PDA

View Full Version : Chris?

Howey
04-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Please explain to the class the difference between a "Libertarian" and a "libertarian", including their platforms and representatives.

Thanks.

Peter1469
04-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Capital L libertarian is a real political party. See their platform here (https://www.lp.org/platform).

Small l libertarian is outside of that political party.

Simple.

Chris
04-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Party vs principle.

What principle? Non-coercion is the most common answer.

We have a republican form of government. Does that mean it's run by Republicans?

Howey
04-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Party vs principle.

What principle? Non-coercion is the most common answer.

We have a republican form of government. Does that mean it's run by Republicans?

That doesn't answer my questions. Are you unable to answer my questions?

Please explain to the class the difference between a "Libertarian" and a "libertarian", including their platforms and representatives.

Thanks.

Chris
04-23-2015, 04:55 PM
That doesn't answer my questions. Are you unable to answer my questions?

You mean you don't like my answer?

Since libertarian is not a party it has no platforms and representatives. Ask a sensible question.

Howey
04-23-2015, 04:58 PM
You mean you don't like my answer?

Since libertarian is not a party it has no platforms and representatives. Ask a sensible question.

I asked a very sensible question. Why can't you answer it?

Thanks.

But now I have to answer more questions.

If a libertarian isn't a Libertarian, then who are they?

The Libertarian Party has 250,000 members. How can they win an election?

Chris
04-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Some libertarians are Libertarians. I'm not. You'll have to find a Libertarian to answer your political party questions.

Mister D
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM

You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Peter1469
04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Foot stomping....

Mister D
04-23-2015, 05:09 PM
BTW, Howey, if it makes you feel less oppressed or whatever the fuck your problem is this applies to many political terms. For example, one can be a communist or a Communist. The former indicates an ideological position while the latter indicates membership in a political party.

Howey
04-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Foot stomping....

Aren't you a mod? Reported for being a bad faith post.

Peter1469
04-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Noted.

Dr. Who
04-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Actually Howey, it's not bad faith. He responded to Mister D's post with opinion relevant to Mister D's remark. Opinion is not bad faith unless it does not address the comment that it responds to. If you make a post and I respond with a rude remark about your intelligence or simply call you a name, that is bad faith. It is not responsive at all. A response does not have to agree with your opinion or even be kind. It cannot call a member names but it can question and it can be snarky/sarcastic so long as it is relevant and responsive to the post.

Howey
04-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Actually Howey, it's not bad faith. He responded to Mister D's post with opinion relevant to Mister D's remark. Opinion is not bad faith unless it does not address the comment that it responds to. If you make a post and I respond with a rude remark about your intelligence or simply call you a name, that is bad faith. It is not responsive at all. A response does not have to agree with your opinion or even be kind. It cannot call a member names but it can question and it can be snarky/sarcastic so long as it is relevant and responsive to the post.

Oh. So Mister D's post was bad faith. Thanks!

Peter1469
04-23-2015, 07:28 PM
lol

Mister D
04-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Oh. So Mister D's post was bad faith. Thanks!

Why are you still here?

Chris
04-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Why are you still here?

You bad!

Mister D
04-23-2015, 07:33 PM
You bad!

I'm all for increased participation but I mean c'mon. Get a life.

Chris
04-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Or discuss Libertarian vs libertarian. Well, Howey?

Cthulhu
04-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Oi vey... You just have to spell it out to some people.

Hypothetical Example : "Howey, you're a giant faggot, and I live rent free inside your tiny mind."

^^^^This is bad faith and insulting.

Notice how it doesn't address the topic of Libertarian vs libertarian.

Another example: "@Howey, the difference between the two is largely up to the individual. One may espouse the principles and the party by registering, while the other may just vote for libertarian ideals. Those who can't figure that out may as well just call them Libertarians as a blanket statement because the difference to outsiders is nominal."

^^^Good faith posting whether or not you like/agree with it.

I hope this clears up the confusion. :)

To the concerned powers that be -

...yes I know. I'm a bad man.

Sent from my evil, kitten eating cell phone.

Mister D
04-23-2015, 07:44 PM

There is nothing to discuss. It's clear cut and objective.

Chris
04-23-2015, 07:53 PM
There is nothing to discuss. It's clear cut and objective.

One would think. But some prefer to conflate and obfuscate.

Howey
04-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Still waiting on your answer.

Chris
04-23-2015, 07:57 PM

#3.

William
04-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Oi vey... You just have to spell it out to some people.

Hypothetical Example : "Howey, you're a giant faggot, and I live rent free inside your tiny mind."

^^^^This is bad faith and insulting.

LOL, sorry - de debbil made me do it! :laugh:

Where I come from a faggot is -

faggot ˈfaɡət/

noun: faggot; plural noun: faggots; noun: fagot; plural noun: fagots

1. a ball or roll of seasoned chopped liver, baked or fried.
2. a bundle of sticks bound together as fuel.
a bundle of iron rods bound together for reheating, welding, and hammering into bars.

And a 'fag' is slang for a cigarette (but I know what Americans call a 'fag'). :grin:

Chris
04-23-2015, 08:08 PM

faggot ˈfaɡət/

a bundle of iron rods bound together for reheating, welding, and hammering into bars.

And a 'fag' is slang for a cigarette (but I know what Americans call a 'fag'). :grin:

Where are you from?

Green Arrow
04-23-2015, 08:09 PM
BTW, Howey, if it makes you feel less oppressed or whatever the fuck your problem is this applies to many political terms. For example, one can be a communist or a Communist. The former indicates an ideological position while the latter indicates membership in a political party.

Or the difference between being a liberal and being a Democrat, or a conservative versus a Republican.

William
04-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Where are you from?

I thought everyone knew - I grew up in the UK and I live in Australia. :smiley:

PolWatch
04-23-2015, 08:22 PM

faggot ˈfaɡət/

to think....some believe we speak the same language!

Green Arrow
04-23-2015, 08:24 PM
English is a shitty language. It's lazy as hell. We basically were like, "Man, we can't think of any more words for these definitions. Let's just add them on to some other word."

So you've got words like love - no special word for the varied different types of love.

A pair of pants does not mean the same thing as a pair of shoes.

Meh.

Dr. Who
04-23-2015, 08:25 PM
I believe that the question has been answered, however the essence of libertarianism in America can be conveyed in two statements.
Non-authoritarian.
Minimal government beyond that quantified in the the pre-amendment Constitution.

Beyond that libertarianism can either be left or right oriented, either supporting a free market without undue government legislation and interference, and allowing communities to decide their own regulatory preferences on a local level, or moving left, communitarian where the local community tends to share resources and labor voluntarily (i.e. voluntarism) again without federal or even state government intervention.

There are many variations on the theme, but all eschew statist intervention into the affairs of communities i.e central planning and federal coercion.

This is distinguished from the Libertarian party which while espousing some libertarian ideology is corrupted by the very statist political system and ideology in which it wants to operate.

Hope I mostly got that right Chris and others.

Chris
04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
I believe that the question has been answered, however the essence of libertarianism in America can be conveyed in two statements.
Non-authoritarian.
Minimal government beyond that quantified in the the pre-amendment Constitution.

Beyond that libertarianism can either be left or right oriented, either supporting a free market without undue government legislation and interference, and allowing communities to decide their own regulatory preferences on a local level, or moving left, communitarian where the local community tends to share resources and labor voluntarily (i.e. voluntarism) again without federal or even state government intervention.

There are many variations on the theme, but all eschew statist intervention into the affairs of communities i.e central planning and federal coercion.

This is distinguished from the Libertarian party which while espousing some libertarian ideology is corrupted by the very statist political system and ideology in which it wants to operate.

Hope I mostly got that right Chris and others.

Yea. There's many ways to describe libertarianism.

Minimal government, maximum liberty.

Which will confuse things because that principle is also a Libertarian slogan.

Chris
04-23-2015, 08:37 PM
“If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.”
― Ronald Reagan

PolWatch
04-23-2015, 08:38 PM
slogans....meh

Dr. Who
04-23-2015, 08:40 PM
“If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals — if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.”
― Ronald Reagan
Were that actually applied to those who cleave ideologically left or right, a portion of the right would be left and a portion of the left would be right.

Mr. Right
04-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Were that actually applied to those who cleave ideologically left or right, a portion of the right would be left and a portion of the left would be right.

Over a year here, and I couldn't agree more.

Green Arrow
04-23-2015, 08:47 PM
― Ronald Reagan

Reagan seems to be saying that he was neither conservative nor libertarian.

PolWatch
04-23-2015, 08:49 PM
politicians speak in parables...you can hear what you want to hear but you can't pin them down on what they said...

Chris
04-23-2015, 08:52 PM

True if you look at political ideology only in a single dimension. Libertarianism requires moving beyond that.

http://i.snag.gy/1CSML.jpg

Chris
04-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Like any politicians he seeks the center.

Captain Obvious
04-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Capital L libertarian is a real political party. See their platform here (https://www.lp.org/platform).

Simple.

In PA, I was a registered libertarian.

Mr. Right
04-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Yes, Mr. Arrow of the green hue, Reagan did say in no uncertain terms that "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, they left me."

Chris
04-23-2015, 09:17 PM

I was a Libertarian till they went national, oh, a dozen years ago or so.

Green Arrow
04-23-2015, 09:18 PM

In L.A., I was a registered pie-bertarian.

Did that make sense to you?

Me either.

I need to go to bed.

Mr. Right
04-23-2015, 09:29 PM
In L.A., I was a registered pie-bertarian.

Did that make sense to you?

Me either.

I need to go to bed.

I'm about a half a cocktail behind you. See y'all tommorrow.

Howey
04-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Durn durnks!

Tahuyaman
04-23-2015, 11:07 PM

Simple.

i know several people who believe in the libertarian philosophies, but can't support the Libertarian party.

I dont see see what's so difficult to understand with that?