PDA

View Full Version : From one of the members of the Greatest Generation.

Jim Miller
07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor , allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.

I can't figure out what country you are the president of. You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:

" We're no longer a Christian nation"

" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even announced to the world," America is meanspirited. " Please tell her to try preaching that nonsense to 23 generations of our war dead buried all over the globe who died for no other reason than to free awhole lot of strangers from tyranny and hopelessness.)

I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals." Which ones did you mean?

1. Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British?

2. Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War?

3. I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

4. I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man. Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue . You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts , who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.

You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight no.

And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle...

Sincerely,

Harold B. Estes

Check it out at Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/haroldestes.asp

Trinnity
07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Beautiful piece. Love it.[
Mr. Estes is the fella in the blue shirt.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/graphics/estes.jpg

Jim Miller
07-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately, Mr. Estes is no longer with us. RIP!

Trinnity
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately, Mr. Estes is no longer with us. RIP! Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

Jim Miller
07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Hawaii Loses a Great Patriot - Harold B. Estes, U.S. Navy (ret.) http://www.hawaiireporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Screen-shot-2011-05-23-at-5.10.41-AM.png (http://www.hawaiireporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Screen-shot-2011-05-23-at-5.10.41-AM.png)BY DUANE A. VACHON, PH.D. - Harold B. Estes and many of his peers are part of a generation that is known as “The Greatest Generation." Estes, a World War II veteran credited with helping bring the USS Missouri and Bowfin museums to Hawaii, and who gained Internet fame with a letter written to President Barack Obama telling him to "shape up and start acting like an American," died Tuesday May 17, 2011.
Bringing the battleship Missouri to Pearl Harbor started as an idea tossed around in 1994 by Estes, retired Adm. Ron Hays and Navy veteran Edwin Carter, according to the museum.
It was a day in mid-February 1994 when Ronald Hays, a retired four-star admiral who had headed all U.S. forces in the Pacific, said to Estes, a retired chief boatswain's mate, something like: "Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get the Missouri here?".
Anyone who has served in the United States Navy knows that the people who get things done in the Navy are chief boatswain’s mates. This includes four-star admirals.
Estes, who had been out of the Navy since 1954, had worked with Carter to arrange for the deactivated submarine USS Bowfin to be brought to Pearl Harbor as the centerpiece of a submarine memorial complex.
Estes served over 20 years in the Navy. He took to the Navy like the proverbial duck takes to the water. Estes loved the Navy and the Navy returned that love. His first ship was the battleship California, later sunk at Pearl Harbor.
When Estes called Carter about the Missouri, Carter arranged for Estes and Hays to meet with him for lunch at the Waialae Country Club. "Cheap lunch," Carter has been quoted as saying. "Nobody ordered booze."
All three - the admiral, the chief boatswain's mate and the naval reservist - agreed it should be possible to get the deactivated Mo here. Hays, who was going back east on a business trip, said he would talk to our congressional delegation (all approved) and to the vice chief of naval operations, Stanley Arthur, who had been a fighter pilot over Vietnam with Hays.
Arthur approved, too. Interestingly, he shared a story about a Japanese delegation that had startled him by asking to have the Missouri towed to Tokyo Bay in 1995 for the 50th anniversary of the surrender ceremonies on the battleship.
“Why?” Arthur asked them. The Japanese delegation told him that the Missouri represented a new beginning. It turned the rhetoric of democracy, freedom and prosperity into reality for Japan.
This idea was welcomed by the three. As it has turned out, the Japanese have become major visitors to the Missouri.
It’s interesting to note that when the Missouri opened as a museum ship at Ford Island, it become a "bookend" to the Arizona Memorial. The beginning and end of the Pacific war is dramatically portrayed by these two ships.
This Author of this article had the pleasure of meeting Estes. I can attest that he was a true gentleman. He didn’t have a political bone in his body, and he loved America and his fellow veterans. I have no doubt that Harold Estes and Fred Ballard are sitting together with the Supreme Commander talking story.
A letter critical of Obama penned by Estes several years ago went viral on the Internet and references to it are still numerous. Estes began his letter with these words, "One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.”
Estes will join his wife Doris at Court 11, niche 129P, at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/a-great-patriot-harold-b-estes-u-s-navy-ret/123

JohnAdams
07-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor , allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.

I can't figure out what country you are the president of. You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:

" We're no longer a Christian nation"

" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even announced to the world," America is meanspirited. " Please tell her to try preaching that nonsense to 23 generations of our war dead buried all over the globe who died for no other reason than to free awhole lot of strangers from tyranny and hopelessness.)

I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals." Which ones did you mean?

1. Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British?

2. Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War?

3. I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

4. I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man. Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue . You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts , who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.

You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight no.

And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle...

Sincerely,

Harold B. Estes

Check it out at Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/haroldestes.asp

Hmm now where have we heard that before? Oh yeah, THE OBAMA'S long time spiritual mentor, friend, and "like an uncle" the wrong, false teacher, named Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

"America's chicken's have come home to roost" sound familiar leftist libs? No,. no, no, of course not liberals. After all, if it did that would mean and would require that we actually pay attention too, and take notice of the fact that THE OBAMA not only called the hateful, racist who stated that, a "great man".

But that not only did THE OBAMA himself belong too, and attend a cult for over twenty years himself.

In doing the 180 THE OBAMA did, to throw his self proclaimed "spiritual mentor" and "pastor" Wright under the bus.

THE OBAMA has already established a proven track record, of (as a long time cultist himself) not only being a hypocrite, but also clearly willing to compromise on "convictions" THE OBAMA claims to hold dear, the instant those convictions are no longer politically beneficial to THE OBAMA and his cronies.

Goldie Locks
07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Ubama is an anti colonialist who thinks America is too big for her britches and must be brought down in line with other countries and he is not the only one, this has been going on for many years now, but he is the puppet to put it all to rest. Ubama is anti-American and must be voted out this November. This is our last great chance to save the republic or you can kiss it goodbye forever. We are the last shining beacon on the hill, if we fail to preserve the republic, you can basically kiss freedom and liberty goodbye too.

Jim Miller
07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
It most certainly be a different (worse) country.

patrickt
07-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Unfortunately, Mr. Estes is no longer with us. RIP!
When my children were small and asked about death we discussed the concept but I pointed out that people aren't really gone until no one remembers. I told them their job was to store up good memories of me and their mother so we could be with them after we were dead.

I think this letter will keep Mr. Estes around for a good long time.

Trinnity
07-15-2012, 08:12 AM
When my children were small and asked about death we discussed the concept but I pointed out that people aren't really gone until no one remembers. I told them their job was to store up good memories of me and their mother so we could be with them after we were dead.

I think this letter will keep Mr. Estes around for a good long time.That's a beautiful thought, Patrick. Honoring one's parents by remembering them is a virtue, to be sure.

Peter1469
07-15-2012, 08:23 AM
That is a good way to explain death to young children.

Cigar
07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
My Grandfather made it to 104 Years Old ... who died last year, and was sharp enough to tell me a lot of lasting story of his like and how he lived his life. What my Grandfather and Mr. Harold Estes is have in common is that they lived long lives and seen a lot of American History ... and that's exactly where the similarities end!

My Grandfather would have given anything, including his life to Fight for his Country ... but his Country didn't want him or recognize him for anything other than a Railroad worker. My Grandmother never worked a paid job in her entire life ... why ... because her country didn't want to pay her. But in her later hers from 50 until she died at 78, she worked as a volunteer nurse at her local hospital.

I was told by my Grandfather that his greatest pleasure in life was to see all his kids live longer than him, live fruitful and productive lives and a Black Man was Elected President ... it means all the Bull Shit he had to endure mean something more that just living and dieing.

... yea ... the one thing that none of us have control over, is who's sperm we've come from or who's egg fertilized us.

None of us have ever designed the Soap-Box we put ourselves on ... it's only by chance we exist at all.

.... and we've all seen this World from our own eyes ... not anyone's else's eyes. :wink:

patrickt
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Cigar, I really wish I could believe something you say. If I could, your granfparents sound like good people. But, I can't, can I?