PDA

View Full Version : Perry bills feds $349M for incarcerating illegals

wingrider
08-27-2011, 01:53 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry has asked the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for nearly $350 million to cover the costs he says Texas has incurred incarcerating illegal immigrants in state prisons and county jails.

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-bills-feds-349m-incarcerating-illegals-025702439.html

well good for Perry.. if Immigration is strictly the feds program, and they sue the states ( Arizona ) for trying to enforce the law.. then why should the states have to pay for the cost that these people run up in the states.. I think that the states should also sue to recover the cost of education, welfare, foodstamps, health costs etc, and everthing else that states have to pay to keep thse illegal people in there restpective states.

it is about time that individual or even collectively that states pass all costs of dealing with illegals onto the federal government.. Go Rick Perry..

Mister D
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry has asked the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for nearly $350 million to cover the costs he says Texas has incurred incarcerating illegal immigrants in state prisons and county jails.

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-bills-feds-349m-incarcerating-illegals-025702439.html

well good for Perry.. if Immigration is strictly the feds program, and they sue the states ( Arizona ) for trying to enforce the law.. then why should the states have to pay for the cost that these people run up in the states.. I think that the states should also sue to recover the cost of education, welfare, foodstamps, health costs etc, and everthing else that states have to pay to keep thse illegal people in there restpective states.

it is about time that individual or even collectively that states pass all costs of dealing with illegals onto the federal government.. Go Rick Perry..

CA has made similar moves. I agree 100% with your sentiments.

Conley
08-27-2011, 02:47 PM
That's awesome.

Take back State Rights.

Pimby
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM
i think i like this perry fella

Mister D
08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
i think i like this perry fella

You ain't alone, Pimby. If the feds want to sue the states for doing the feds job then the fed should be obliged not just to do their job but also to pay for the consequences of not doing so effectively.

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Does no one else find it exceedingly odd that the man is suing the federal government while at the same time trying to join them?

Imagine if you will that you discover the local factory is dumping hundreds of tons of pollution into the reservoir that serves as your drinking water. You expose them and demand justice while applying for an opening at the very same factory. This behaviour is incongruous and clearly calculated. I believe you might call it trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Does no one else find it exceedingly odd that the man is suing the federal government while at the same time trying to join them?

Imagine if you will that you discover the local factory is dumping hundreds of tons of pollution into the reservoir that serves as your drinking water. You expose them and demand justice while applying for an opening at the very same factory. This behaviour is incongruous and clearly calculated. I believe you might call it trying to have your cake and eat it too.

That's an exceedingly odd thing to say.

Conley
08-27-2011, 07:49 PM

That's an exceedingly odd thing to say.

Wasn't this the plot of Erin Brokovitch?

;D :D

wingrider
08-27-2011, 07:55 PM

what is so odd about seeing a problem and then applying for the job so you can fix it.?

I think this is one area That Perry would excell at. Illegal immigration has been a serious issue in texas for a long long time, Perry know this, As Governor of texas he has had to deal with this problem on a day to day basis, meanwhile the states hands get tied by the federal government everytime they try to do something about it,

While I can appreciate you analogy somewhat it really isn't Germaine to the situation at hand. unless you are comparing illegals to toxic waste

Conley
08-27-2011, 07:59 PM

what is so odd about seeing a problem and then applying for the job so you can fix it.?

I think this is one area That Perry would excell at. Illegal immigration has been a serious issue in texas for a long long time, Perry know this, As Governor of texas he has had to deal with this problem on a day to day basis, meanwhile the states hands get tied by the federal government everytime they try to do something about it,

While I can appreciate you analogy somewhat it really isn't Germaine to the situation at hand. unless you are comparing illegals to toxic waste

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

brilliant!

Pendragon
08-28-2011, 04:03 PM

How about this analogy for you conservatives.

You all hate Moveon.org I am sure. Or if you prefer, the Daily Kos.

They offer you a job for a significantly larger sum than you are currently making.

Do you accept it on the basis of providing a better life for your family, or spurn it as you cannot accept the moral implications thereof?

Mister D
08-28-2011, 04:14 PM

How about this analogy for you conservatives.

You all hate Moveon.org I am sure. Or if you prefer, the Daily Kos.

They offer you a job for a significantly larger sum than you are currently making.

Do you accept it on the basis of providing a better life for your family, or spurn it as you cannot accept the moral implications thereof?

You still don't get it, Pen. This analogy fails as well. You consistently mistake a dislike for a large and intrusive federal government with the existence of a federal government. How can one engage in a discussion with you on this matter when you rely on what is in essence of a caricature of your opponent's position? Mind you, I'm being generous. Others might say it's just a gross distortion.

Why shouldn't Perry take an interest in helping to solve the nation's problems?

Pendragon
08-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Please answer the question.

You in particular seem to delight in changing the context of the argument.

Were this a fantasy game you would be the cunning rogue constantly parrying, diving, and ducking out of sight!

Your stealth be damned! I can still see you!

Mister D
08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Please answer the question.

You in particular seem to delight in changing the context of the argument.

Were this a fantasy game you would be the cunning rogue constantly parrying, diving, and ducking out of sight!

Your stealth be damned! I can still see you!

It's a poor analogy and a loaded question. Worse still, it's obvious.

MMC
08-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I agree with Perry on this.....if the Feds can sue the state then the State should require compensation from the Feds. If the Feds refuse to pay then they should be taken to Court. Gander, flock, geese, all that. You know what I mean.

Illlegal immigration is brought on by the Fed. There 195 countries in the World. Out of those that have governments of law and order. How many do not secure their borders? What major industrialized nations does not protect its own borders?

Mister D
08-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree with Perry on this.....if the Feds can sue the state then the State should require compensation from the Feds. If the Feds refuse to pay then they should be taken to Court. Gander, flock, geese, all that. You know what I mean.

Illlegal immigration is brought on by the Fed. There 195 countries in the World. Out of those that have governments of law and order. How many do not secure their borders? What major industrialized nations does not protect its own borders?

But we're a nation of immigrants! :o

That's the sort of inane response you will get from liberals and big business. All nations are nations of immigrants! Do they think people grow out of the ground?

Conley
08-29-2011, 03:48 PM
The New York Times has a hit piece today about how Perry wasn't for states' rights until the Tea Party became prominent.

Even if that were true, it's silly to think anyone would choose Obama over Perry if they were at all concerned about it. All the media attacks on Perry have rung hollow so far, basically saying he doesn't have the support of certain Republicans or Tea Partiers...but what they don't say is that those people will never back Romney and they sure as shoot will back Perry when he runs up against Obama. I wonder if there are some bombshells being withheld until the campaigning for the General Election begins? Doubtful, but it seems someone would have brought up a skeleton or two.

Mister D
08-29-2011, 03:51 PM
The New York Times has a hit piece today about how Perry wasn't for states' rights until the Tea Party became prominent.

Even if that were true, it's silly to think anyone would choose Obama over Perry if they were at all concerned about it. All the media attacks on Perry have rung hollow so far, basically saying he doesn't have the support of certain Republicans or Tea Partiers...but what they don't say is that those people will never back Romney and they sure as shoot will back Perry when he runs up against Obama. I wonder if there are some bombshells being withheld until the campaigning for the General Election begins? Doubtful, but it seems someone would have brought up a skeleton or two.

Their intention couldbe to depress GOP turnout. That wouldn't surprise me.

Conley
08-29-2011, 04:09 PM
That's an excellent point.

Here's the article. Check out the random dude on the left who they decided to trump up into someone of political signficance. :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/us/politics/29perry.html

Mister D
08-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Mayeb I'm looking over this too quickly? Who is that guy?

Juggernaut
08-31-2011, 07:57 PM

Not odd at all Penn. Perry is sending a bill and making it public. Dems have used that tactic too. They are all pols, the game is the same. Perry should also send a bill to Mexico.