PDA

View Full Version : To what extent is the president a figure head?

donttread
04-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Green Arrow's response to one of my post on the Rubio thread got me thinking. We all love to bitch about or defend the president. However, how much power and overall say does he really have?
I realize that they are not pure figure heads like the Queen of England and do carry some clout. However, I also realize that , like a quarterback, we give them too much blame when things go poorly and too much credit when things go well.(Yes once upon a time that did happen)
The office certainly serves as a champion for ideas , has veto power, military power and the public's ear. But the office also has limited power . IMO, the POTUS's power is probably about half way between the public's opinion of the power he wields and being a pure figure head.
More specifically to what extent has the POTUS become another distraction for the whole Donkephant? A bright shiny object screaming "LOOK AT ME OVER HEAR" while the "two major parties" collectively destroy us through corruption and incompetence?

Peter1469
04-26-2015, 06:39 PM
The president is not a figure head. But most executive power relates to foreign policy, not domestic policy.

Captain Obvious
04-26-2015, 06:42 PM
The president is not a figure head. But most executive power relates to foreign policy, not domestic policy.

Wild Bill was a figure head, just ask Monica.

Ransom
04-27-2015, 06:25 AM

Until 2009.

texan
04-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Pretty much a duplicate thread.................

donttread
04-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Pretty much a duplicate thread.................

Duplicate of what thread?

Polecat
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
JFK disobeyed the masters.

Ivan88
04-29-2015, 01:01 PM
When Ronald Reagan was running for President, He said that the national debt of 300 billion was a major threat that must be reduced.
Shortly after being elected, the Secret Service shot him in his limosine. He survived, but with a serious attitude adjustment.
When he was about to leave office, he said, "This has been the greatest acting role of my career."

donttread
04-29-2015, 03:03 PM
I thought the government only shot presidents who directly threatened the FED?

Professor Peabody
04-29-2015, 05:42 PM
I don't know about figure head, but the one we have right now sure is a bone head.

The Xl
04-29-2015, 05:47 PM
JFK disobeyed the masters.

This. Every President since him has been 100% figurehead.

Banks and corporate America aren't propping up politicians with money and media for their health, they're doing it to rule by proxy. And these puppets do it for the fame and glory that comes with it.

Ivan88
05-01-2015, 03:00 AM
For anyone having trouble comprehending how the President and Congress could be controlled:
Just imagine, if you had access to unlimited funds from the US Printing bureau, would you use it to control things?

Redrose
05-01-2015, 03:04 AM
Green Arrow's response to one of my post on the Rubio thread got me thinking. We all love to bitch about or defend the president. However, how much power and overall say does he really have?
I realize that they are not pure figure heads like the Queen of England and do carry some clout. However, I also realize that , like a quarterback, we give them too much blame when things go poorly and too much credit when things go well.(Yes once upon a time that did happen)
The office certainly serves as a champion for ideas , has veto power, military power and the public's ear. But the office also has limited power . IMO, the POTUS's power is probably about half way between the public's opinion of the power he wields and being a pure figure head.
More specifically to what extent has the POTUS become another distraction for the whole Donkephant? A bright shiny object screaming "LOOK AT ME OVER HEAR" while the "two major parties" collectively destroy us through corruption and incompetence?

I believe the president is powerful, look what BHO is doing with his pen and phone. He is throwing a curve ball to the Congress and usurping their power.

The Queen of England has basically no power, she is a titular monarch...in name only. The PM and Parliament call the shots.

Amerikanski
05-02-2015, 12:10 PM
The Queen of England has basically no power, she is a titular monarch...in name only. The PM and Parliament call the shots.
And who is telling "The PM and Parliament" what to do?