PDA

View Full Version : Tea, Taxes, and the Revolution

Peter1469
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/07/03/tea_taxes_and_the_revolution?page=0,0

Here is an interesting article from Grover Norquist discussing the parallels between taxes in the 1770s and today. My major issue is that Grover does not seem to add in all taxes that we face today. But it is still a very interesting article.

Chris
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I like his comparison of then:
The bottom line: American colonists were both paid more and taxed less than the British. American taxes, in fact, were low and going lower, but the very idea that they had been raised and could be raised again by a distant power was enough to send Americans into the streets to engage in civil disobedience.
And now, which is similar, it's the danger taxes could be raised again by a distant power in the capital that we need be wary of.

Peter1469
07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
I like his comparison of then:
And now, which is similar, it's the danger taxes could be raised again by a distant power in the capital that we need be wary of.

Right, did you see that part about the Founders being OK with tariffs on goods?

MMC
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Has anyone figured out what the Brits were trying to do with the Tea Tax and their effort to bailout the Dutch West Indies Company?

Peter1469
07-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Has anyone figured out what the Brits were trying to do with the Tea Tax and their effort to bailout the Dutch West Indies Company?

Read an article on your first question several months ago- or longer.

King George and his advisers were against the tax, but the British East India Company got it pushed through Parliament. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

MMC
07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Read an article on your first question several months ago- or longer.

King George and his advisers were against the tax, but the British East India Company got it pushed through Parliament. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Yes it does.....I was listening to Michael Medved who brought this out over the holiday in discussing the Founding Fathers and events leading up to the revolution. Did you know not one person was harmed nor injured with the Boston Tea Party and that they did not even damage any parts of the ship. Also Sam Adams lead them dressed as Indians. That even after dumping 336 cases of tea into the harbor that none of them even took any of the Tea for free.

Yeah and it was the Govenor of Boston who pushed the issued due to his friends in that company. As well as him seeing this as a means of control over what he termed rebels.

Trinnity
07-07-2012, 11:08 AM
What pisses me off is the way DC and even many state govts just do what they want and are even brazen about it. Obama in particular makes no pretense that he gives a damn how we feel about things or what we want. We didn't want that obamacare thing and we want smaller, less intrusive govt.

Peter1469
07-07-2012, 11:12 AM
exactly