and the crop is mostly sold overseas.

So mix of crops becomes important; farmers should be planting crops that don't use a lot of water.

Pistachios also use a lot of water; I personally never eat them.

Scroll down on this link, there's info on how much water various crops use
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/wheres-californias-water-going

The counter-argument is that farmers have already done a lot to reduce their water use; that cutting them back more is going to be very tough.

I'm good with cutting off golf courses, private swimming pools, and watering lawns - or at least charging them a lot for their water - but I'm also good with telling farmers not to plant almond and pistachio trees.

Polecat
04-13-2015, 10:54 AM
However, crops like almond trees use a lot of water and the crop is mostly sold overseas.

So mix of crops becomes important; farmers should be planting crops that don't use a lot of water.

Pistachios also use a lot of water; I personally never eat them.

Scroll down on this link, there's info on how much water various crops use
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/wheres-californias-water-going

The counter-argument is that farmers have already done a lot to reduce their water use; that cutting them back more is going to be very tough.

I'm good with cutting off golf courses, private swimming pools, and watering lawns - or at least charging them a lot for their water - but I'm also good with telling farmers not to plant almond and pistachio trees.

It is a two edged sword. One pistachio tree may remove more CO2 from the atmosphere than a 1000 acres of sage brush.

gamewell45
04-13-2015, 11:08 AM
I've been a life-long Independent; when I turned 18 and registered, Nixon was President and going through the Watergate affair; the scandal tainted my views on political parties so I decided that I would refuse to be beholden to any political party.

As mentioned in here before some people are one-issue voters; in other words there is one issue that is a maker or breaker on how a person will ultimately vote. I'm one of those; for me the candidates position on organized labor regardless of political party will determine how I will cast my vote. If none of the candidates can pass muster, then I will write-in my name. I once got 3 votes for Governor!

While It's a pipe dream, I'd like to see a Bernie Sanders/Dennis Kucinich ticket; while they have their flaws as all politicians have, I think America would be much better off having Sanders as President with Kucinich as VP. Just my opinion. :)

PattyHill
04-13-2015, 11:11 AM
It is a two edged sword. One pistachio tree may remove more CO2 from the atmosphere than a 1000 acres of sage brush.

And pistachio husks maybe could be used in biomass facilities...

wow, just came across this while searching - exploding pistachios!

http://io9.com/5733837/when-pistachio-nuts-explode

Laptops and humans aren't the only things that can spontaneously combust. Pistachios are so likely to burst into flames that there are strict shipping codes to keep them from doing so.

In fact there seem to be no end to the ways pistachios can kill. Just having them in an enclosed space can suffocate someone. They take in oxygen and excrete carbon dioxide, even after they've been harvested. Ships have to keep them in a well-ventilated place so they don't suck all the air out of a place and suffocate cabin boys.
They also have to be kept under the right temperature and pressure conditions. Pistachios have a low water content and a high fat content. Water doesn't burn. Fat does. There may seem like a logical solution to this. Ships go over oceans, lakes, and rivers, so the humidity should bring up the water content and everything should be okay, right? Arh, ye be wrong, me lads.
When the water content in pistachios gets too large, fat-cleaving enzymes kick in. The fat-cleaving enzymes produce free fatty acids, and those fatty acids are broken down when the nut takes in oxygen and spits out carbon dioxide. During that process it also spits out water, which makes more fat-cleaving enzymes kick in. What's more, that process of breaking down the fatty acid, taking in oxygen and putting out carbon dioxide has a more common name; burning. The process gives off a lot of heat, and that heat builds and builds until the entire bunch of nuts catches fire and sometimes explodes.

Polecat
04-13-2015, 11:56 AM
And pistachio husks maybe could be used in biomass facilities...

wow, just came across this while searching - exploding pistachios!

http://io9.com/5733837/when-pistachio-nuts-explode

That is actually a likely scenario with most confined plant matter. It is referred to as composting in some circles.

PattyHill
04-13-2015, 12:40 PM
That is actually a likely scenario with most confined plant matter. It is referred to as composting in some circles.

While compost piles - particular big piles of chips from trees - have been known to catch fire, that's not the norm for compost piles. Sounds like pistachios are a bit more dangerous. My compost pile goes through a lot of temperature changes and never catches fire.

But way off topic, so doesn't really matter.

Polecat
04-13-2015, 12:48 PM
While compost piles - particular big piles of chips from trees - have been known to catch fire, that's not the norm for compost piles. Sounds like pistachios are a bit more dangerous. My compost pile goes through a lot of temperature changes and never catches fire.

But way off topic, so doesn't really matter.

Compost piles may be off topic but the chemistry at play is the same process. Certain oils will self ignite in very short order under the right (wrong) conditions. Linseed oil is a notorious one. And further more..............uh.....what was the original topic again?

Bob
04-13-2015, 01:59 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=1042740#post1042740)

Yes it is a good tour. (http://www.monticello.org/)
Also, a good part of his library is at the Library of Congress. Next to the Supreme Court.

I believe the tour guide pitch is his library started the library of congress.

It is kind of neat to take photos from the side of the house that is featured on our 5 cent coins.

I was trying to rank his slave quarters to those of Washington. I did not get real close to seeing inside but they probably are comparable. I got there late in the day and wish I had more time to visit Charlottesville. I drove back to Falls Church from his home.

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 02:05 PM
I believe the tour guide pitch is his library started the library of congress.

It is kind of neat to take photos from the side of the house that is featured on our 5 cent coins.

I was trying to rank his slave quarters to those of Washington. I did not get real close to seeing inside but they probably are comparable. I got there late in the day and wish I had more time to visit Charlottesville. I drove back to Falls Church from his home.

Charlottesville has a lot of cool stuff around. I like that town. The Army JAG school is there, so I have spend a lot of time there. They have been doing a lot of new construction there.

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 02:05 PM
I believe that Jefferson sold much of his library to the government to pay off debt.

Bob
04-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Charlottesville has a lot of cool stuff around. I like that town. The Army JAG school is there, so I have spend a lot of time there. They have been doing a lot of new construction there.

As I said, I did not drive into the town. We have a town that is one of my favorites that has similar settings. Placerville, CA. I very much like the town and came close to buying a home there.

Bob
04-13-2015, 02:13 PM
I believe that Jefferson sold much of his library to the government to pay off debt.

That makes perfect sense. In fact, the tour guide probably put it that way.

Bob
04-13-2015, 02:21 PM

The 200 mile train is wrong. Not sure what the two tunnels project is. I also do not agree any politician brought CA back. It was business and them paying our super high taxes that pays for the state spending. I recall him from his first time as governor and that man was wacky. HE seems to be grown up today. He sticks to the job and not making an ass of himself in public so that part is good. He is no Obama for sure. Hillary spent little time in congress. And her state department time is valuable. She has baggage. She knows more than Obama but she has baggage.

Just looked up the two tunnels and I am not sure about that project. I plan to study it a lot more, not that I can do a damned thing about if should he press forward with it.
We are stuck with him for several more years.

I worked on the pump project that kills smelt. To further drain the major water reservoirs to ship to Los Angles does not please this Northern Californian.

Brown ought to use all that money to supply Los Angeles with desalted water. They have plenty of technology.

Bob
04-13-2015, 02:46 PM
me too. I miss the daily report on the evening news of his golf game.

Obama does not issue his daily golf game reports. But he plays plenty of golf.

Howey
04-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Obama does not issue his daily golf game reports. But he plays plenty of golf.

More than Bush did?

nic34
04-13-2015, 03:25 PM

I think they are happy with it. For the most part.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9542817.ece/alternates/w1024/Davis_Mirror_2014_ES1_for_web.jpg

Peter1469
04-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Lots of needless deaths in the UK because of it.

From I what hear from Brits they like the no options part of it. No thinking required.