PDA

View Full Version : Japan bumps China as top holder of US Treasury debt

Peter1469
04-15-2015, 06:06 PM
There is a word for that (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FOREIGN_HOLDINGS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-04-15-16-09-33): suckers!

Anyone buying US t-bills is foolish.

Japan overtook China in February as the top foreign holder of U.S. Treasury securities, a position Japan last held in August 2008.

In its monthly report on bond holdings, the Treasury Department said Wednesday total foreign holdings of Treasury debt dipped 0.9 percent in February to $6.16 trillion, down from a record of $6.22 trillion in January.

The holdings of China, normally the top holder of Treasury debt, slipped 1.2 percent to $1.22 trillion. Japan's fell 1.1 percent from January. China's decline was a bit larger, allowing Japan to jump into the top spot, $700 million above China.

Common Sense
04-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Yes, buying the safest of all investments is "foolish".

Moved to rants...wait, what? I can't do that.

Peter1469
04-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Yes, buying the safest of all investments is "foolish".

Moved to rants...wait, what? I can't do that.

Right you can't do that.

The US debt is unsustainable. But by all means, buy all of the US debt you desire. :shocked:

Common Sense
04-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Right you can't do that.

The US debt is unsustainable. But by all means, buy all of the US debt you desire. :shocked:

Then why is it considered by investors as the safest bet?

No, you're right, I can't. But I can point out the obvious.

Peter1469
04-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Then why is it considered by investors as the safest bet?

No, you're right, I can't. But I can point out the obvious.

I think it is considered the safest by the people that want to sell them to you.

Do you agree with the plan to convert all 401Ks to T-bills?

I think it would cause a revolution.

Common
04-15-2015, 06:46 PM
I remember in the 70s before our corporations graciously took china from eating dogs and cats to flourishing economically at the expense of all americans. Japan was buying up america at an incredible rate and americans were being alarmed japan was buying america. When they bought rockefeller center in NYC it became real.

Blackrook
04-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Common, you are a xenophobic troll.