PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s Illiberal Foreign Policy

Mister D
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
The incoming hope-and-change Obama administration advanced the narrative that at home and abroad it cared far more for people than profits. Its “reset” diplomacy (all in the past “bad,” all in the future “good”) was supposed to be about multilateral consensus instead of Bush-era unilateral hubris. But after almost 30 months, it is now clear that in our dealings abroad values like human rights, constitutional government, free-market liberal economics, and transparency do not matter much to the Obama administration.

In all the acrimony over the Israeli-Palestinian open sore — forget disputed lands, past history, even the matter of an ally versus an entity that is in league with our enemies — no one in the Obama administration has once reminded the American people that Israel is a liberal democracy that respects the rights of minorities, women, homosexuals, and the “other” in a manner that is still impossible on the West Bank or in Gaza. That Israel is prosperous and wealthy without natural resources in a way that most of its neighbors are not means little — and why that is so means nothing at all.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270192/obama-s-illiberal-foreign-policy-victor-davis-hanson

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't think it's a matter of societal liberalism with BO, but more of a leftist populist position.

Conley
06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I really don't see Obama as a liberal. I'd say Clinton and even Bush the Senior (not to mention all Republican presidents before Reagan) are to the left of Obama. A centrist in the 80s and 90s would be considered a lefty today.

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
I really don't see Obama as a liberal. I'd say Clinton and even Bush the Senior (not to mention all Republican presidents before Reagan) are to the left of Obama. A centrist in the 80s and 90s would be considered a lefty today.

Obama is whatever his voting constituents want him to be.

Conley
06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

100% wrong. He's whatever his campaign contributors want him to be. Something like 80% of all donors >500k have some connection to government jobs / contracts.

The people who voted for him by and large don't follow politics, and without a pivotal issue or an engaging GOP candidate, will result in him getting elected again. I'm going to predict a low turn out and Obama getting elected by a slight margin, along with some suspicious voting irregularities just like when he got elected the first time and Dubya in his two turns. No change here.

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:21 PM

100% wrong. He's whatever his campaign contributors want him to be. Something like 80% of all donors >500k have some connection to government jobs / contracts.

The people who voted for him by and large don't follow politics, and without a pivotal issue or an engaging GOP candidate, will result in him getting elected again. I'm going to predict a low turn out and Obama getting elected by a slight margin, along with some suspicious voting irregularities just like when he got elected the first time and Dubya in his two turns. No change here.

Absolutely not wrong.

He campaigned on "hope and change", selling that snake oil on his numerous campaign stops.

Everyone fell for it hook, line and sinker - he was elected.

No doubt he will go on that same snake oil tour, telling everyone he's whatever they want him to be. Most of them will fall for it hook, line and sinker again because you can't teach idiots new tricks.

Conley
06-23-2011, 06:24 PM
No, read it again. He is not what his voting constituents want him to be, he says what his voting constituents want to hear. If any of them paid attention (and some are) they'd realize the difference.

Captain Obvious
06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
No, read it again. He is not what his voting constituents want him to be, he says what his voting constituents want to hear. If any of them paid attention (and some are) they'd realize the difference.

Mindy? Is that you?

;D ;D ;D

Conley
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM

Mindy? Is that you?

;D ;D ;D

Quit fantasizing, your wife will get pissed ;)

GRUMPY
06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
obama is a narcissistic fascist who really has no clue as to what he is doing....recognized as a fool at home and abroad, he is a forty plus year old adolescent, wrestling with issues of abandonment and racial identity....possessing a radical marxist 60s view of this nation and armed with a 1930s grab bag of so called solutions....basically he is a man at war with himself and his country, seeking to depreciate this nation in the name of collective retribution....

spunkloaf
06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
obama is a narcissistic fascist who really has no clue as to what he is doing....recognized as a fool at home and abroad, he is a forty plus year old adolescent, wrestling with issues of abandonment and racial identity....possessing a radical marxist 60s view of this nation and armed with a 1930s grab bag of so called solutions....basically he is a man at war with himself and his country, seeking to depreciate this nation in the name of collective retribution....

Wow.

GRUMPY
06-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Wow.

spunk, think....consider his family dynamics, consider his mentors and associations, consider his actions and assorted statements since taking office.....this really is not a mystery.....

MMC
06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Yesssssss......Obama and his New Democracy. You know that Humaniterroism thing they got going. Where the double standard applies as evidenced by his Waste of Space UN Ambassador. Where Democrats write legislation for nation-building and Infrastructure. Where we allow the Sunni to commit Genocide against the Shia.

Where we bomb Shia in Yemen and then admit we do not know who all the militants are and what their play is. The you hear we send in the drones. Stating we bombed AQ. Except for the fact that a Shiek who woke up and said enough is enough with Selah. Is who we bombed.

He has now placed us in the Middle of a Civil War in Libya. Involving us over a play made by the French who knows their ass is next with the IMF bailouts in Europe. As soon as Spain goes. The French will not be that far behind. Time to pull the plug on NATO and let the French show to the world they couldn't win a conflit on their own.

They really do have much in Common with the Sunni......meaning they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper-bag. MO on the French's supposed fighting ability.

Juggernaut
06-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Obama is hard left, so far left he sparks off the iron curtain wall on many issues. On war, immigration and national security he's centrist but still far left and totally clueless as an executive. With FP Obama's position on Israel is criminal George Soros position and its a dumb plan. Without Hillary and his ability to read newspapers Obama would have done far worse. Obama is too hard headed to take advice and he has Valerie Jarrett parroting every move, she could be Obama's Brain!

Obama has hired some of the creepiest sons of bitches to ever infest Washington. I think some slithered from under the toilets seeking jobs after brighter liberals sort of stepped back thinking woa I can't support a man who gives me little power while his czars run around unchecked by congress with the real power. A man with no clear plan is a man the brightest won't support because they have to think about their careers post Obama.

GRUMPY
06-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Obama is hard left, so far left he sparks off the iron curtain wall on many issues. On war, immigration and national security he's centrist but still far left and totally clueless as an executive. With FP Obama's position on Israel is criminal George Soros position and its a dumb plan. Without Hillary and his ability to read newspapers Obama would have done far worse. Obama is too hard headed to take advice and he has Valerie Jarrett parroting every move, she could be Obama's Brain!

Obama has hired some of the creepiest sons of bitches to ever infest Washington. I think some slithered from under the toilets seeking jobs after brighter liberals sort of stepped back thinking woa I can't support a man who gives me little power while his czars run around unchecked by congress with the real power. A man with no clear plan is a man the brightest won't support because they have to think about their careers post Obama.

this is incorrect, reconsider the behaviors of this adm in these areas.....

MMC
06-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Yesssssss......Obama and his New Democracy. You know that Humaniterroism thing they got going. Where the double standard applies as evidenced by his Waste of Space UN Ambassador. Where Democrats write legislation for nation-building and Infrastructure. Where we allow the Sunni to commit Genocide against the Shia.

Where we bomb Shia in Yemen and then admit we do not know who all the militants are and what their play is. The you hear we send in the drones. Stating we bombed AQ. Except for the fact that a Shiek who woke up and said enough is enough with Selah. Is who we bombed.

He has now placed us in the Middle of a Civil War in Libya. Involving us over a play made by the French who knows their ass is next with the IMF bailouts in Europe. As soon as Spain goes. The French will not be that far behind. Time to pull the plug on NATO and let the French show to the world they couldn't win a conflit on their own.

They really do have much in Common with the Sunni......meaning they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper-bag. MO on the French's supposed fighting ability.

What did this mean by Modify reply????? What was wrong with this post????? WTF is going on?

ADMIN
06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Nothing is wrong with the post.

Every poster has the ability to edit his or her own posts, hence the "Modify Reply" option. A poster can choose to make changes or keep it the same.

ADMIN
06-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Perhaps someone else was posting to the thread at the same time you were. If that is the case, a red box appears and says you may wish to modify your post. The forum software does this so that you are given a chance to read the new post before adding your own, in case you wish to make a modification.

MMC
06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanxs ADMIN.....you and I got it covered.

Juggernaut
06-29-2011, 07:45 PM

War and immigration he's like Bush, just ran a fake campaign to sucker the masses. BO has increased the number of illegal captures. Now he may whine about enforcing the law, hard to say what goes on behind the whitehouse walls.

GRUMPY
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM

War and immigration he's like Bush, just ran a fake campaign to sucker the masses. BO has increased the number of illegal captures. Now he may whine about enforcing the law, hard to say what goes on behind the whitehouse walls.

none of the numbers put forth by this admin concerning immgration or anything else for that matter are to be believed....

MMC
06-30-2011, 09:20 AM
I agree with you there Grumpy......not only do the numbers not match up, but the hypocrisy by this administration is dripping wet. Although the numbers they throw out on how much they are going to give other countries. Now I do believe Them on that matter. Hell, even Kerry filed the legislation for the nation building and infrastructure.

He pointed out how we gave a billion dollars to Kosovo/Bosnia. Problem is he didn' give us anything on the return. Guess what. There is no return. So we uped and gave away a billion dollars for nothing.