PDA

View Full Version : Only government can stick with failed policy for decades on end

donttread
04-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Perhaps the only real effective check and balance for government , fiscal responsibility , is completely bypassed by our "spend what you don't have" mentality.
Think about it what business or family could substanially out spend revenue 15 years running? What business or family could or would continue to throw good money after bad in empirically proven failures such as the " war on drugs", "war on poverty" or "war on terror" ? Or give away money they don't have to other families or businesses every year?
We exempt government from the rules of society that government creates and enforces. For example in a school "might makes right" is bullying and we have plenty of in effective government rules to combat this but as Peter pointed out " we are a super power and can do what we want" A.K.A bullying. A family that spends more that it takes in 15 straight years loses it's credit and cannot continue to over spend, but the government just borrows more money and punishes S&P for a rightful credit downgrade.
A person who attacks another without just cause is guilty of assault , our government calls this Iraq.
In short most of our problems would be improved if we held our hypocritical government to the standards they hold us to.

Peter1469
04-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Don't confuse domestic policy, where a State has a duty to act in the best interest of its citizens, with foreign policy where the State has a duty to act in the best interest of its citizens without much regard to other nations.

We might agree on a lot of foreign policy issues, but that is a basic issue to understand.

Chris
04-18-2015, 11:01 AM
donttread. you got to realize if government were ever successful it'd put itself out of business.

donttread
04-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Don't confuse domestic policy, where a State has a duty to act in the best interest of its citizens, with foreign policy where the State has a duty to act in the best interest of its citizens without much regard to other nations.

We might agree on a lot of foreign policy issues, but that is a basic issue to understand.

Please let me know when our foreign policy starts to act in the best interest of our citizens. Except the 1% it caters to now that is

donttread
04-18-2015, 01:45 PM
@donttread (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=922). you got to realize if government were ever successful it'd put itself out of business.

Well it would definitely curtail itself back to the enumerated powers

Chris
04-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Well it would definitely curtail itself back to the enumerated powers

It's not been very successful at that either.

Peter1469
04-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Please let me know when our foreign policy starts to act in the best interest of our citizens. Except the 1% it caters to now that is

I am talking theory. We agree that the US gets it wrong.

Ransom
04-19-2015, 04:39 AM

Much like the horse and water rule, you can show a liberal reality, but you can't make him learn.

donttread
04-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Much like the horse and water rule, you can show a liberal reality, but you can't make him learn.

My neighbors son was lost in 9/11, the direct result of our foreign policy for the 1%. My step daughter was lost to the failed war on drugs that has done nothing to stop drugs, but has made us the most incarcerated society on earth and driven addicts into the shadows. And yet we wage wars that have been proven failures for decades?