PDA

View Full Version : How Many of You Are Nimbys?

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Not In My Back Yard

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/opinion/britain-goes-nimby.html

An excellent editorial from the New York Times. Yes, sometimes even we liberals need to be reminded of what is important and we must all make sacrifices for the common good. Whereas conservatives stress independence and survival-of-the-fittest, we know the most enlightened societies function best when it works as a collective to make the lives of everyone better. So do not be a NIMBY but rather volunteer and make an example of yourself first and foremost. Is that clear enough for you all?

Mister D
08-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Not In My Back Yard

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/opinion/britain-goes-nimby.html

An excellent editorial from the New York Times. Yes, sometimes even we liberals need to be reminded of what is important and we must all make sacrifices for the common good. Whereas conservatives stress independence and survival-of-the-fittest, we know the most enlightened societies function best when it works as a collective to make the lives of everyone better. So do not be a NIMBY but rather volunteer and make an example of yourself first and foremost. Is that clear enough for you all?

Conservatives do not stress survival of the fittest. That's nonsense. Secondly, please don;t try to make my life better. Thanks.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Moreover, considering the history of the 20th century and the horrors perpetrated by the "collective" mentality it amazes me that someone could write that with a straight face.

Conley
08-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Moreover, considering the history of the 20th century and the horrors perpetrated by the "collective" mentality it amazes me that someone could write that with a straight face.

Yeah, that and the Borg.

http://wildmanhangout.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ObamaBorg.jpg

:o

Mister D
08-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Besides, who are the NIMBYs we hear about? Rich Kennedys who don;t want wind turbines to spoil their view?

Conley
08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Well it does make a good point about the hypocrisy of some liberals. Nice article Pen. ;D

Mister D
08-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Well it does make a good point about the hypocrisy of some liberals. Nice article Pen. ;D

I guess that is "clear enough for us all", Pen.

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 06:42 PM

A conservative measures a society by how well its wealthiest members do while a liberal examines those suffering the most. There are so many in our society without adequate food, medicine, and shelter. How can anyone claim our society is civilized when we allow such to perpetuate in the face of such boundless wealth? There is a disparity there which you and others have allowed yourself to become blind to. As a society one of our goals should be to resolve such suffering.

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM

I believe you were aiming for sarcasm but I will be a better person and take it as a complement. There is not a one among us who is not a hypocrite in some way. Take note of that before you accuse liberals of certain behaviours.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM

A conservative measures a society by how well its wealthiest members do while a liberal examines those suffering the most. There are so many in our society without adequate food, medicine, and shelter. How can anyone claim our society is civilized when we allow such to perpetuate in the face of such boundless wealth? There is a disparity there which you and others have allowed yourself to become blind to. As a society one of our goals should be to resolve such suffering.

Boundless wealth? Really, Pen? I guess we can get rid of that debt on Monday.

"Poor" Americans are fat, they own air conditioners, and they have cable television. Poverty has become an utterly relative term and has thus been trivialized. Secondly, we all want to help the poor, Pen, but differ on how best to do so.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

I believe you were aiming for sarcasm but I will be a better person and take it as a complement. There is not a one among us who is not a hypocrite in some way. Take note of that before you accuse liberals of certain behaviours.

NO, I'd say that we are all inconsistent at times. Hypocrisy is a strong charge.

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Some bad people were communists. Therefore all communists are bad people.

I am sorry to inform my sparring partner but with thinking like that you will not make it through my lessons.

Logical philosophy is well worth learning.

Conley
08-27-2011, 06:52 PM

No, really, I thought it made a good point of pointing out the hypocrisy.

D, sorry if that word was too strong but I suppose I do use it a lot. Inconsistency is one thing but when people always seem to think that others need to change then I feel it's pretty consistent!

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 06:55 PM

"Poor" Americans are fat, they own air conditioners, and they have cable television. Poverty has become an utterly relative term and has thus been trivialized. Secondly, we all want to help the poor, Pen, but differ on how best to do so.

There are many who do not even have homes, so let us not pretend that they are all privy to such accoutrement's such as air conditioners and televisions. Do you not see the homeless in this country? You seem to identify a small segment of society and then determine that all is such. Bear with me as I explain it to you. Perhaps a woman pays for her cable television with her welfare check. You observe this behavior and immediately decree all welfare is being wasted and that the program should end.

Additionally what does someone's girth have to do with any thing?

It seems that there are many who do not wish to help the less fortunate especially when that help comes from his or her own pocket.

Pendragon
08-27-2011, 07:03 PM

D, sorry if that word was too strong but I suppose I do use it a lot. Inconsistency is one thing but when people always seem to think that others need to change then I feel it's pretty consistent!

Duly noted.

Conley
08-27-2011, 07:22 PM
So if NIMBY is not in my back yard, what's a PIMBY ???

Mister D
08-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Some bad people were communists. Therefore all communists are bad people.

I am sorry to inform my sparring partner but with thinking like that you will not make it through my lessons.

Logical philosophy is well worth learning.

Uh, Pen, communism is an awful system. It has never worked and it has resulted in the deaths of tens of millions human beings at the hands of their own government. If you'd like to think of yourself as a good communist that's fine but it's also silly.

You're right that I won't make it through your "lessons". Basic decency precludes it.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 07:35 PM

In some cases it applies. I am just responding to the claim that all of us are hypocrites. I think we are all inconsistent at times.

Conley
08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Ah, that makes sense.

Mister D
08-27-2011, 07:40 PM

There are many who do not even have homes, so let us not pretend that they are all privy to such accoutrement's such as air conditioners and televisions. Do you not see the homeless in this country? You seem to identify a small segment of society and then determine that all is such. Bear with me as I explain it to you. Perhaps a woman pays for her cable television with her welfare check. You observe this behavior and immediately decree all welfare is being wasted and that the program should end.

Additionally what does someone's girth have to do with any thing?

It seems that there are many who do not wish to help the less fortunate especially when that help comes from his or her own pocket.

The homeless I see tend to be either mentally ill or have obvious substance abuse problems.

Again, "poverty" has become relative and it has been trivialized. Our poor are fat (i.e. not going hungry. Did you really need to ask?), they have air conditioning and cable television. That's just to put your bellyaching about poverty into perspective. Secondly, I've said nothing about welfare. Was it with you and straw men? Perhaps you shouldn't be trying to teach other about logic. ;)

wingrider
08-27-2011, 08:31 PM

sounds like some people should have made better choices in their lives.. I raised my family and never took a handout from anyone... when times got tough I just worked that much harder...take care of yourself and your family and don't be a burden on society

Conley
08-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I guess I'm a NIMBY since I don't want the government putting anything in my back yard. I see nothing wrong with feeling that way either!

Pendragon
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM

sounds like some people should have made better choices in their lives.. I raised my family and never took a handout from anyone... when times got tough I just worked that much harder...take care of yourself and your family and don't be a burden on society

What if you are too ill or hindered to be able to work for your family?

What if you die in an accident?

What if something happens such that you cannot take care of your family?

Will you feel the same when you grow old and infirm? What then of your self reliance?

Pimby
08-28-2011, 08:42 PM
son i mean no harm but you remind me of my neighbors dog a good heart but dumb enough to eat cat shit

wingrider
08-28-2011, 09:23 PM

What if you are too ill or hindered to be able to work for your family?

What if you die in an accident?

What if something happens such that you cannot take care of your family?

Will you feel the same when you grow old and infirm? What then of your self reliance?

not to worry there fella, I have two grown sons who will take me in or I could have a major mishap with a fast moving frieght, or the rapture will happen and I will no longer be around.. in any scenerio I will not be a burden on you or any other tax payer.

MMC
08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Well in talking about the homeless and bums Pen. I tried to get you to bite on this before. So I will take you back to the beginning.

Mr. Wendal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9pfxI1p3v8#)

From the beginning Pen.....What is the Elite Liberal's Solution To this percieved problem by Society? :o