PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul vows to filibuster to block Patriot Act

PolWatch
05-19-2015, 07:00 AM
If only more politicians would support his actions!

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul vowed on Monday to do "everything possible" to block renewal of the terrorism-era Patriot Act, but the Republican presidential hopeful conceded it may not be enough.

"We will do everything possible — including filibustering the Patriot Act to stop them," Paul said, acknowledging that a filibuster likely wouldn't be enough to block the program. "They have the votes inside the Beltway. But we have the votes outside the Beltway, and we'll have that fight."

Supporters of the surveillance law, including presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., say it's critical to anti-terrorism efforts. Paul and fellow Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, see the law as a privacy infringement

http://news.yahoo.com/rand-paul-threatens-filibuster-block-anti-terrorism-act-171720941--election.html?soc_src=copy

texan
05-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Chris Christi

"Your liberty does you no good in a casket."

PolWatch
05-19-2015, 07:35 PM
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/289513.Benjamin_Franklin)

donttread
05-19-2015, 08:57 PM

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul vowed on Monday to do "everything possible" to block renewal of the terrorism-era Patriot Act, but the Republican presidential hopeful conceded it may not be enough.

"We will do everything possible — including filibustering the Patriot Act to stop them," Paul said, acknowledging that a filibuster likely wouldn't be enough to block the program. "They have the votes inside the Beltway. But we have the votes outside the Beltway, and we'll have that fight."

Supporters of the surveillance law, including presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., say it's critical to anti-terrorism efforts. Paul and fellow Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, see the law as a privacy infringement

http://news.yahoo.com/rand-paul-threatens-filibuster-block-anti-terrorism-act-171720941--election.html?soc_src=copy

Yet another reason to vote for Rand. How can you not love this guy? It's like a vote against Rand Paul is a vote against the Constitution!

donttread
05-19-2015, 08:59 PM
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/289513.Benjamin_Franklin)

And Ben's IQ compared to Chris? Well I think you get the point here

Green Arrow
05-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Chris Christi

"Your liberty does you no good in a casket."

If the founders agreed with Chris Christie, we'd still be British.

texan
05-19-2015, 11:44 PM
I think it needs work / modification but parts are necessary in fighting these people. I hope he succeeds and forces change.

exotix
05-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Happening Now

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/senator-rand-paul-filibusters-patriot-act-2015-05-20

http://i62.tinypic.com/es8fx4.jpg

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Adda boy!

Blackrook
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM
The people want security from terrorism, but they also complain when the government sets up a police state to fight terrorism.

If another 9/11 attack comes, people will blame the government for not stopping it.

It's a real lose-lose for the government.

PolWatch
05-20-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm glad to see that he did what he said he would do.....

exotix
05-20-2015, 04:29 PM
The people want security from terrorism, but they also complain when the government sets up a police state to fight terrorism.

If another 9/11 attack comes, people will blame the government for not stopping it.

That was Bushs' intention ... just like Hitler did. (Reichstag Fire)

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:30 PM

It's a lose-lose for the American people. It's a win for the government as it gives them boundless control.

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
That was Bushs' intention ... just like Hitler did. (Reichstag Fire)

Well you could blame Bush. But then you would have to blame Obama and everyone else other than Rand Paul for not stopping it.

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Whoever says Rand Paul is a fraud is afraid of what he is saying.

exotix
05-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Well you could blame Bush. But then you would have to blame Obama and everyone else other than Rand Paul for not stopping it.
Paulie is a wackadoo trying to draw attention to himself because he has no other platform other than faking he's a Libertarian simply because his daddy hijacked that one long ago.

PolWatch
Obama was against the PA until he was in favor of it....politicians don't like to give up anything that gives them power.

Polecat

I can accept being afraid of radical extremists as long as they are not from my own government.

exotix
05-20-2015, 04:39 PM
I can accept being afraid of radical extremists as long as they are not from my own government.Now that you mention it .. here's Paulie dealing with some radical extremists .. LOL

http://radioornot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/05-rand-paul-dreamer-gif.w1120.h632.gif

silvereyes
05-20-2015, 04:46 PM

I knew there would be one in this thread.

silvereyes
05-20-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm glad to see that he did what he said he would do.....

Refreshing, aint it?

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Paulie is a wackadoo trying to draw attention to himself because he has no other platform other than faking he's a Libertarian simply because his daddy hijacked that one long ago.

Doesn't seem like he is faking to me... After all... You agree with him here don't ya?

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Now that you mention it .. here's Paulie dealing with some radical extremists .. LOL

http://radioornot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/05-rand-paul-dreamer-gif.w1120.h632.gif

Classy move. I wouldn't sit and eat with a douche either. Let me guess. You would have scratched his eyes out?

exotix
05-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Doesn't seem like he is faking to me... After all... You agree with him here don't ya?
He's at 4 hours now ... it'll have same effect as filibustering Drones for 22 hours ... then we'll have Cruz having to outdo it with a green eggs and ham one ... LOL

Private Pickle
05-20-2015, 04:53 PM
He's at 4 hours now ... it'll have same effect as filibustering Drones for 22 hours ... then we'll have Cruz having to outdo it with a green eggs and ham one ... LOL
So you agree with him?

donttread
05-20-2015, 05:18 PM

To be fair the government created the terrorist and then over blew the threat so don't feel too sorry for them

donttread
05-20-2015, 05:22 PM
I did it again , internet connection acting up. The "To be fair the government created the terrorist and then over blew the threat so don't feel too sorry for them" line is mine

PolWatch
05-20-2015, 05:25 PM
the lose-lose for the government is a win-win for the citizens.

some people believe the government should reflect the wishes of the citizens, not the other way around...

donttread
05-20-2015, 05:25 PM

LMFAO! His platform is the Constitution and BOR's . Ever read them?

exotix
05-20-2015, 07:20 PM
*update*

http://i62.tinypic.com/dcy71e.jpg

http://cdn-media.nationaljournal.com/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=47735&format=nj2013_8_columns_tiny

exotix
05-20-2015, 09:07 PM
*update*

http://i58.tinypic.com/f9ox36.jpg

texan
05-20-2015, 09:08 PM
You do not want the entire act cut! You want to remake it so we can continue to use other parts of it that are being lost on one issue.

exotix
05-20-2015, 09:10 PM
You do not want the entire act cut! You want to remake it so we can continue to use other parts of it that are being lost on one issue.
If you've been watching this .. he's completely lost it.

PolWatch
05-20-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping he keeps talking....

exotix
05-20-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm hoping he keeps talking....He's now babbling through highlighted sources with absolutely no regard that he sounds like a plagiarist ...

PolWatch
05-20-2015, 09:18 PM
I don't care what he reads or sounds like....if he could stop the PA from being renewed, I would cheer.

texan
05-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Whatever!!!!! You never seen a filibuster? Get out more they all sound like this.........Find a dem to demean for a change.

exotix
05-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Whatever!!!!! You never seen a filibuster? Get out more they all sound like this.........Find a dem to demean for a change.
Serious dude ... here's a dude who can't even hold a thought then loses his thought and goes from page to page to find out what thought he just had ... he doesn't even have the panache to raise choice passages to great heights of tragedy while gesticulating theatrically ... just to break the monotony .. LOL

Peter1469
05-20-2015, 09:35 PM
If you've been watching this .. he's completely lost it.You must have a new friend to relate to then....

exotix
05-20-2015, 09:38 PM
You must have a new friend to relate to then....
He's your buddy not mine ... LOL

Peter1469
05-20-2015, 09:40 PM
He's your buddy not mine ... LOL

I thought you needed a person who completely lost it to keep you company.

Hal Jordan
05-20-2015, 11:11 PM
UPDATE

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/politics/rand-paul-filibuster-patriot-act-nsa-surveillance/index.html

Washington (CNN)[Breaking news update at 11:59 p.m. ET]
After 10 hours and 30 minutes, Sen. Rand Paul has relinquished the Senate floor, ending his "filibuster" over NSA surveillance programs and the Patriot Act.

Bob
05-20-2015, 11:28 PM

I don't blame people for not trusting Goverment.

But when they don't know the law, how can it just be decided it is wrong?

So far, during it's term, not an American has lost freedom due to the law.

Were it up to me, I would stop the IRS from knowing our business.

The IRS jails them daily. But I read nobody calling for that law to end.

donttread
05-21-2015, 03:32 AM
If you've been watching this .. he's completely lost it.

It's a filibuster he has to keep talking. But he did point out the simple fact that there is no credable evidence that all this spying has stopped any act of terrorism

PolWatch
05-21-2015, 04:50 AM
Democrat Martin Heinrich weighed in to describe a "critical turning point" in the Patriot Act, and thanked Paul for his speech that will "force us all to have this conversation."

Noting how a federal appeals court last month declared the data sweep unlawful, "why on Earth would we extend a law that this court has found to be illegal?" Heinrich asked.

http://news.yahoo.com/rand-paul-blocking-us-senate-vote-bulk-data-194036275.html

zelmo1234
05-21-2015, 05:30 AM
It is a shame that he could not find anyone in congress to help?

Kind of tells you that there are few that have the constitution as their guide.

Common
05-21-2015, 05:40 AM
UPDATE

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/politics/rand-paul-filibuster-patriot-act-nsa-surveillance/index.html

His larynx got tired

Common
05-21-2015, 05:40 AM

Did you ever consider that maybe everyone else is right and hes wrong and thats why no one else supported him. I dont know I havent a firm position either way yet

zelmo1234
05-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Did you ever consider that maybe everyone else is right and hes wrong and thats why no one else supported him. I dont know I havent a firm position either way yet

Then everyone should be able to get a constitutional amendment for the states to vote on, shouldn't they.

The founding fathers knew that the constitution would need to be changed, they gave us a way to make that happen.

And our elected officials have forgotten that !

Peter1469
05-21-2015, 06:15 AM
They gave us two ways to change it. The amendment process, and the convention process.

PolWatch
05-21-2015, 06:20 AM
the link I posted stated that he had some support from across the aisle...he was supported by about 6 others....

Green Arrow
05-21-2015, 08:58 AM
I hope they succeed. I hope they kill it.

Common
05-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Do you believe the entire patriot act is bad Green Arrow, there is nothing in it thats of value ?

Ive read many articles on the purpose of phone data mining. They only way to stay ahead of the curve of terrorists an terrorism is to garner information BEFORE HAND. We all know there is domestic terrorists and terrorists in the country. We know what they are capable of WTC 911 and boston marathon. The data accrued has stopped many terrorists acts here. Nothing can stop them all.
I dont personally see the big hullaballo about cellphone info gathering. They can do my cell and my home phone if it keeps my grandkids one IOTA safer, even a half of 1%. Im sorry im just not afraid of them doing that

Green Arrow
05-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Do you believe the entire patriot act is bad Green Arrow, there is nothing in it thats of value ?

Nope, I don't believe it's all bad.

PolWatch
05-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Its not a matter of if the PA is all bad....its unnecessary. We had laws in place to handle the problem. The PA just opened up all of us to whatever the government wants. The idea that it will only be used against terrorists is ludicrous....its used against all of us.

I believe the PA is just the next step in the path to the complete Big Brother society. We need to put up a STOP sign and the PA is my 'no further allowed' point.

Mr. Right
05-21-2015, 09:28 AM
The fact that they call it the "Patriot Act" is lost on most. Spying on folks like Common, or any of us just shows the insanity of this POS. They can monitor people who are suspicious without an act of congress. My wife and kids don't need some turd from the government monitoring their conversations. They can identify and monitor the potentials without monitoring us all.

PolWatch
05-21-2015, 09:53 AM
I realize we all have our limit....mine was finding out they wanted access to my library card. My library card! Now, I'm not a terrorist and I don't check anything out of the library that I want to keep a secret. Its that famous phrase of rebels everywhere: its the principle of the thing! When I realized the scope of this POS even covers what books we are reading, I knew we had gone too far. Enough is enough!

Common
05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
It could very well be im wrong on this and in the minority. Im not aware of some of the things people have mentioned that it does.

Mr. Right
05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
I'd just rather the FBI, CIA or whomever to keep a watch on the ones we already know are making trouble. Better yet, stop bringing the potentials into the U.S.... period.

exotix
05-21-2015, 11:08 AM
The fact that they call it the "Patriot Act" is lost on most. Spying on folks like @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), or any of us just shows the insanity of this POS. They can monitor people who are suspicious without an act of congress. My wife and kids don't need some turd from the government monitoring their conversations. They can identify and monitor the potentials without monitoring us all.
Just a nuance when you gave up rights after 9/11 to become the Vaterland.

PolWatch
05-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Just a nuance when you gave up rights after 9/11 to become the Vaterland.

I didn't give them up...they were taken because so many fell for the fear tactics.

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 11:38 AM

Rand Paul has sold out on a number of foreign policy issues, but I think he has remained fairly consistent on the domestic front. If he follows through on his words, then it will be another laudable thing he has done in defense of liberty.

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 11:51 AM

Always nice to see "conservatives" apologizing and making excuses for the "big government" they claim to be against.

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 11:55 AM

You think Ron Paul is a fake libertarian? Let me guess. Obama and Pelosi are the real "libertarians" in your world?

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 11:58 AM
I can accept being afraid of radical extremists as long as they are not from my own government.

We shouldn't even be afraid of them because the chances of dying in a terrorist attack are virtually zero. The only reason 9/11 even happened is because the NSA/CIA didn't share crucial information with the FBI. That's all it would have taken to stop 9/11, was some more effective collaboration between agencies of the federal government, yet we need "patriot" acts, wars, and mass surveillance to prevent the next one.

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 12:01 PM

What part of this legislation do you think is necessary? And how do you think the "patriot" act serves to prevent terrorist attacks like 9/11, which was caused primarily by a failure to share information among federal agencies?

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 12:05 PM

He did have help and support. The media has highlighted Rand Paul's role simply because he has a more effective PR strategy than they do.

For example, Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) both support Rand Paul's objections to the mass surveillance program.

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 12:06 PM

He did have support from other Senators and Representatives. Rand Paul just has more notoriety than they do.

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 12:08 PM

Do you have any evidence that it is of value, or that it would have helped to prevent a terrorist attack like 9/11?

Ive read many articles on the purpose of phone data mining. They only way to stay ahead of the curve of terrorists an terrorism is to garner information BEFORE HAND. We all know there is domestic terrorists and terrorists in the country. We know what they are capable of WTC 911 and boston marathon. The data accrued has stopped many terrorists acts here. Nothing can stop them all.
I dont personally see the big hullaballo about cellphone info gathering. They can do my cell and my home phone if it keeps my grandkids one IOTA safer, even a half of 1%. Im sorry im just not afraid of them doing that

How does mass surveillance of American citizens, 99.99% of whom are not AQ or ISIS terrorists, help protect the country from terrorist attacks? And how would it have helped prevent 9/11?

Ethereal
05-21-2015, 12:15 PM
It could very well be im wrong on this and in the minority. Im not aware of some of the things people have mentioned that it does.

Glen Greenwald won a Pulitzer for his work on the NSA mass surveillance program. Here are a couple of key articles that help explain the depth of it. Keep in mind, everything Greenwald claims in his articles is supported by official government documentation that Edward Snowden leaked.

NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order)

HOW THE NSA PLANS TO INFECT ‘MILLIONS’ OF COMPUTERS WITH MALWARE (https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/03/12/nsa-plans-infect-millions-computers-malware/)

donttread
05-21-2015, 08:12 PM
What part of this legislation do you think is necessary? And how do you think the "patriot" act serves to prevent terrorist attacks like 9/11, which was caused primarily by a failure to share information among federal agencies?

Orwell warned us about government spying and about doublespeak" where yu can bet that something called the "Patriot Act " is pretty damned unpatriotic

Ethereal
05-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Orwell warned us about government spying and about doublespeak" where yu can bet that something called the "Patriot Act " is pretty $#@!ed unpatriotic

For anyone who has read 1984, the contemporary similarities to it are well past creepy.