PDA

View Full Version : 'Brokeback Mountain' Writers to Pen Film Based on Father's Cross Country Walk in the

TrueBlue
05-02-2015, 01:00 PM
'Brokeback Mountain' Writers to Pen Film Based on Father's Cross Country Walk in the Wake of Gay Son's Suicide
By Kyler Geoffroy

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/05/brokeback-mountain-writers-to-pen-film-based-on-joe-bells-cross-country-walk-in-the-wake-of-gay-sons.html

"A drama based on the true story of Joe Bell, the Oregon father who began a trek across the country to educate young people about the effects of bullying and homophobia after his 15-year-old son Jadin hanged himself in early 2013 (http://www.towleroad.com/2013/02/bullied-gay-teen-who-hanged-himself-dies.html), is currently being penned by Brokeback Mountain screenwriters Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, Deadline reports (http://deadline.com/2015/04/cary-fukunaga-brokeback-mountain-scribes-team-for-a24s-first-original-movie-1201418608/)"

===================================

Thanks to Towleroad for this report. This story concerning Jadin Bell and his dad, Joe, is most touching. Jadin had gone through so much in school being teased, taunted, bullied, and worse on an almost daily basis until he could take no more and all due to his sexual orientation. One day he hung himself brought about by the extreme pain he was suffering from all of that abuse. After his passing, his dad Joe decided to go on a cross-country trip to bring attention to the plight of those who are bullied as well as to speak about the pervasive effects of homophobia due to sexual orientation. They were both awesome people who have really opened the eyes of many throughout the world. May God bless them both.

Captain Obvious
05-02-2015, 02:01 PM
I'll wait until it comes out on reel-to-reel.

Question to other tPF members, is this a movie that you'd go see if you weren't gay? Just curious.

I think BBM got some cult popularity because it was the first notable commercial gay based film. It got a lot of meme attention too, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's a demand for this in mainstream culture.

I'm not anywhere near mainstream so I wouldn't know.

Howey
05-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Question to other tPF members, is this a movie that you'd go see if you weren't gay? Just curious.

I think BBM got some cult popularity because it was the first notable commercial gay based film. It got a lot of meme attention too, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there's a demand for this in mainstream culture.

It also smashed stereotypes of gay males and provided an insight into the good and bad of being gay and societal attitudes towards homosexuals.

Mister D
05-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Yeah, the gay cowboy shattered stereotypes. lol

Captain Obvious
05-02-2015, 03:09 PM
It also smashed stereotypes of gay males and provided an insight into the good and bad of being gay and societal attitudes towards homosexuals.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I guess you don't recall all the Brokeback Mountain jokes.

Howey
05-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I guess you don't recall all the Brokeback Mountain jokes.

Of course I do. Homophobes were uncomfortable seeing themselves on the screen, hence they tried to brush it off with snide bad faith comments. See below.

Yeah, the gay cowboy shattered stereotypes. lol

Chris
05-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Of course I do. Homophobes were uncomfortable seeing themselves on the screen, hence they tried to brush it off with snide bad faith comments. See below.

Let's not try to make this about religion!

Mister D
05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

That's bad faith? The whole butch queer stereotype seems to have eluded you over the years. That could be because you are the stereotypical feminine homosexual. Newsflash: there is more than one gay stereotype.

Captain Obvious
05-02-2015, 05:23 PM
That's bad faith? The whole butch queer stereotype seems to have eluded you over the years. That could be because you are the stereotypical feminine homosexual. Newsflash: there is more than one gay stereotype.

I personally don't know any lesbians (knowingly) who don't look like chubby Pete Rose's.

I know a couple too, 3 actually.

Mister D
05-02-2015, 05:24 PM
I personally don't know any lesbians (knowingly) who don't look like chubby Pete Rose's.

No such thing as a Howard Stern lesbian in real life. You'll find hot chicks who will be with another woman but they're not gay.

The Xl
05-02-2015, 05:26 PM
This thread is gay

Peter1469
05-02-2015, 06:14 PM
No such thing as a Howard Stern lesbian in real life. You'll find hot chicks who will be with another woman but they're not gay.

I disagree. At least in New Orleans.

Captain Obvious
05-02-2015, 06:59 PM
I disagree. At least in New Orleans.

Must be the crawfish

PattyHill
05-02-2015, 07:06 PM

I'm not gay, but this movie looks pretty interesting; I would watch it.

I wouldn't go to a theater because we very rarely go to the theater - too far away and too pricey - but I would be interested in watching when it came out on netflix or whatever.

Crying Game was also commercial. How about Midnight Cowboy?

PattyHill
05-02-2015, 07:07 PM

Wow. What a stupid comment. Ellen Degeneres looks like a chubby Pete Rose to you?

I know lots of lesbians, and they range across all body types.

But if you want to just be a jerk, you succeeded.

Howey
05-02-2015, 07:18 PM

Chris
05-02-2015, 07:27 PM

!

Green Arrow
05-02-2015, 07:36 PM
I'll pass.

PolWatch
05-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Please keep the discussion civil...no name calling

Captain Obvious
05-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Wow. What a stupid comment. Ellen Degeneres looks like a chubby Pete Rose to you?

I know lots of lesbians, and they range across all body types.

But if you want to just be a jerk, you succeeded.

I don't know Ellen Degeneres, personally.

I know who I know, sorry if you don't like my population of lesbian acquaintances.

Captain Obvious
05-02-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm not gay, but this movie looks pretty interesting; I would watch it.

I wouldn't go to a theater because we very rarely go to the theater - too far away and too pricey - but I would be interested in watching when it came out on netflix or whatever.

Crying Game was also commercial. How about Midnight Cowboy?

Never heard of either of them.

@Howey (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=387) wants to believe that this movie (or these movies) redefine or bring recognition to the gay community, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle to be honest.

There's been a gay films segment readily available on Netflix and other streaming services, I scroll through them sometimes just for fun. Netflix has a shit movie selection so why not. I still think the gay film industry is heavily niched and far from the mainstream.

I think the average joe doesn't want to go get caught up in a movie over a political agenda, especially guys (hetero, the majority of the guy movie going population). We want to see tits, shit blowing up and monsters.

Howey
05-02-2015, 08:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that people have never heard of an Academy award winning that nearly two hundred million people have seen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokeback_Mountain

PattyHill
05-02-2015, 09:29 PM

@Howey (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=387) wants to believe that this movie (or these movies) redefine or bring recognition to the gay community, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle to be honest.

There's been a gay films segment readily available on Netflix and other streaming services, I scroll through them sometimes just for fun. Netflix has a $#@! movie selection so why not. I still think the gay film industry is heavily niched and far from the mainstream.

I think the average joe doesn't want to go get caught up in a movie over a political agenda, especially guys (hetero, the majority of the guy movie going population). We want to see tits, $#@! blowing up and monsters.

That's interesting, since I've heard conservatives in other forums complain that gays/lesbians are "thrusting their agenda on all of us" in tv and films.

It probably depends on the topic being discussed.

I'm glad we have a wide variety of movies available to us. I'm thrilled when gay/lesbian characters are included in mainstream movies rather than being pigeon-holed into "gay movies"

I forgot to mention "la cage aux folles" - awesome movie about acceptance!

TrueBlue
05-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I find it hard to believe that people have never heard of an Academy award winning that nearly two hundred million people have seen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokeback_Mountain
And people must remember that BBM did win the Best Director Award (Ang Lee) at the Oscars that year. And it was slated to also win Best Picture Of the Year except that it was said that they gave it to another movie because Hollywood didn't want to be seen as promoting Home-Oh-Sexuality with a Best Picture Award! Oh my, perish the very thought!

Howey
05-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Dem der homosexuals is takin over!

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 01:19 AM
And people must remember that BBM did win the Best Director Award (Ang Lee) at the Oscars that year. And it was slated to also win Best Picture Of the Year except that it was said that they gave it to another movie because Hollywood didn't want to be seen as promoting Home-Oh-Sexuality with a Best Picture Award! Oh my, perish the very thought!

Straight men don't know who wins the Best Movie of any year.

GrassrootsConservative
05-03-2015, 01:28 AM
Straight men don't know who wins the Best Movie of any year.

I always assume it's whatever Fast and Furious sequel is most recent.

You know they have another one coming out? Saw a trailer for it on the television.

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 01:30 AM
I always assume it's whatever Fast and Furious sequel is most recent.

You know they have another one coming out? Saw a trailer for it on the television.

I haven't seen any of them all the way through.

GrassrootsConservative
05-03-2015, 01:31 AM
I have only seen trailers. I am not interested in anything that wins any kind of award. Currently watching Tales from the Darkside on Netflix... so... yeah...

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 01:41 AM
It has been a long time since I have seen that show!

PolWatch
05-03-2015, 02:06 AM

There's been a gay films segment readily available on Netflix and other streaming services, I scroll through them sometimes just for fun. Netflix has a shit movie selection so why not. I still think the gay film industry is heavily niched and far from the mainstream.

I think the average joe doesn't want to go get caught up in a movie over a political agenda, especially guys (hetero, the majority of the guy movie going population). We want to see tits, shit blowing up and monsters.

I could not believe you had not seen Midnight Cowboy, until I realized it was released in the 60's....you young'uns! Jon Voight & Dustin Hoffman were both very young....Voight was actually cute (you probably think of him as Angelina Joline's father) & Hoffman's character was 'Ratso'....a far stretch from his role in the Graduate (another oldie). :rollseyes:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/87/Midnight_Cowboy.jpg/220px-Midnight_Cowboy.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Midnight_Cowboy.jpg)

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 02:09 AM
Never heard of it, much less saw it.

PolWatch
05-03-2015, 02:12 AM
Never heard of it, much less saw it.

yeap...young'uns! I've never seen Brokeback Mountain....old folks! :wink:

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 02:14 AM
yeap...young'uns! I've never seen Brokeback Mountain....old folks! :wink:

I have heard of BBM, and have never seen it.

Captain Obvious
05-03-2015, 04:45 AM
I could not believe you had not seen Midnight Cowboy, until I realized it was released in the 60's....you young'uns! Jon Voight & Dustin Hoffman were both very young....Voight was actually cute (you probably think of him as Angelina Joline's father) & Hoffman's character was 'Ratso'....a far stretch from his role in the Graduate (another oldie). :rollseyes:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/87/Midnight_Cowboy.jpg/220px-Midnight_Cowboy.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Midnight_Cowboy.jpg)

I've heard of Midnight Cowboy, is that was was referenced earlier in the thread?

I dig spaghetti westerns but I think this one was more of a cheezy post western western if that makes sense.

PolWatch
05-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Someone had mentioned it....I thought you were saying you had never heard of Midnight Cowboy. I guess you could describe it as a cheesy, post western, western. I actually enjoyed the movie. It was such a change for Dustin Hoffman...MC followed The Graduate. I cried at the end....wussy....but I was a lot younger.

PattyHill
05-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who saw it. Excellent movie. And of course featured the song "Everybody's Talking About Me".

For those of you worried - no, it did not glorify the gay hustler lifestyle. It was a pretty sad movie. but so well done.

Captain Obvious
05-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Someone had mentioned it....I thought you were saying you had never heard of Midnight Cowboy. I guess you could describe it as a cheesy, post western, western. I actually enjoyed the movie. It was such a change for Dustin Hoffman...MC followed The Graduate. I cried at the end....wussy....but I was a lot younger.

Cheesy =/= bad

I like extra cheese in my movies.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Well let's get back on topic again now folks. For those who want to know more about the young Jadin Bell and his dad, Joe, here is the main website. It's an excellent website with an excellent message!

FacesForChange
http://www.facesforchange.com/

Mister D
05-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Well let's get back on topic again now folks. For those who want to know more about the young Jadin Bell and his dad, Joe, here is the main website. It's an excellent website with an excellent message!

FacesForChange
http://www.facesforchange.com/

No one cares.

Mister D
05-03-2015, 06:41 PM
I saw Midnight Cowboy It was a good film.There is something about films depicting NYC in that era. I loved Taxi Driver. One of my favorite films.

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Action movies are at least exciting.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 06:46 PM
No one cares.
Just like no one cares about your hijacking this thread with the Midnight Cowboy discussion continuation.

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 06:47 PM
I thought the Dallas Buyers Club was a great movie. The screw the government theme spoke to me.

Bob
05-03-2015, 07:09 PM
'Brokeback Mountain' Writers to Pen Film Based on Father's Cross Country Walk in the Wake of Gay Son's Suicide
By Kyler Geoffroy

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/05/brokeback-mountain-writers-to-pen-film-based-on-joe-bells-cross-country-walk-in-the-wake-of-gay-sons.html

===================================

Thanks to Towleroad for this report. This story concerning Jadin Bell and his dad, Joe, is most touching. Jadin had gone through so much in school being teased, taunted, bullied, and worse on an almost daily basis until he could take no more and all due to his sexual orientation. One day he hung himself brought about by the extreme pain he was suffering from all of that abuse. After his passing, his dad Joe decided to go on a cross-country trip to bring attention to the plight of those who are bullied as well as to speak about the pervasive effects of homophobia due to sexual orientation. They were both awesome people who have really opened the eyes of many throughout the world. May God bless them both.

I told you that homosexuality is a mental illness.

So is so called Liberalism.

Bob
05-03-2015, 07:12 PM
I have heard of BBM, and have never seen it.

I saw it. If you have a cast iron stomach, you might find something to like in it.

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Just like no one cares about your hijacking this thread with the Midnight Cowboy discussion continuation.

Obviously several people care, because they've been contributing to the movie discussion.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 07:48 PM

And medical professional associations and even doctors have told the world that it isn't. They're the ones in the know about that. Not you. And your diatribes can only be a product of good ol' CONServatism fraught by truly faulty, scornful, and ragged thinking.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Obviously several people care, because they've been contributing to the movie discussion.
Which discussion? Not about the proposed Jadin Bell and his dad Joe movie. As of late this thread has been hijacked with discussion of other movies such as: Dallas Buyers Club; Midnight Cowboy; Taxi Driver; The Graduate, etc. That was what I was talking about.

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Which discussion? Not about the proposed Jadin Bell and his dad Joe movie. As of late this thread has been hijacked with discussion of other movies such as: Dallas Buyers Club; Midnight Cowboy; Taxi Driver; The Graduate, etc. That was what I was talking about.

Yep, you told Mister D that nobody cared about his topic hijack. I responded that clearly several people care, because nobody is discussing the original topic and several people are discussing the new topic.

This isn't rocket science.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Yep, you told Mister D that nobody cared about his topic hijack. I responded that clearly several people care, because nobody is discussing the original topic and several people are discussing the new topic.

This also isn't the appropriate thread for those other discussions you are talking about.

PattyHill
05-03-2015, 08:04 PM

So you are accusing LGBT people on this forum and liberals on this forum of having mental illnesses.

Is this what is considered acceptable arguments on this forum? or should I report your post? I'm asking because I'm still fairly new.

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 08:04 PM
This also isn't the appropriate thread for those other discussions you are talking about.

I think it's natural topic drift. The original topic was about a gay movie, another gay movie got brought up, and then it drifted on to other interesting movies.

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 08:20 PM
I still need to see American Sniper.

Mister D
05-03-2015, 08:21 PM
TrueBlue I didn't hijack your thread. Get over yourself. Threads have a way of evolving rapidly on forums. It's just the way it is.

Mister D
05-03-2015, 08:22 PM
I think it's natural topic drift. The original topic was about a gay movie, another gay movie got brought up, and then it drifted on to other interesting movies.

Exactly.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 08:26 PM
This "drift" that has occurred is an utter disrespect to the topic of this thread. It is about a young boy who committed suicide due to bullying and bigotry because of his sexual orientation. It is a serious topic that certainly deserves more respect than these wayward replies are showing.

Mister D
05-03-2015, 08:27 PM
This "drift" that has occurred is an utter disrespect to the topic of this thread. It is about a young boy who committed suicide due to bullying and bigotry because of his sexual orientation. It is a serious topic that certainly deserves more respect than these wayward replies are showing.

Disrespect? Seriously?

Howey
05-03-2015, 08:29 PM

I'd like to suggest another movie, from 2004. I read the book before the movie came out. A compelling, and true, coming out story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73NFnoFjOE

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 08:32 PM

I think you are far too easily offended and need to toughen up a bit. The world is not a nice place. You have to learn to deal with what it throws at you without dissolving into tears and hissy fits.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Disrespect? Seriously?
Seriously! A precious young life has been taken and that is certainly serious and nothing to be talking over with other things unbecoming.

Howey
05-03-2015, 08:36 PM
So you are accusing LGBT people on this forum and liberals on this forum of having mental illnesses.

Is this what is considered acceptable arguments on this forum? or should I report your post? I'm asking because I'm still fairly new.

It's his *cough* opinion.

The preceding was merely my opinion.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 08:37 PM
I think you are far too easily offended and need to toughen up a bit. The world is not a nice place. You have to learn to deal with what it throws at you without dissolving into tears and hissy fits.
Let's just hope that's the way people will see you and think about you when one of your loved ones pass away.

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Let's just hope that's the way people will see you and think about you when one of your loved ones pass away.

See, this is precisely what I'm talking about. Your nastiness is completely unwarranted.

Peter1469
05-03-2015, 08:53 PM
See, this is precisely what I'm talking about. Your nastiness is completely unwarranted.

It is agenda driven. Better to just ignore them.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 08:54 PM
What you sow that shall you also reap.

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 08:54 PM
What you sow that shall you also reap.

That is very true. How it applies to this discussion, I'm not certain. Unless you're saying it to yourself, in which case, that's rather odd but I suppose it's a good habit.

TrueBlue
05-03-2015, 09:02 PM
That is very true. How it applies to this discussion, I'm not certain. Unless you're saying it to yourself, in which case, that's rather odd but I suppose it's a good habit.
I am saying it directly to you. Now own it.

Green Arrow
05-03-2015, 09:14 PM
I am saying it directly to you. Now own it.

I wasn't being nasty to you, I was offering you some helpful advice. You decided to be nasty in response.

PolWatch
05-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Whoa there! The topic is about a movie that no one has seen. The subject is about the life of an LGBT person. Midnight Cowboy was brought up as one of the earliest movies that deals with the same subject. Its called progression.

This thread had the potential of discussing various movies on this subject. However, since you have insisted on restricting it what YOU think people should discuss, you have pretty much killed your own thread. Now, if you think that a thread consisting of you preaching to everyone on a given subject is interesting....enjoy speaking to yourself.

Howey
05-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Whoa there! The topic is about a movie that no one has seen. The subject is about the life of an LGBT person. Midnight Cowboy was brought up as one of the earliest movies that deals with the same subject. Its called progression.

This thread had the potential of discussing various movies on this subject. However, since you have insisted on restricting it what YOU think people should discuss, you have pretty much killed your own thread. Now, if you think that a thread consisting of you preaching to everyone on a given subject is interesting....enjoy speaking to yourself.
Like this?

The previous is merely my opinion.

Howey
05-03-2015, 11:40 PM

Or this?

I'd like to suggest another movie, from 2004. I read the book before the movie came out. A compelling, and true, coming out story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73NFnoFjOE

The previous is merely my opinion

PolWatch
05-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Looks like a good movie....I don't think Sissy Spacek has ever been in a bad movie....

Hal Jordan
05-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Seriously! A precious young life has been taken and that is certainly serious and nothing to be talking over with other things unbecoming.

Many precious young lives have been taken. Is talking about them off limits too?

Howey
05-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Here's the trailer. I think one reason the movie connected with me is the time frame correlated with my own.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rN68AxRsGZE

PolWatch
05-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Have you read Middlesex? I found it very interesting.

The novel starts with a narration by its protagonist, Cal (his masculine identity), also known as Calliope (feminine): He recounts how 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-alpha-reductase_deficiency), a recessive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(genetics)) condition, causes him to be born with female characteristics. The book continues with accounts of his family's history, starting with his paternal grandparents in their home village and ending with his father's funeral. These accounts cover the conception of Cal, his teenage years, and the discovery of his intersex condition. Throughout the book, Cal weaves his opinion of the events in hindsight and of his life after his father's funeral. Eugenides sets Middlesex in the 20th century and interjects historical elements, such as the Balkan Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars), the Nation of Islam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_of_Islam), the Watergate scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal), and the 1967 Detroit riot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot) in the story. wiki

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Many precious young lives have been taken. Is talking about them off limits too?

Wonder when liberal Hollywood makes a movie about the millions of aborted children.

PattyHill
05-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Have you read Middlesex? I found it very interesting.

The novel starts with a narration by its protagonist, Cal (his masculine identity), also known as Calliope (feminine): He recounts how 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-alpha-reductase_deficiency), a recessive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominance_(genetics)) condition, causes him to be born with female characteristics. The book continues with accounts of his family's history, starting with his paternal grandparents in their home village and ending with his father's funeral. These accounts cover the conception of Cal, his teenage years, and the discovery of his intersex condition. Throughout the book, Cal weaves his opinion of the events in hindsight and of his life after his father's funeral. Eugenides sets Middlesex in the 20th century and interjects historical elements, such as the Balkan Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars), the Nation of Islam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_of_Islam), the Watergate scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal), and the 1967 Detroit riot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot) in the story. wiki

That is an awesome book. I learned a lot from its discussion of different genetic abnormalities.

While this is a fictional character, it also shows the damage that can be done by adults trying to fit kids into a certain role.

So back to the op - in other threads, some posters say the thing to do is to teach kids that being gay is wrong and somehow channeling them into the "proper" - i.e. straight - channel. The op shows the damage - the abuse - this causes kids in the real world.

Luckily, the people who feel that was are getting fewer or fewer. I can only hope those who show such hate on this board aren't around children who might be different from what those haters thing the norm should be.

If the film in the op gets made, it could be eye-opening.

Of course, I also hope we see films where being LGBT doesn't make people miserable; like La Cage Aux Folles as one example. Or the gay/lesbian characters that are in shows and movies these days. Because - it is getting better; and many LGBT people are living their lives just fine, not tormented.

PolWatch
05-04-2015, 08:35 AM
All movies reflect the agenda of the creators. 50's movies were an idealized representation of life, 60's started to show a more realistic version. I think all should be viewed with a measure of cynicism.

Bob
05-04-2015, 10:24 AM
And medical professional associations and even doctors have told the world that it isn't. They're the ones in the know about that. Not you. And your diatribes can only be a product of good ol' CONServatism fraught by truly faulty, scornful, and ragged thinking.

Mental illness does not mean you are stark raving crazy. My what?

I don't believe it has to do with conservative or your side since it is not government. I fret government more than I fret you and you daily onslaught of homosexual diatribes.

Bob
05-04-2015, 10:30 AM
That is an awesome book. I learned a lot from its discussion of different genetic abnormalities.

While this is a fictional character, it also shows the damage that can be done by adults trying to fit kids into a certain role.

So back to the op - in other threads, some posters say the thing to do is to teach kids that being gay is wrong and somehow channeling them into the "proper" - i.e. straight - channel. The op shows the damage - the abuse - this causes kids in the real world.

Luckily, the people who feel that was are getting fewer or fewer. I can only hope those who show such hate on this board aren't around children who might be different from what those haters thing the norm should be.

If the film in the op gets made, it could be eye-opening.

Of course, I also hope we see films where being LGBT doesn't make people miserable; like La Cage Aux Folles as one example. Or the gay/lesbian characters that are in shows and movies these days. Because - it is getting better; and many LGBT people are living their lives just fine, not tormented.

I must have been a terrible father not teaching my past two wives children how great homosexuality is. Darned if none of them are homosexuals. I messed up according to you.

Bob
05-04-2015, 10:33 AM

You are not a homosexual. so knock off the attempts at typical left winger mind control. Accuse?

So, now you consider mental illness to be a crime?

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 10:44 AM
You are not a homosexual. so knock off the attempts at typical left winger mind control. Accuse?

Relax, you're safe.

There's absolutely no case whatsoever.

Bob
05-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Relax, you're safe.

There's absolutely no case whatsoever.

So long as you are many states distant i am safe is what you mean.

PattyHill
05-04-2015, 11:11 AM
I must have been a terrible father not teaching my past two wives children how great homosexuality is. Darned if none of them are homosexuals. I messed up according to you.

Not what I said. I said kids need to be who they are, not forced into a role that doesn't match what they are.

I'm a liberal. You said liberals were mentally ill as well. And yes, I don't think LGBT people should be called mentally ill, even if I am not LGBT myself.

I don't consider mental illness to be a crime. I consider saying that large groups of people are mentally ill because they don't believe as you do is pretty rude.

You might want to read my posts a tad more carefully.

PolWatch
05-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Mental illness does not mean you are stark raving crazy. My what?

I don't believe it has to do with conservative or your side since it is not government. I fret government more than I fret you and you daily onslaught of homosexual diatribes.

No one is forced to read or post in threads that they feel are 'onslaughts of homosexual diatribes'.

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
So long as you are many states distant i am safe is what you mean.

I'm actually setting up a job interview for a hospital in the Napa Valley region, believe it or not.

I'll be in the Pacific NW on Thursday.

Maybe we could meet for lunch.

:biglaugh:

Bob
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Not what I said. I said kids need to be who they are, not forced into a role that doesn't match what they are.

I'm a liberal. You said liberals were mentally ill as well. And yes, I don't think LGBT people should be called mentally ill, even if I am not LGBT myself.

I don't consider mental illness to be a crime. I consider saying that large groups of people are mentally ill because they don't believe as you do is pretty rude.

You might want to read my posts a tad more carefully.

Don't try to be clever on me. I know precisely what you were going for.

I believe "liberals" are NOT LIBERALS.

You can be most generous when it is not your money being tossed down the rathole called government.

If you use your own wealth to promote your pet causes, I believe that is fine and I do not object. When you take from the unwilling to do your pet causes, I do object. That is why your belief system is a mental illness.

You seek to do the impossible with others incomes.

If you want to see how well JBJ's war on poverty program worked, look at Baltimore and Detroit. Show up in Oakland, Ca to see the product of his work. Blacks today complain they are worse off. Back then a husband and wife raised their kids. Today the kids pay no attention in school and the woman collects her monthly check.

If i promised you that if you send me ten thousand dollars and it would go to the poor, you would snort and laugh and tell me you were not born yesterday. I see government just that way.

Bob
05-04-2015, 11:22 AM
I'm actually setting up a job interview for a hospital in the Napa Valley region, believe it or not.

I'll be in the Pacific NW on Thursday.

Maybe we could meet for lunch.

Napa is like a 2 hr drive for me. But thanks for the offer.

Bob
05-04-2015, 11:26 AM
No one is forced to read or post in threads that they feel are 'onslaughts of homosexual diatribes'.

No one also forced you to read my comments.

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Napa is like a 2 hr drive for me. But thanks for the offer.

lol

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 11:30 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/-KxrFjlo6IQc/T0F5peBxykI/AAAAAAAAAhM/adreZr0_L5I/Herbert_d640f6_1962128_thumb.gif?imgmax=800

Howey
05-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Looks like you were a stellar husband too.

Bob
05-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Looks like you were a stellar husband too.

Unlucky in wives is all. You would not know about that.

PolWatch
05-04-2015, 12:57 PM
No one also forced you to read my comments.

yes they do Bob. Mods have to read posts....its part of the job description.

Bob
05-04-2015, 12:59 PM
yes they do Bob. Mods have to read posts....its part of the job description.

You are free to resign.

The Xl
05-04-2015, 01:00 PM
This thread......is gay?

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 01:03 PM
You are free to resign.

You are free to pound sand up you ass too, what's your point?

PolWatch
05-04-2015, 01:03 PM
You are free to resign.

and you are free to be banned for bad faith posts & questioning mod actions in the open forum.....

Bob
05-04-2015, 01:24 PM
You are free to pound sand up you ass too, what's your point?

At lunch with you, you mean????????

She told me she is forced to read all posts. I would quit were that my fate.

Bob
05-04-2015, 01:26 PM
and you are free to be banned for bad faith posts & questioning mod actions in the open forum.....

We are not talking as a mod to a potential victim. We are talking as just posters. I have not yet questioned any mod actions.

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 01:28 PM
We are not talking as a mod to a potential victim. We are talking as just posters. I have not yet questioned any mod actions.

Victim...

Bob
05-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Victim...

Not yet i am not.

We were chatting and suddenly she pulls the Mod card on me.

Captain Obvious
05-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Not yet i am not.

We were chatting and suddenly she pulls the Mod card on me.

Cause/effect.

You suffer from Matty syndrome. You break the rule, become combative and annoying and when people react to that - both mods and other members then you pull the victim card out and hide behind it.

PolWatch
05-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Discussion/Questions about mod actions should be addressed via PM. Continued discussion in the open forum will result in infractions

this is the mod card

Common Sense
05-04-2015, 01:50 PM
This is a Mod card...

http://dev.ohsobeautifulpaper.com/wp-content/gallery/birthday/dude-and-chick-mod-birthday-card.jpg

Green Arrow
05-04-2015, 04:52 PM
You are free to resign.

And you're free to f...ire up the grill and have some burgers.

Bob
05-04-2015, 04:57 PM
And you're free to f...ire up the grill and have some burgers.

Why thank you very much. Delicious.

Green Arrow
05-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Why thank you very much. Delicious.

Oh, totally. Especially if you use a recipe my friend and I created...we don't have a name for it yet, but it's got kind of a southwest feel to it. You make the rub with that powdered Hidden Valley ranch, a Caribbean jerk seasoning mix, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. Then fry yourself some bacon while the patties are on the grill, fry up some onions in the bacon grease, and garnish.

Common Sense
05-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Oh, totally. Especially if you use a recipe my friend and I created...we don't have a name for it yet, but it's got kind of a southwest feel to it. You make the rub with that powdered Hidden Valley ranch, a Caribbean jerk seasoning mix, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. Then fry yourself some bacon while the patties are on the grill, fry up some onions in the bacon grease, and garnish.

Irie Ranch Myocardial Infarction?

Howey
05-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Unlucky in wives is all. You would not know about that.
I'm in a stable 14 year relationship filled with love and trust. You?

Howey
05-04-2015, 08:36 PM

How about "Heart Attack On A Bun"?

Howey
05-04-2015, 08:38 PM
The only thing worse than a reformed smoker or drinker is a reformed eater.

Bob
05-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm in a stable 14 year relationship filled with love and trust. You?

So you say.

Do you believe a license should be delivered by the Government on the say so one loves another?

Is there a test for that?

Bob
05-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I reformed as a smoker Howie. Seen me lecture anybody on smoking hazards?

PattyHill
05-04-2015, 09:02 PM
So you say.

Do you believe a license should be delivered by the Government on the say so one loves another?

Is there a test for that?

No requirement to be in love to get married. So if you didn't love your wives, you're still good, Bob. Your marriages were legal

by the way, your comment seemed way off-topic. I may have misunderstood what you were getting at. You know, besides baiting Howey.

Bob
05-04-2015, 09:28 PM
No requirement to be in love to get married. So if you didn't love your wives, you're still good, Bob. Your marriages were legal

by the way, your comment seemed way off-topic. I may have misunderstood what you were getting at. You know, besides baiting Howey.

I take it you don't believe in any requirement to get married then? Didn't I reply to Howey?

PattyHill
05-04-2015, 09:41 PM
I take it you don't believe in any requirement to get married then? Didn't I reply to Howey?

If you only want to chat with Howey, I suggest you use the private message function.

Bob
05-04-2015, 09:44 PM
If you only want to chat with Howey, I suggest you use the private message function.

Haven't you been the one to bring up Howey? See your previous note to me. Nice dodge to evade a reply as to requirements to get a government permit to marry.

PattyHill
05-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Haven't you been the one to bring up Howey? See your previous note to me. Nice dodge to evade a reply as to requirements to get a government permit to marry.

Yes, because of course YOU haven't dodged the question.

But sure, I'll answer - legal age and not already married. What else is there?

PattyHill
05-04-2015, 09:46 PM

PS - you brought up Howey. you seemed upset that I joined the conversation.

Bob
05-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Yes, because of course YOU haven't dodged the question.

But sure, I'll answer - legal age and not already married. What else is there?

I now owe you are proper reply. Not sure why you accused me of doding. Maybe the next time you limit it to me vs you and leave out other posters.

Actually, my belief is in the current constitution. It leaves out the topic of marriages.

Given you require an age requirement, pray tell why? And not married? Why is that?

Bob
05-04-2015, 09:58 PM
PS - you brought up Howey. you seemed upset that I joined the conversation.

Are you serious? I don't mind it if you stick to the actual topic. I recall you jumping on my bones first. I shall of course check. If I am in error, accept my apology.

Bob
05-04-2015, 10:02 PM
PattyHill

See your post 116 I recalled correctly it was you leaping in and dragging Howey into your post.

Dr. Who
05-04-2015, 10:15 PM
I've heard of Midnight Cowboy, is that was was referenced earlier in the thread?

I dig spaghetti westerns but I think this one was more of a cheezy post western western if that makes sense.
Most of the 60's and 70's movies were a little different. They were obsessed with gritty and social issues. Unfortunately much of it came off overly dramatic or poorly acted or trying too hard to be hip. Probably my least favorite era of movies.

Dr. Who
05-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Perhaps beyond feeling badly for the child, members don't know what else to say. We would all like people to be nicer to each other, but people are not all nice. The schools are bringing in anti-bullying programs but at the end of the day, having a close relationship with parents and family does more to enforce personal confidence than any outside intervention.

I applaud anti-bullying programs, but parents need to be involved in their kid's lives and if a school is creating a toxic environment for a child, the parents should intervene and move the child to a better school. Children also have to understand that children are generally primative beings and acting and/or dressing really differently to the norm will draw negative attention. Children are conformists. Furthermore, irrespective of what schools do, kids are influenced by their families and if those families are unaccepting of homosexuality, the school will have little influence. A caring parent would not encourage their child to be a target and stand out too much. There is plenty of time to express sexual individuality when one is an adult. Even at that, in most of the working world, being aggressively gay would not be acceptable. No one should push sexuality in anyone's face whether they are gay or straight. It is inappropriate. It's not appropriate for women to wear plunging necklines and really short skirts in business, because they are there to work. It's also not appropriate for men to unbutton their shirts halfway and wear excessively tight pants to show off the goods at work. The same notion applies to schools. On that score I believe kids should wear uniforms so as not to draw comparisons for any reason.

At the end of the day, it will take time for people to accept sexual differences and parents who are aware of such differences in their children should be hyper vigilant in order to prevent tragedies. Parents who are unaware are just not paying attention.

As to to the apparent disrespect in this thread, apart from saying it was a terrible thing that happened, there are no guaranteed solutions that will prevent an alienated kid from suiciding. Straight kids kill themselves all the time too. Blame the parents for not paying enough attention to know when their child is depressed and bullied.

Captain Obvious
05-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Most of the 60's and 70's movies were a little different. They were obsessed with gritty and social issues. Unfortunately much of it came off overly dramatic or poorly acted or trying too hard to be hip. Probably my least favorite era of movies.

Yeah, Easy Rider - lol!

PattyHill
05-05-2015, 08:30 AM
@PattyHill (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1335)

See your post 116 I recalled correctly it was you leaping in and dragging Howey into your post.

I was responding to your post 114 which was a response to Howey. And seemed to be baiting him

PattyHill
05-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I now owe you are proper reply. Not sure why you accused me of doding. Maybe the next time you limit it to me vs you and leave out other posters.

Actually, my belief is in the current constitution. It leaves out the topic of marriages.

Given you require an age requirement, pray tell why? And not married? Why is that?

If you want to start another thread on what requirements there should be for marriage, please do, let me know where it is, and I'll chime in there. I gave you my requirements for marriage; I don't feel like explaining why in this thread as it will take it even further off-topic.

Bob
05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I was responding to your post 114 which was a response to Howey. And seemed to be baiting him

I know that. That is why I said but you denied, that you jumped in. Post 116 shows you were not being accurate.

Bait you say? ha ha ha. I see bait in every post.

Bob
05-05-2015, 12:41 PM
If you want to start another thread on what requirements there should be for marriage, please do, let me know where it is, and I'll chime in there. I gave you my requirements for marriage; I don't feel like explaining why in this thread as it will take it even further off-topic.

Sure thing. It will discuss requirements to be married. Since the governments of this country has already littered us with laws, best place to start is there.

PattyHill
05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Sure thing. It will discuss requirements to be married. Since the governments of this country has already littered us with laws, best place to start is there.

Ok. Send me the link once it's created!