PDA

View Full Version : Canada pledges another $227M in aid to Afghanistan

roadmaster
07-08-2012, 11:54 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/

Interesting they can send this to Afghanistan but not spare the expense or people when the Elliot Mall collapsed on it's own people.

Carygrant
07-09-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/

Interesting they can send this to Afghanistan but not spare the expense or people when the Elliot Mall collapsed on it's own people.

Perhaps it is money to attract highly skilled Afghan workers to come to Canada and lead the work at the Elliot Mall .

Beevee
07-09-2012, 07:52 AM
The U.S. portion was expected to be in the decade-long annual range of $1 billion to this year's $2.3 billion.

I'm pleased to see the Canadian taxpayer got off relatively lightly, when compared to US taxpayers.

roadmaster
07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm pleased to see the Canadian taxpayer got off relatively lightly, when compared to US taxpayers.

Are you also pleased they wouldn't use their resources to help the ones trapped under the mall? If it had been your spouse, child ect would you be so calm and pleased?

Beevee
07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Are you also pleased they wouldn't use their resources to help the ones trapped under the mall? If it had been your spouse, child ect would you be so calm and pleased?

Still trapped there, are they? If not, in your opinion, who got them out?

Canadianeye
07-09-2012, 10:54 AM

I don't follow your logic on this one. Prime Minister Harper offered the military and any other resources of the Federal Government to the Provincial premier Dalton McGuinty. That is what was reported, anyways.

Beyond that, I do not believe the 227 million dollars slated towards aid to Afghanistan was budgeted haphazardly...that is how budgeting works. Therefore, the 227 million is irrelavant to the tragedy of the mall.

It does produce an incindiary headline/topic thread though.

roadmaster
07-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Still trapped there, are they? If not, in your opinion, who got them out?

No, not that we know of but it took a long time and they refused to bring in more people and equipment. Time is critical in these types of disasters. It was careless, that would be like a child gone missing and the police waiting two days before they investigated.

roadmaster
07-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I don't follow your logic on this one. Prime Minister Harper offered the military and any other resources of the Federal Government to the Provincial premier Dalton McGuinty. That is what was reported, anyways.
The ones around the site didn't see this. I am not there but this is what I was told by the people.

Canadianeye
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
The ones around the site didn't see this. I am not there but this is what I was told by the people.

It was widely reported, even by the CBC of your source link.

I suspect, the anger of some of the citizenry is looking to expend some anger. There are some who were livid regarding some of the decisions made locally on the rescue. (Miners and ex miners specifically) I agree actually with them. Emergency personnel are there to do a job, dangerous or not.

Harper, Mcguinty will get misplaced anger thrown at them. The local authorities have some deserved anger being thrown their way. The mall owners are probably quite happy with small pockets of the anger being directed elsewhere...for the moment.

The board of inquiry has now been established with a judge from Ottawa. I suspect justice will be administered to those really guilty of this tragedy, the ones who knew about this roof, ignored the problems with this roof...and who are going to be held accountable for this tragedy.

Beevee
07-09-2012, 04:01 PM
No, not that we know of but it took a long time and they refused to bring in more people and equipment. Time is critical in these types of disasters. It was careless, that would be like a child gone missing and the police waiting two days before they investigated.

Perhaps there are insufficient tragedies in Canada to formulate a policy of having the right people in the right place at the right time.

I can see why that would not be a problem in America.

roadmaster
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
he board of inquiry has now been established with a judge from Ottawa. I suspect justice will be administered to those really guilty of this tragedy, the ones who knew about this roof, ignored the problems with this roof...and who are going to be held accountable for this tragedy.

I do hope they get justice. One person told me that it had been inspected a month earlier.

roadmaster
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Perhaps there are insufficient tragedies in Canada to formulate a policy of having the right people in the right place at the right time.

It happens but this type of carelessness needs to be addressed.

Goldie Locks
07-09-2012, 04:52 PM

and the population of Cunuck land and America is???

Beevee
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
and the population of Cunuck land and America is???

...........as different as chalk is to cheese!