PDA

View Full Version : They're gonna need a bigger Twitter

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Until now, I thought things like Twitter were a waste of time. I now see it can actually serve an educational purpose. People who would never be interested in research projects are now interested because of a humorous Twitter poster. This is one of the sharks tagged by Ocearch and one of the stars of the TV show 'Shark Wranglers'.

'An organization studying great white sharks is enjoying some welcome attention after one of the creatures they've been monitoring started gaining a loyal social media following. @MaryLeeShark is the fake Twitter handle for a very real, nearly 3,500-pound great white whose movements can be tracked online and in real time.
She's drawn over 44,000 followers with her playful updates and witty replies as the real life shark cruises up and down the East Coast.

"Oh heyyyyy.... you're right by my house, come by for a nightcap?" invited one recent Twitter commenter as she popped up off the coast of Long Island, New York.

"I would settle for an ice bag to put on my aching Twitter fin. -:()" Mary Lee replied.

"What do you do during Shark Week?" another recent commenter asked. "Swim. Eat. Tweet. Etc. Exhausting. -;()," Mary Lee responded.

The shark, which was tagged off the coast of Cape Cod, is among hundreds of sharks that OCEARCH, a Utah-based organization, has tagged and tracked since 2007.

Read more: http://www.fox10tv.com/story/29085293/great-white-shark-cruising-east-coast-becomes-twitter-star#ixzz3aUgIIiYs

The Sage of Main Street
05-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Until now, I thought things like Twitter were a waste of time. I now see it can actually serve an educational purpose. People who would never be interested in research projects are now interested because of a humorous Twitter poster. This is one of the sharks tagged by Ocearch and one of the stars of the TV show 'Shark Wranglers'.

'An organization studying great white sharks is enjoying some welcome attention after one of the creatures they've been monitoring started gaining a loyal social media following. @MaryLeeShark is the fake Twitter handle for a very real, nearly 3,500-pound great white whose movements can be tracked online and in real time.
She's drawn over 44,000 followers with her playful updates and witty replies as the real life shark cruises up and down the East Coast.

"Oh heyyyyy.... you're right by my house, come by for a nightcap?" invited one recent Twitter commenter as she popped up off the coast of Long Island, New York.

"I would settle for an ice bag to put on my aching Twitter fin. -:()" Mary Lee replied.

"What do you do during Shark Week?" another recent commenter asked. "Swim. Eat. Tweet. Etc. Exhausting. -;()," Mary Lee responded.

The shark, which was tagged off the coast of Cape Cod, is among hundreds of sharks that OCEARCH, a Utah-based organization, has tagged and tracked since 2007.

Read more: http://www.fox10tv.com/story/29085293/great-white-shark-cruising-east-coast-becomes-twitter-star#ixzz3aUgIIiYs So that's what happened to Michele Bachmann!

PolWatch
05-18-2015, 08:46 AM
So that's what happened to Michele Bachmann!

you disrespect one of nature's apex predators.....

waltky
03-23-2017, 04:48 AM
Twitter Crack Down on Terrorism-related Accounts...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Twitter Cracks Down on Terrorism-related Accounts
March 21, 2017 - Twitter suspended more than 376,000 accounts in the second half of 2016, most of which it said were promoting terrorism.

Most of the accounts, 74 percent, were removed by proprietary software, the company said in its latest transparency report. The software reportedly determines a terrorism related account through how it behaves, rather than what it posts, saying the accounts have “distinctive behavior.”

Two percent of the accounts were suspended by various government requests, according to Twitter. The number of suspensions is three times more than the social media site deleted in the last half of 2015.

In total, the company says it suspended 636,280 accounts from August 1, 2015 to December 31, 2016. The report comes as Facebook and Google are wrestling with how to prevent objectionable content from their sites.

http://www.voanews.com/a/mht-twitter-cracks-down-on-terrorism-related-accounts/3775671.html

See also:

Google Maps Already Tracks You; Now Other People Can, Too
March 22, 2017 — Google Maps users will soon be able to broadcast their movements to friends and family — the latest test of how much privacy people are willing to sacrifice in an era of rampant sharing.

The location-monitoring feature will begin rolling out Wednesday in an update to the Google Maps mobile app, which is already installed on most of the world's smartphones. It will also be available on personal computers. Google believes the new tool will be a more convenient way for people to let someone know where they are without having to text or call them. The Mountain View, California, company has set up the controls so individuals can decide with whom they want to share their whereabouts and for how long — anywhere from a few minutes to indefinitely.

https://gdb.voanews.com/4E67B99A-2C87-449B-9A57-3B5858C6AEE6_w650_r0_s.jpg
Google campus in Mountain View, California.

But location sharing in one of the world's most popular apps could cause friction in marriages and other relationships if one partner demands to know where the other is at all times. Similar tensions could arise if parents insist their teenagers turn on the location-sharing option before they go out.

Some share concerns

It could also be turned into a way to stalk someone entangled in an abusive relationship, warned Ruth Glenn, executive director for the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. “It has the potential to be another tool in an abuser's toolkit,” she said. Similar tracking is already available on other apps; Glympse, founded by former Microsoft employees, has offered this function for years. Although it isn't as wide-ranging, Apple also offers a tracking option called “Find My Friends” on its iPhone, iPad and Watch.

That's one of the reasons Google isn't expecting a lot of complaints about adding the option to Maps, especially since everyone can decide when to turn it on and who can monitor them. “We don't feel like we are changing the game,” said Jen Fitzpatrick, Google's vice president of maps.

Tracking only a tap away

Maps users will be able to activate the location-sharing feature by tapping a button near the search bar and then picking a person from their contact list to text with the information. If the recipient doesn't have the Google Maps app on their phone, it will text them a link to open the location on the map in a browser. The settings also allow users to determine how long their movements can be tracked each time a location is shared. If no time limit is selected, Google will periodically send people email reminders that they're still sharing their location, a step that Glenn said may help anyone who didn't know an abusive partner was still following them.

http://www.voanews.com/a/google-maps-already-tracks-you-now-other-people-can-too/3778308.html

waltky
11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Uncle Ferd gonna send his g/f a long love tweet...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Twitter to expand 280-character tweets
Tue, 07 Nov 2017 - Longer tweets to be rolled out more widely as Twitter attempts to attract new users.

Twitter plans to increase the number of characters in tweets from 140 to 280 for the majority of users. The new limit will not apply to tweets written in Japanese, Chinese and Korean which can convey more information in a single character. The move follows a trial among a small group of users which started in September in response to criticism that it was not easy enough to tweet. The change is part of Twitter's plan to attract new users and increase growth.

Twitter brevity

During the test, only 5% of tweets sent were longer than 140 characters and only 2% more than 190, the social media site said in a blog post. But those who did use the longer tweets, got more followers, more engagement and spent more time on the site, it added. "During the first few days of the test, many people tweeted the full 280 limit because it was new and novel, but soon after behaviour normalised," wrote Aliza Rosen, Twitter's product manager. "We saw when people needed to use more than 140 characters, they tweeted more easily and more often. But importantly, people tweeted below 140 most of the time and the brevity of Twitter remained."

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/A5BF/production/_92113424_hi035539891.jpg

According to Twitter, 9% of tweets in English hit the character limits. "This reflects the challenge of fitting a thought into a tweet, often resulting in lots of time spent editing and even at times abandoning tweets before sending," Ms Rosen said. Increasing the character limit should not affect people's experience on the site, she added. "We - and many of you - were concerned that timelines may fill up with 280-character tweets, and people with the new limit would always use up the whole space. But that didn't happen."

When the change was announced, many criticised it, pointing out changes they would rather see, such as a crackdown on hate crime and bots, and the introduction of a chronological timeline and edit function. The site currently has 330 million active users. This compares with 800 million for Instagram and more than 2 billion users for Facebook.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41900880

Doublejack
11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
I've never tweeted before.

I don't entirely even know what it is.

Kacper
11-07-2017, 08:10 PM
I don't have the 280 characters yet. I guess I am not special enough to twitter.