PDA

View Full Version : Federal Investigation of Lance Armstrong Proceeding

Conley
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Federal prosecutors are asking a judge to rule that Lance Armstrong's attorneys have no right to see a court filing that offers "extensive details" about a grand jury investigation into allegations the cyclist used performance-enhancing drugs.

Wednesday's filing asks U.S. District Judge Jacqueline Nguyen to keep a government filing sealed and to not order prosecutors to file a redacted copy because it would allow Armstrong's attorneys to speculate on the grand jury's work.

Armstrong's attorneys filed a motion in July, claiming leaks in the grand jury inquiry have sullied the reputation of the seven-time Tour de France winner. The initial filing, which was left unsealed, claimed some of the material reported by The Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, New York Times and others could have only come from government officials forbidden under law from discussing the proceedings.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/6892710/feds-ask-judge-keep-lance-armstrong-filing-secret

Looks like Lance is going to be headed for a big fall too. I question why the government is so intent on pursuing these sorts of cases. Basically he just used illegal drugs, correct? So why make it such an expensive investigation? I think he's a cheat and a jerk, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Wasn't there a period of time when "performance-enhancing drugs" were common throughout sports?

Anyway, this is like gay marriage in the sense that the managerial elite are pretending to do something meaningful. They have been ineffectual regarding more important matters so they go after these guys. It's a distraction.

Conley
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Wasn't there a period of time when "performance-enhancing drugs" were common throughout sports?

Anyway, this is like gay marriage in the sense that the managerial elite are pretending to do something meaningful. They have been ineffectual regarding more important matters so they go after these guys. It's a distraction.

Yes, everyone was doping in cycling during this time. The only difference was Armstrong didn't get caught.

I wonder how the government justifies these kinds of investigations. Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Armstrong...these investigations have cost millions I believe. To what end? Even if they claim they are making an example of these people, it's not as if blood doping and EPO injections is a big threat to our children or our society. It's just bizarre. Realistically I suppose you are right in that it is an intentional distraction by the government. That and also that if you lie to the feds they will hunt you down, no exceptions.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 12:45 PM

Yes, everyone was doping in cycling during this time. The only difference was Armstrong didn't get caught.

I wonder how the government justifies these kinds of investigations. Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Armstrong...these investigations have cost millions I believe. To what end? Even if they claim they are making an example of these people, it's not as if blood doping and EPO injections is a big threat to our children or our society. It's just bizarre. Realistically I suppose you are right in that it is an intentional distraction by the government. That and also that if you lie to the feds they will hunt you down, no exceptions.

That's a good point as well. If you lie brazenly and the truth comes out you are probably hoping against hope for a pass.

MMC
08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
You would think our government would have better things to do with their time. Give me a break. A cyclist and that this is such a pressing case.

Conley
08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
You would think our government would have better things to do with their time. Give me a break. A cyclist and that this is such a pressing case.

Yeah exactly. Meanwhile the guys at the heart of the mortgage scams walk away scott free.

Pendragon
08-25-2011, 05:27 PM

How is this like gay marriage?

Mister D
08-25-2011, 06:08 PM

I just told you.

Conley
08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Did someone get told ??? :o

Pendragon
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM

I just told you.

What do you mean they are pretending to do something meaningful?

Expand on this if you will.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 06:22 PM

I just told you.

What do you mean they are pretending to do something meaningful?

Expand on this if you will.

Gay marriage is inane and a transparent attempt by gay activists to achieve social acceptance. The attempt by our managers to transform something so inane into a civil rights struggle is not only insulting but it also reveals how far our managers are from doing anything meaningful. As for athletes doping up, instead of addressing this non-issue our managers should be fixing real problems.

Pendragon
08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
So your position is that gays should not be socially acceptable?

What happened to love thy neighbor?

It absolutely is a civil rights issue. Gays have been discriminated against for years and it is time to end that. Other countries are far ahead of the United States in that respect. It is of no concern to you if I choose to marry my partner.

Mister D
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
So your position is that gays should not be socially acceptable?

What happened to love thy neighbor?

It absolutely is a civil rights issue. Gays have been discriminated against for years and it is time to end that. Other countries are far ahead of the United States in that respect. It is of no concern to you if I choose to marry my partner.

Is it? Secondly, my personal views of gays are immaterial.

Way ahead? Really? No, the European managerial class plays the same games as our own. Gay marriage is inane. There is a reason why no society in human history has ever had same sex marriages until very recently. Hint: because gay marriages are manifestly ridiculous. So they concoct this as a civil rights issue and as a genuine accomplished. The sheep swallow it whole.

Conley
08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Weird how every thread ends up being about gay marriage. :D

Anyhow, it is looking like the federal prosecution of two other steroid abusers, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, are going to end up with the accused not even spending jail time. The prosecutors messed up with Clemens and it was tossed on a mistrial. Bonds they were only able to pin one charge on that will probably lead to home confinement if anything. So all those taxpayer dollars and federal man hours wasted and the Feds couldn't even win their court cases against guys who were obviously lying and juicing.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Weird how every thread ends up being about gay marriage. :D

Anyhow, it is looking like the federal prosecution of two other steroid abusers, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, are going to end up with the accused not even spending jail time. The prosecutors messed up with Clemens and it was tossed on a mistrial. Bonds they were only able to pin one charge on that will probably lead to home confinement if anything. So all those taxpayer dollars and federal man hours wasted and the Feds couldn't even win their court cases against guys who were obviously lying and juicing.

Whatever charges they are gonna try and pin on Bonds they should try to pin to his head. Can't miss... ;)

Conley
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
http://latenightdebates.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/bonds.jpg

;D

Mister D
08-27-2011, 03:19 PM
http://latenightdebates.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/bonds.jpg

;D

Wow. I understand my they do this stuff and I probably would too but I would not be surprised if you are taking a decade or more off of your life.

Conley
08-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Yep it seems like quite a cost to pay. The thing that separates Bonds is that he was already really, really good without steroids. I guess some people are just geared that way to win at all costs. He was known as quite a prick too.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Yep it seems like quite a cost to pay. The thing that separates Bonds is that he was already really, really good without steroids. I guess some people are just geared that way to win at all costs. He was known as quite a prick too.

I doubt the "Roid Rage" improved his personality. ::)

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I was not the one who brough up gay marriage in this message thread. It looks like the subject was taken off topic in only the second post. Regardless of fact I do believe such discourse is constructive and enlightening even if we are in disagreement.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
It's rare that we stay on topic for long anyway. It's one drawback of not having a moderated forum.

Conley
08-27-2011, 06:04 PM
It's rare that we stay on topic for long anyway. It's one drawback of not having a moderated forum.

I actually think it's a positive, but then again my posting style is more ADHD so...yeah. What was the topic again? ;D

On a more serious note I guess if people wanted we could ask for a special section with that style...I think that's how some other sites work.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 06:12 PM

I actually think it's a positive, but then again my posting style is more ADHD so...yeah. What was the topic again? ;D

On a more serious note I guess if people wanted we could ask for a special section with that style...I think that's how some other sites work.

As far as I'm concerned, if the originator of a thread asks me to stay on topic I will. Otherwise, I don;t care where the conversation goes.

Yeah, we could do that.

MMC
08-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah we know one of those type of sites.....doesnt really work when in conversations with liberal elites. Topic always ends up going off on some tangent or some other semantic. yet they want to think for other people. bah-humbug! >:D