PDA

View Full Version : A Return to the Peace Party

Chris
04-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Advice to Republicans, return to the day of the Party of Peace.

A Return to the Peace Party (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/a-return-to-the-peace-party/)

http://i.snag.gy/wpckh.jpg

A few weeks ago, I spoke to about 200 people at the famous Willard Hotel in Washington in a program put on by the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce. I had been told that this was a group of CEOs and owners of major companies in Southern California, obviously a very upper-income group.

I got to a point in my speech where I said: “It is long past the time when we need to stop trying to run the whole world and start putting our own people and our own Country first once again.”

Much to my surprise, the audience broke into applause. Middle- and lower-income groups have applauded when I have said similar things in my district and around the country. But many upper-income people claim to be moderates, and, contrary to popular belief, conservatives lose most very wealthy areas two-to-one or worse.

I have spoken to a very wide variety of groups in Washington, around the country, and in my district, and I have gotten an overwhelmingly positive response every time I have said that it has been a horrible mistake to spend trillions on unnecessary wars in the Middle East.

When I was a teenager, I remember reading a publication from the Republican National Committee that said, “Democrats start wars, Republicans end them.”

There was a time, until recent years, that the Republican Party could make a legitimate claim to being the Peace Party....

The Xl
04-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Both parties are completely bought off at this point. It's not happening

The Sage of Main Street
04-24-2015, 03:25 PM

A Return to the Peace Party (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/a-return-to-the-peace-party/) The Willard Hotel? Harry Potter got his wizard; the TeaPotters can't shake off their Willard.

Chris
04-24-2015, 03:36 PM
The Willard Hotel? Harry Potter got his wizard; the TeaPotters can't shake off their Willard.

http://i.snag.gy/dGxb1.jpg

nic34
04-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost) of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities.

It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushel) of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer) with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chance_for_Peace_speech#cite_note-WaPoOpEd-1)[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chance_for_Peace_speech#cite_note-5)

President Dwight D. Eisenhower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chance_for_Peace_speech

PolWatch
04-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Ike was right: ‘God help the Nation when it has a President who doesn’t know as much about the military as I do.’”

Common Sense
04-24-2015, 03:50 PM
The last great Republican president. Probably ever.

PolWatch
04-24-2015, 03:51 PM
I think the only president since Ike that has served was George H W Bush. Little George pretended he served but I don't count partying and campaigning in the Alabama National Guard as active duty.

nic34
04-24-2015, 04:21 PM
i think the only president since ike that has served was george h w bush. Little george pretended he served but i don't count partying and campaigning in the alabama national guard as active duty.

j f k

PolWatch
04-24-2015, 04:22 PM
j f k

yer right...my brain died sometime today....

Mac-7
04-24-2015, 04:38 PM
I think its fair to say republicans have always wanted peace and still want peace.

But the world is a violent and aggressive place.

To think that all we need to do is renounce war is just silly.

Mac-7
04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Did someone say that only bush41 served?

Not even close.

JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Carter and Bush43 all served.

PolWatch
04-24-2015, 04:44 PM
yeap...she already admitted brain death

Chris
04-24-2015, 05:03 PM
I think its fair to say republicans have always wanted peace and still want peace.

But the world is a violent and aggressive place.

To think that all we need to do is just renounce war is just silly.

And so to conclude you establishment neocons want war.

Creating war is sillier.

Howey
04-24-2015, 05:06 PM

A Return to the Peace Party (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/a-return-to-the-peace-party/)

Why do you keep quoting Libertarian slash libertarians when you claim not to be one?

Chris
04-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Why do you keep quoting Libertarian slash libertarians when you claim not to be one?

I'm libertarian, howey, don't make things up.

Boris The Animal
04-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Ike was a RINO through and through. His stances only encouraged more Soviet aggression, not less. Only the great Ronald Reagan proved Peace through Strength worked!

Howey
04-24-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm libertarian, howey, don't make things up.
Really?

I was a Libertarian till they went national, oh, a dozen years ago or so.

Chris
04-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Really?

Yes, really, Howey. Not my problem you don't get the difference between party and principles. even after several people explained it to you.

Chris
04-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Ike was a RINO through and through. His stances only encouraged more Soviet aggression, not less. Only the great Ronald Reagan proved Peace through Strength worked!

It was a different era. Besides, the Soviets defeated themselves economically because you can centrally plan an economy.

Common
04-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I think the only president since Ike that has served was George H W Bush. Little George pretended he served but I don't count partying and campaigning in the Alabama National Guard as active duty.

JFK served

Howey
04-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Yes, really, Howey. Not my problem you don't get the difference between party and principles. even after several people explained it to you.

lt's simple. You said you're not a libertarian. Period. Plus you failed to answer my full question.

Chris
04-25-2015, 06:24 AM
lt's simple. You said you're not a libertarian. Period. Plus you failed to answer my full question.

I said I am a libertarian. Why are you lying, Howey? You're embarrassing yourself by refusing to see the difference between libertarian principles and Libertarian Party. You're also hijacking an interesting thread with your silliness.

The Sage of Main Street
04-25-2015, 09:08 AM
http://i.snag.gy/dGxb1.jpg
Whatever Rom says,
Whatever Rom means,
It's smarter than
The guy wearing
Mom jeans!

The Sage of Main Street
04-25-2015, 09:21 AM
It was a different era. Besides, the Soviets defeated themselves economically because you can't centrally plan an economy. The Wall St. Politburo centrally plans ours, with the same destructive results.

Chris
04-25-2015, 10:26 AM
You have to love the way some people deliberately trash threads.

Howey
04-25-2015, 11:13 AM
I said I am a libertarian. Why are you lying, Howey? You're embarrassing yourself by refusing to see the difference between libertarian principles and Libertarian Party. You're also hijacking an interesting thread with your silliness.

You have to love the way some people deliberately trash threads.

Oh look! Another bad faith post, Dr. Who!
Chris I posted the thread where you said you were no longer a libertarian.

It's not my fault you "libertarians" have to hide behind the coattails of Republicans because your numbers (250k) will never, ever gain respect or credibility in our political system. The Republicans laugh at you and consider your ilk annoying and a nuisance.

The libertarian goal of turning over government functions to the states was rejected hundreds of years ago. It won't work.

Chris
04-25-2015, 11:19 AM
You're confusing Libertarian and libertarian still.

Dr. Who
04-25-2015, 11:38 AM
The quote is from a old time Republican who longs for a return to old Republican party values - one that is far less anxious to interfere militarily around the planet.

Dr. Who
04-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Oh look! Another bad faith post, @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612)!
@Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128) I posted the thread where you said you were no longer a libertarian.

It's not my fault you "libertarians" have to hide behind the coattails of Republicans because your numbers (250k) will never, ever gain respect or credibility in our political system. The Republicans laugh at you and consider your ilk annoying and a nuisance.

The libertarian goal of turning over government functions to the states was rejected hundreds of years ago. It won't work.
Howey, he said he was no longer a Libertarian, as in a member of that party, not that he is no longer a believer in libertarian (small L) values. Just like someone can be a democrat as in a believer in democratic values, but not a Democrat - the political party.

Howey
04-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Howey, he said he was no longer a Libertarian, as in a member of that party, not that he is no longer a believer in libertarian (small L) values. Just like someone can be a democrat as in a believer in democratic values, but not a Democrat - the political party.

Yet you ignore his insults.

*sigh*

Chris
04-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Yet you ignore his insults.

*sigh*

I have not insulted you, howey, why do you make that up?

Howey
04-25-2015, 01:12 PM
i have not insulted you, howey, why do you make that up?
liar

PolWatch
04-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Oh look! Another bad faith post, @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612)!
@Chris (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=128) I posted the thread where you said you were no longer a libertarian.

Discussion/Questions about mod actions should be addressed via PM. Continued discussion in the open forum will result in infractions

Chris
04-25-2015, 01:19 PM
liar

I have not insulted you, howey, don't go making things up.

PolWatch
04-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Please Take Personal Issues/Arguments to the PM Function. The topic is the Peace Party.

Chris
04-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Yes, it is, so let's all remember it was Ike who, Farewell Address, 1961, pointed out the dangers of the military industrial complex.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

PolWatch
04-25-2015, 01:48 PM
I have always thought it interesting that a president who was also a general was the one who warned about the military/industrial complex. Today he would called a wimp because he didn't try to impress anyone with his bravery or willingness to send people to die.

Chris
04-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Remember is was Marine Major General Smedley Butler before him who said "War is a racket!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_EXqJ8f-0

PolWatch
04-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Interesting that so many men who know war first hand are sometimes the loudest to counsel peace.

1932 right wing industrialist plan to overthrow the government....haven't heard of that one before.

Ransom
04-26-2015, 06:35 AM
I have not insulted you, howey, why do you make that up?

Because he's a victim's mentality, always must act like he's being attacked or mistreated. One of Lockstep's students.

Ransom
04-26-2015, 06:37 AM
It's the military industrial complex, it's evil money in politics, it's the hate for women and gays.

You Fascists need new material.

PolWatch
04-26-2015, 06:39 AM
no problem...once the meds kick in, those delusions will disappear....

Ransom
04-26-2015, 06:49 AM
When does this supposed independent thinking kick in, Lockstep? Left, left, left right left.:biglaugh:

PolWatch
04-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Ransom - fun is fun....but I suggest you read rule #2....it applies to all posters. Searching the posts of one person in multiple threads to attack them is not considered good faith.

Ransom
04-26-2015, 07:38 AM
@Ransom (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=724) - fun is fun....but I suggest you read rule #2....it applies to all posters. Searching the posts of one person in multiple threads to attack them is not considered good faith.

I find this post odd. "Fun" is all I'm having here rather than 'searching posts.' I'm responding firstly to the most recent posts in any thread, secondly, I'm attacking the Sh1t out of arguments, not membership. But, to make sure that is crystal clear to those with a kneejerk I'm being singled out mentality(and I do speak to mentalities rather than the attempt to mock members with such nonsense as... oh...' need your meds?') I'll start using the word, argument or policy. For example. I firmly believe your statements via text in here, PolWatch, carry the distinguished stench of victimization. A chip on the shoulder attitude and in lockstep with the Democrat party...... that your arguments and statements meanwhile attempt to deny association with. And I'm going to seek out and destroy such sheepish drivel... with better sounding argument and text..... cause we're in an anonymous irrelevant talk forum why would anyone take such a venue personally? Or feel like they're being attacked? What garden variety tulip mentalities are we producing today, who is in f'n charge?

That better?

Ransom
04-26-2015, 07:39 AM
And for the love of God.

donttread
04-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Both parties are completely bought off at this point. It's not happening

If we want peace we must kill the megacorps and bring manufacturing back

Howey
04-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Because he's a victim's mentality, always must act like he's being attacked or mistreated. One of Lockstep's students.

Far from it troll.

Chris
04-26-2015, 10:28 AM

When does this supposed independent thinking kick in, Lockstep? Left, left, left right left.:biglaugh:

I find this post odd. "Fun" is all I'm having here rather than 'searching posts.' I'm responding firstly to the most recent posts in any thread, secondly, I'm attacking the Sh1t out of arguments, not membership. But, to make sure that is crystal clear to those with a kneejerk I'm being singled out mentality(and I do speak to mentalities rather than the attempt to mock members with such nonsense as... oh...' need your meds?') I'll start using the word, argument or policy. For example. I firmly believe your statements via text in here, PolWatch, carry the distinguished stench of victimization. A chip on the shoulder attitude and in lockstep with the Democrat party...... that your arguments and statements meanwhile attempt to deny association with. And I'm going to seek out and destroy such sheepish drivel... with better sounding argument and text..... cause we're in an anonymous irrelevant talk forum why would anyone take such a venue personally? Or feel like they're being attacked? What garden variety tulip mentalities are we producing today, who is in f'n charge?

That better?

@Ransom (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=724), stop the trolling insults. Get back to topic.

donttread
04-26-2015, 10:55 AM

YOU accusing anyone of marching in lockstep is hypocritical , funny and sad all at the same time

PolWatch
04-26-2015, 10:59 AM
The OP has reminded me of Ike...reading more of his speeches, etc. I am reminded of the differences in the following presidents. I'm not saying he was worship-worthy but when we think of those who have followed him....no comparison.

Bo-4
04-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Not gonna happen, but fantastic concept.

Chris
04-26-2015, 11:17 AM
As the country goes broke in debt, it'll happen. Or we'll break up the way the Soviet Union did.

nic34
04-26-2015, 01:19 PM

That better?

How is it possible you still have positive rep?

Ivan88
04-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Any advocates of peace that take Eisenhower as their hero is not really interested in peace. That guy, despite his window dressings, was a man who deliberately starved millions of Germans and refugees after the war supposedly ended, lied about General Patton, sent millions to their death in Soviet slave labor camps, and deliberately, with malice afore thought, had over a million surrendered German soldiers killed by exposure and starvation. On top of that he held up the US advance on Berlin so that the Russians could take it along with the rocket science & production complex.
Then there is his vicious bombing campaigns in Korea, and murderous political police attacks on Korean civilians

Chris
04-26-2015, 02:47 PM
War is hell. We never learn.

donttread
04-26-2015, 05:09 PM
I asked a history buff if any war had been initiated because a society as a whole needed resources to live vs. leadership greed. The only example he could throw out off the top of his head was Mongols

Ransom
04-26-2015, 06:23 PM
How is it possible you still have positive rep?

Honesty and integrity, why?

Ransom
04-26-2015, 06:24 PM
I asked a history buff if any war had been initiated because a society as a whole needed resources to live vs. leadership greed. The only example he could throw out off the top of his head was Mongols

Russians of WW2

Ransom
04-26-2015, 06:25 PM
The Brits in WW1. We just had ANZAC Day.

Chris
04-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Honesty and integrity, why?

Nic asked a question about you, ransom.

Ransom
04-27-2015, 06:17 AM
Nic asked a question about you, ransom.

Is that a talking fence?

Ransom
04-27-2015, 06:17 AM
Oh. It's you. Hi Chris.

PolWatch
04-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Ransom is banned from this Thread. Please do not respond to his posts.

The Sage of Main Street
04-27-2015, 08:35 AM
You have to love the way some people deliberately trash threads. You tangle threads through turning loose stray dogmas on posters who think your gurus' theories are pointers.

This Non-Interventionism is a ploy to set up the re-introduction of the Cold War dogfight against Russia and China. Willard even said that the main enemy is Russia.

The GOPer junior varsity's disingenuous barking at the Neo-Condis is based on the irrelevant fact that Islam is not a monolith. The latest preppy puppy yapping is that each milkbone Muzzie country is no threat to us anyway and that intervening will only get us caught in sectarian crossfires.

Though far more mature than the spoiled conceited brats who keep claiming to be new and improved, not like those "other" guys, President Eisenhower betrayed England, France, and Israel during the 1956 Suez War when he supported the Egyptians out of fear that they would become friends of the Soviet Union otherwise. But that appeasement just encouraged Nasser to go Russian anyway. Simple-minded policies lead to inextricable tangles.